Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 04:04 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Protein only converts to glucose when there is an excess amount of protein in your diet. Protein is mainly converted into Acetyl-CoA which is an enzyme used to break down fat molecules into glucose. When you limit protein (which you are supposed to do on a keto-diet) you don't consume enough protein to be converted. It is all consumed in breaking down fat molecules. Hence the reason you have to eat it often.

A true ketogenic diet doesn't switch your body from burning glucose to fat. It switches the source that glucose is derived from. For a while (especially in the ketosis stage) ketones replace glucose in your brain allowing it to function appropriately. But your body is still making glucose.
Not all of the fat is not converted to glucose, only the glycerol.

Quote:
The saturated and unsaturated fats in your diet consist of two substances bound together: glycerol and fatty acids. During digestion, they're separated, and each one follows a different path. Glycerol is easily metabolized and used to make glucose. Fatty acids are carried to tissues throughout your body, where they help build cell walls, produce hormones and digest fat-soluble nutrients. Fatty acids can be converted into another substance called acetyl CoA, which is used to create energy, but they’re not turned into glucose.
Acetly CoA is not derived from protein but from fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 06:35 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Not all of the fat is not converted to glucose, only the glycerol.

Acetly CoA is not derived from protein but from fat.

Your body breaks protein down into amino acids that are used to aid in metabolism (amongst other functions). Once glycogen reserves are exhausted the body begins to metabolize reserves of fat and protein. Protein is broken down into oxaloacetic acid that is used in conjuction with Acetyl CoA (again derived from protein) to form citric acid. When there is not enough oxaloacetic acid in the body (typical in keto-diets), Acetyl CoA is diverted to the formation of acetoacetic and 3-hydroxybutanoic acids. Essentially they are turned into ketone bodies which are then used by the heart, kidneys, and brain for metabolism to produce energy. They produce the enzymes needed to for oxidation of fat cells to convert them into glucose to be burned by your metabolism.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:06 AM

I guess we can agree to disagree. It doesn't really matter does it?

Principles of Biochemistry/Gluconeogenesis and Glycogenesis

Old 10-12-2017, 08:52 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Not really.... But we will definitely agree to disagree. There isn't anything I posted that is incorrect.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Not really.... But we will definitely agree to disagree. There isn't anything I posted that is incorrect.
You have to get the last word in huh? There is nothing I posted that was incorrect either. The information is on the link I provided. It's meaningless to most including me.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:09 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Interesting. Because while all of my other numbers have improved due to diet and exercise, my hypertension didn't just miraculously disappear. It's my understanding that once you are diagnosed with true hypertension, it's a condition that's for life that needs to be managed, just like diabetes. Sure, you can take lower doses of medications (as I'm doing now), but it doesn't just go away.

I'm in the normal BMI range and have less than 23% body fat, lost over 70 lbs..yet if I didn't take my medications, my blood pressure would be 180/120 - a walking stroke, despite leaner body size.

I attended a recent AHA seminar and it seems the medical establishment's consensus that overconsumption of saturated fat and trans fat isn't a good thing. Now don't get me wrong, I eat a good enough amount of fat, including saturated since I like red meat. But there's a definite relationship between saturated fat and heart problems.
I have hypertension, and the two times I did keto, it didn't lower my BP at all.

I will never have a diet that does not contain a good supply of phytochemicals and all the other stuff you can't pick up in a vitamin.

I think it would be helpful if people posted "their" definition of "keto", because honestly, I see people all over the map.

"I'm keto. I had pretzels today as a snack and a potato for dinner..." When I did keto I did <30 grams of carbs a day, and from what I read, you can't just have a bad carb day and go right back... it's a process to get you to the keto state.

I'm doing a type of paleo right now, because of blood sugar problems, otherwise I was mainly vegetarian which I enjoyed. I'm not strict paleo, I'll eat any veggie I want (not sure what is on that diet plan), but I cut out most carbs, even the complex healthy ones I was eating.

I'll know for sure what to do when I get the glucose monitor.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-13-2017, 10:29 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
High blood pressure cannot be reversed or put into remission because of dietary changes or exercise. I exercise like a fiend and my diet is great but I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could be med free. Keto absolutely would not do a thing for my hypertension, no more than any other diet would do. Keto would help (again as would any restrictive diet) by lowering my weight, but make my HBP disappear? No, I don't think so.
Of course it can. Maybe not for you, but many people can solve a plethora of health problems with diet. I can lower HBA1C, cholesterol, triglycerides, by losing weight even if I eat at KFC 5 days a week. My BP doesn't change. Other people might have the opposite problem, normal blood pressure even at a normal weight with crappy cholesterol numbers.

Losing weight, reducing salt and caffeine are very simple (albeit not always easy) steps that can make a big difference in BP.

there is a certain segment of us that will always have hypertension no matter what. My grandfather, at a healthy weight (in the US Army Air Corps) was bounced from the pilot program as a young man due to hypertension. Med's certainly allowed him (or helped) to live to a ripe old age.

My brother and I similarly struggle with hypertension...I'm more active than he is, but overweight. He's less active but normal weight. He and his wife went to a 95% vegetarian/vegan diet (she's an RD and did it from a health perspective for his HBP and family cancer history) and he hasn't had a high reading in a long time. So that might be what it takes...he's cut his meat-eating back to basically Saturday or Sunday dinner, and its worked. And no, neither one of them are goofy health freaks, bleeding hearts, or anything else.

Quote:
You don't have to severely restrict carbs to manage diabetes. I had gestational diabetes, and while I did had to monitor the amount of carbs I ate, there was no need for me to do a keto diet. I simply paired a carb with a protein, and monitored my blood sugar. I ate a piece of fruit along with a handful of nuts and my blood sugar was stable. My FIL, whose diabetes is well managed, ate carbs (albeit smaller portions) daily.
Yes, but greatly reducing carbs is often a great first step. Do most people need to go full blown Keto? No, but a lot of Americans eat too many carbs in the first place.

The Keto diet is a different spin on what has been popular off and on for many years. Atkins, Low-Carb, Paleo, Primal, Ketogenic, etc...Are all covers of the same song. Really, it is the flip side of the "low-fat" movement.

Like literally everything, the dose makes the poison. Too much fat is bad. Fat is not the evil poison it was painted to be in previous decades. Too many carbs are bad. Sugar, carbs and Gluten are not the poison that the current crop of Nutrion Authors are claiming.

Carbs and Fat are both macronutrients important to our diet. Removing fat makes many people feel very hungry. Removing carbs makes it hard for some people to function as well.

Demonizing one or the other isn't productive or healthy.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:13 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Of course it can. Maybe not for you, but many people can solve a plethora of health problems with diet. I can lower HBA1C, cholesterol, triglycerides, by losing weight even if I eat at KFC 5 days a week. My BP doesn't change. Other people might have the opposite problem, normal blood pressure even at a normal weight with crappy cholesterol numbers.

Losing weight, reducing salt and caffeine are very simple (albeit not always easy) steps that can make a big difference in BP.

there is a certain segment of us that will always have hypertension no matter what. My grandfather, at a healthy weight (in the US Army Air Corps) was bounced from the pilot program as a young man due to hypertension. Med's certainly allowed him (or helped) to live to a ripe old age.

My brother and I similarly struggle with hypertension...I'm more active than he is, but overweight. He's less active but normal weight. He and his wife went to a 95% vegetarian/vegan diet (she's an RD and did it from a health perspective for his HBP and family cancer history) and he hasn't had a high reading in a long time. So that might be what it takes...he's cut his meat-eating back to basically Saturday or Sunday dinner, and its worked. And no, neither one of them are goofy health freaks, bleeding hearts, or anything else.

Yes, but greatly reducing carbs is often a great first step. Do most people need to go full blown Keto? No, but a lot of Americans eat too many carbs in the first place.

The Keto diet is a different spin on what has been popular off and on for many years. Atkins, Low-Carb, Paleo, Primal, Ketogenic, etc...Are all covers of the same song. Really, it is the flip side of the "low-fat" movement.

Like literally everything, the dose makes the poison. Too much fat is bad. Fat is not the evil poison it was painted to be in previous decades. Too many carbs are bad. Sugar, carbs and Gluten are not the poison that the current crop of Nutrion Authors are claiming.

Carbs and Fat are both macronutrients important to our diet. Removing fat makes many people feel very hungry. Removing carbs makes it hard for some people to function as well.

Demonizing one or the other isn't productive or healthy.
Listen, I'm the biggest proponent of diet and exercise and I agree that making changes in sodium consumption and reduction of body weight helps, but no, I don't think someone who is diagnosed with Stage 1 or 2 hypertension is going to have the condition reversed (as if you never had it) due to diet and exercise alone. Hypertension is a chronic condition, not a temporary one that disappears the moment you fix whatever's out of whack. I've read this in numerous articles on the internet and my doctor, who isn't a pill dispenser, advised me to go on medication. Maybe I'm genetically unlucky in that regard, but I walked the walk - dropped 70 lbs, work out like a nut. So I am no longer overweight or unfit. My BMI is 21.4, my diet is fairly low in sodium. And yet there's no way I would be 120/80 without medication. My hypertension wouldn't just disappear into thin air, even after a 30% body weight loss. And I'm not alone.

and I definitely don't think me doing keto would make my hypertension disappear either.

Americans eat too much either, carbs included. And yes, reducing carbs (and heck, food in general) is helpful for diabetes treatment, but no diabetes doesn't just disappear, as if it was never there, just because someone eliminates carbs from the diet. My FIL is proof of that. He lost a lot of weight, went on a diabetes diet, and still has to take insulin. Albeit in lower doses.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:44 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
The best book I've read on the topic of the low carbs way of eating is Taubes'
"Why We Get Fat".

Also, Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis.. Since I stopped eating highly processed carbs and cut back on the rest of the empty carbs, my health has improved in ways that make me happy. GI issues have cleared up. Weight loss. Achy joints no longer trouble me.

Of course, I am eating some carbs in my vegetables. But very few to none processed carbs.

Fat has been vilified. After the low fat/no fat craze, heart disease, diabetes and obesity were not reduced one bit.

Sodas, pizza, snack foods, and baked goods are nothing but trouble and disease. White flour, sugar, etc. are disease causing.

The fats to avoid are partially hydrogenated fats (found in most baked goods).

There are no medical studies that show saturated fats cause heart disease. We've been sold a bill of goods.

Read "Why We Get Fat". Very revealing.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
I just started Keto to try it out because while I realize it's not Atkins, when I did Atkins years ago, low carb too I had pretty serious sleeping problems. I am on day 3 down 4 pounds and am having sleeping issues which I normally have, but they are even worse now. I do feel good during the day, no Keto flu, so to speak.

I have mostly been eating eggs, bacon, hamburger patties with cheese, and some steamed broccoli. I did buy some Atkins bars just for some sugar taste, they are only net 2 carbs, and they are helping me with my sugar cravings. I realize that is not pure Keto, but so far it's working for me.

I plan to buy some Calcium supplements and increase my Magnesium doses at night. If need be I may even just eat my carbs at night and eat none during the day to help with sleep.

I felt a little bit weaker today haven't had a carb yet, but it's definitely worth it to get the results I am getting. My previous eating plan just wasn't working and when I look at the amount of carbs and refined sugar I was in taking it's no wonder why I ballooned up in spite of exercising 5 times a week.

This eating plan is easier than others because you never feel hungry due to the fat intake.

I am intermittent fasting like Dr. Berg suggested and I think that is why I have lost 4 lbs in 3 days, could just be water weight we'll see. I have about 30 lbs. to lose which I feel I can do in 2 months then it will require the discipline to stay on the plan.

Good luck to everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss