Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 04:38 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, the ketogenic diet that includes gelato, klondike bars, rice crackers, pretzels and all that....
Thanks Mikala for keeping on top of what I do. I haven't mastered that place of perfection YET.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-24-2017 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 04:41 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
If you are eating a significant amount of veggies and protein.....and you think you are doing a Keto-diet, I would advise you to check your ketone-levels. You may be disappointed!

Old 11-29-2017, 11:35 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The Keto diet was brought up at dinner yesterday with friends. One friend is going to start it as her parents both had dementia and she's reading a book now about the keto diet and alzheimers.

I'm basically doing keto as I avoid breads, pastas, white potatoes --- yesterday I had some mashed potatoes, but this is rare.

https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource....s-disease.html
Yes, I saw an episode of Dr. Oz on this topic. I am not a big fan of Dr. Oz and I usually think he's a sell out but it did come to my attention. They mention intermittent fasting and Ketogenic diets as a preventative and even a reversal for some.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:31 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Yes, I saw an episode of Dr. Oz on this topic. I am not a big fan of Dr. Oz and I usually think he's a sell out but it did come to my attention. They mention intermittent fasting and Ketogenic diets as a preventative and even a reversal for some.
That is something called confirmation bias. You believe it because you agree with it.

I am not saying you are wrong - but if Dr. Oz had one someone talking about eating grains and starches and losing weight and getting healthy you would probably dismiss it. The fact of the matter different diets work for a variety of reasons. Intermittent fasting is supposed to be a great option for health. For people with diabetes Keto works as long as people can stick with it.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That is something called confirmation bias. You believe it because you agree with it.

I am not saying you are wrong - but if Dr. Oz had one someone talking about eating grains and starches and losing weight and getting healthy you would probably dismiss it. The fact of the matter different diets work for a variety of reasons. Intermittent fasting is supposed to be a great option for health. For people with diabetes Keto works as long as people can stick with it.
You seem to really be stuck on the losing weight thing. What I said I did not make up, it came from the show and it had NOTHING to do with losing weight.

You're bias is certainly obvious and I keep hearing the same thing over and over. If the diet works for you then great but it doesn't work for me. I GET THAT. It's about health, I moved on from losing weight a long time ago and it has nothing to do with diabetes. Diets are not only to lose weight but to gain and maintain health

The videos play in short segments, one will follow the other IF you even care to watch. The diet they talk about is the Ketoflex 12/3 diet. 12 hours of fasting, 3 hours between eating and bedtime.

This is just a part of the whole segment on the Dr. Oz show, the part where they talk to some patients. Previous to this are the hard tests like brain scans that show real improvements, following this is the part where they talk about the diet.

Two Patients Share Their Cognitive Symptoms - The Controversial Doctor Who Claims He Can Reverse Alzheimer

How healthy food can prevent Alzheimer’s – The End of Alzheimer’s book!

Old 11-29-2017, 03:08 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
You seem to really be stuck on the losing weight thing. What I said I did not make up, it came from the show and it had NOTHING to do with losing weight.

You're bias is certainly obvious and I keep hearing the same thing over and over. If the diet works for you then great but it doesn't work for me. I GET THAT. It's about health, I moved on from losing weight a long time ago and it has nothing to do with diabetes. Diets are not only to lose weight but to gain and maintain health

The videos play in short segments, one will follow the other IF you even care to watch. The diet they talk about is the Ketoflex 12/3 diet. 12 hours of fasting, 3 hours between eating and bedtime.

This is just a part of the whole segment on the Dr. Oz show, the part where they talk to some patients. Previous to this are the hard tests like brain scans that show real improvements, following this is the part where they talk about the diet.

Two Patients Share Their Cognitive Symptoms - The Controversial Doctor Who Claims He Can Reverse Alzheimer

Do you have Alzheimers? I'm so sorry, I've always found the thought of that frightening to the point where I will have it addressed in my will.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-29-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Do you have Alzheimers? I'm so sorry, I've always found the thought of that frightening to the point where I will have it addressed in my will.
I do not have it, thank God. If I did, I don't think I would be even posting this. As we all know, diet has a large part to do with our general health, Cancer, Heart Disease, Alzheimer's etc. For a lot of us (including me), it's a bit too late. I am a type 2 diabetic and yes there is the genetic factor but for me it was a poor diet. So no I am not speaking of myself. It goes way beyond weight loss and that was my point. Inflammation IS the enemy and a lot of it comes from consuming refined sugar and carbohydrates. The logical evidence is there and many choose to ignore this evidence, doctors included. You can be thin and fit and still be in poor health.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:42 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
I do not have it, thank God. If I did, I don't think I would be even posting this. As we all know, diet has a large part to do with our general health, Cancer, Heart Disease, Alzheimer's etc. For a lot of us (including me), it's a bit too late. I am a type 2 diabetic and yes there is the genetic factor but for me it was a poor diet. So no I am not speaking of myself. It goes way beyond weight loss and that was my point. Inflammation IS the enemy and a lot of it comes from consuming refined sugar and carbohydrates. The logical evidence is there and many choose to ignore this evidence, doctors included. You can be thin and fit and still be in poor health.
Refined sugar and carbs.....

When you say carbs, are you talking about simple or complex?

I'm thin and fit, but have autoimmune (various) disease. Keto caused the auto immune to flare up so I could barely walk. I do much better with complex carbs (millet, farro, spelt, etc.) and lots of veggies, herbs, spices and the like. I was going slightly pre diabetic, so I added a little more protein to each meal and I am back in normal range.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-29-2017, 04:05 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:

Well for one they are selling books. And so that needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I have seen so many crackpots on Dr Oz that it is hard to distinguish which ones are genuine.
If in fact these claims are true then that is great news. However I am skeptical.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:54 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
I know that you and I debate a great deal about diet but I respect your beliefs. Low carb/fasting/keto-lite changed you and really, that's how diets should work even if I don't like them. My mindset has also changed...shall I even say "transformational"?

I will say this though...the day I became lean (I don't want to say thin because I don't consider myself thin) and fit, my health improved. Weight was my enemy. It helped spawn medical problems that I am still dealing with and will deal with for the rest of my life if I'm lucky. I know who you are talking about, people who are predisposed to be thin yet eat garbage and not gain a pound. Or smokers. Yeah, those people are compromising their health. But my diet, where I consume sensible amounts of fat, protein, and carbs has benefitted me beyond weight loss. I consume sugar because it falls under "feels good". We all need some "feel good" things in our diets, you just have to keep the amounts in check. When I was on vacation, I ate lots of sugar, calorie and fat laden food. As good as the food tasted, my body was suffering. I've returned to eating vegetables, whole grains, beans, lean meat...and I feel so much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss