Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 AM

97 posts, read 104,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Like I said, keep reading. Not necessarily the articles I posted but just in general. If you don't want to do the diet then don't. It's as simple as that but to post info on some obscure study on epileptic kids is not going to prove anything to me or anybody else.
The research isnt obscure and that research references other peer reviewed research and so on and so on (evidence based). You are choosing to look at only one side and using unreliable resources, I choose to look at both sides using reliable resources.

I also never said not to do the diet, only that people looking at doing this need to make sure its being done correctly.

Quote:
The diet is now mainstream and there is a LOT of information all over the internet. That's what I meant, keep looking. I would think if Dr's don't know about it then who does?
Yes it may be all over the internet, that unfortunately does not make it right. The people who do know about this diet are called Registered Dietitians, if you want evidenced based advice instead of unreliable internet advice I suggest finding one.

Quote:
Most people would take a Dr's advice over anybody else. Not me necessarily but most. A registered dietitian? That's a joke. They follow what they believe and not necessarily what has been proved by any scientific studies.
That is a pretty broad generalization and bad information not based on facts. If you are talking to a Dietitian that isn't basing their nutrition advice on evidence than find another and report the prior to their respective board.

Quote:
And by the way I have done my own evidence based research and I have been discussing back and forth for a few years on this board. Try doing a search next time, the board is full of posts on this.
I can't make a judgement of whether you know what you are talking about, but the resources you have posted are not reliable in and of themselves in my opinion. Not sure why I would have to do a search I am not the OP, and do not need to know what was said before on this topic to comment in this thread.

To the others, please just do your own research with reliable resources(you can google what this means if in doubt) on this diet it may not be right for you(or it maybe) and if you have underlying medical conditions you need to talk to both a Dr. and a Dietitian before starting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 10:52 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiapo View Post
Yes it may be all over the internet, that unfortunately does not make it right. The people who do know about this diet are called Registered Dietitians, if you want evidenced based advice instead of unreliable internet advice I suggest finding one.
This is the most ironic thing you have posted. YOU ARE on the internet asking questions. Why don't you go find a dietitian? I'm already convinced that it works and my weight loss, increased energy and much improved lab results prove that to me. No more hypertension, normal cholesterol and triglycerides all eating low carb high fat. I don't count calories or carbs for that matter. I just avoid high carb foods like sugar, flour, rice, corn or potatoes and eat plenty of fat including saturated fat. That by itself is enough proof. I only look and read on the internet to reinforce what I already know. Also, I don't follow this diet to lose weight, I do it for overall health. The weight loss is a side effect.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:51 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
This is the most ironic thing you have posted. YOU ARE on the internet asking questions. Why don't you go find a dietitian? I'm already convinced that it works and my weight loss, increased energy and much improved lab results prove that to me. No more hypertension, normal cholesterol and triglycerides all eating low carb high fat. I don't count calories or carbs for that matter. I just avoid high carb foods like sugar, flour, rice, corn or potatoes and eat plenty of fat including saturated fat. That by itself is enough proof. I only look and read on the internet to reinforce what I already know. Also, I don't follow this diet to lose weight, I do it for overall health. The weight loss is a side effect.
Interesting. Because while all of my other numbers have improved due to diet and exercise, my hypertension didn't just miraculously disappear. It's my understanding that once you are diagnosed with true hypertension, it's a condition that's for life that needs to be managed, just like diabetes. Sure, you can take lower doses of medications (as I'm doing now), but it doesn't just go away.

I'm in the normal BMI range and have less than 23% body fat, lost over 70 lbs..yet if I didn't take my medications, my blood pressure would be 180/120 - a walking stroke, despite leaner body size.

I attended a recent AHA seminar and it seems the medical establishment's consensus that overconsumption of saturated fat and trans fat isn't a good thing. Now don't get me wrong, I eat a good enough amount of fat, including saturated since I like red meat. But there's a definite relationship between saturated fat and heart problems.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Actually, some doctors believe that diabetes can be "cured." I've been keto for close to a full year and my A1C and glucose are in the fully normal range. No pre diabetes, no medication, nothing. Diabetes is a dietary condition and can be 100% managed by diet. However, we hear the complaints that severely limiting carbs is so hard. Folks would rather take medication than change the amount of carbs they consume.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:53 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Actually, some doctors believe that diabetes can be "cured." I've been keto for close to a full year and my A1C and glucose are in the fully normal range. No pre diabetes, no medication, nothing. Diabetes is a dietary condition and can be 100% managed by diet. However, we hear the complaints that severely limiting carbs is so hard. Folks would rather take medication than change the amount of carbs they consume.
Some doctors may but there are many who don't.

Can Diabetes Go Away? | Joslin Diabetes Center

It can be managed, it may go into remission. but i believe that diabetes will always be there. my father in law dropped a lot of weight yet still has to take insulin (albeit in a low dose) for the rest of his life. As he got older, he had to inject it. My glucose (as a non-keto dieter) is normal too, but then again I'm not predisposed for diabetes, even when I was overweight.

High blood pressure cannot be reversed or put into remission because of dietary changes or exercise. I exercise like a fiend and my diet is great but I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could be med free. Keto absolutely would not do a thing for my hypertension, no more than any other diet would do. Keto would help (again as would any restrictive diet) by lowering my weight, but make my HBP disappear? No, I don't think so.

You don't have to severely restrict carbs to manage diabetes. I had gestational diabetes, and while I did had to monitor the amount of carbs I ate, there was no need for me to do a keto diet. I simply paired a carb with a protein, and monitored my blood sugar. I ate a piece of fruit along with a handful of nuts and my blood sugar was stable. My FIL, whose diabetes is well managed, ate carbs (albeit smaller portions) daily.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:04 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,859 times
My tips: Drink pickle juice to help with the Keto flu.
I experienced constipation but a magnesium supplement helped.
Cauliflower is your new rice, potatoes or pasta. Rice it, mash it, use it in casseroles.
When you start, don’t complicate things, just cut carbs/sugars/fruit from your diet and add fats to your veggies or proteins. Eggs are your friend. Bacon is your best friend.
Later you can track macros, try recipes, eat berries, and try sugar free sweets.

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I attended a recent AHA seminar and it seems the medical establishment's consensus that overconsumption of saturated fat and trans fat isn't a good thing. Now don't get me wrong, I eat a good enough amount of fat, including saturated since I like red meat. But there's a definite relationship between saturated fat and heart problems.
I bet that the people at the AHA seminar did not ever mention the consumption of saturated fat in the absence of carbohydrates. It's the context that matters. I've always said and will repeat, excessive refined carbs are bad but when combined with fats they are much worse. I agree, trans fats are bad and not because they make us fat or increase lipid levels but because of the inflammation they cause. Seed oils like vegetable and Canola are not considered trans fats but I also avoid them for the same reason. Yes, they may be "no cholesterol" oils but that is not the problem. I posted the article about the Inuits earlier on in the thread.

The Inuit Paradox, How can people who gorge on fat and rarely see a vegetable be healthier than we are?
The Inuit Paradox – High Protein & Fat, No Fruits/Vegetables and yet Lower Heart Disease and Cancer

Quote:
Dewailly says the traditional Inuit diet is high in selenium, common to whale skin, and likely explains why prostate cancer is almost unheard of in the north, as are most other cancers. Cardiovascular disease is also rare, likely because the Inuit diet remains rich in wild game. “The traditional Inuit diet is fats and proteins, no sugar at all,” says Dewailly. “It is probably one of the healthiest diets you can have. The human body is built for that.”
I try to keep my blood sugars down (low carb) which in turn reduces insulin levels. Increased insulin levels cause water retention which in turn cause hypertension. My problem is the opposite, I have to increase my sodium intake to keep my levels normal. My diet causes me to lose fluids at an increased rate. The muscles in my legs have shrinked, not from loss of muscle mass but from a loss of water. My upper body is fine. Anyway, I routinely check my blood pressure and it just fine. It did go down, on my own machine and at the doctor's office. I no longer take my BP med or need it. Google it all you want, you don't have to take my word for it.

Can a Low Carb Diet Lower Blood Pressure?
This one is interesting as well.
https://www.docmuscles.com/bloodpressure/

Quote:
After cutting out the carbohydrates (I’ve kept my carbohydrate intake < 20 grams per day), moderating my protein intake and eating all the fat I am hungry for each day, my recent physical examination at the beginning of June 2016 revealed my blood pressure at 112/64. I don’t remember ever having blood pressure that low. And to be honest, I didn’t sleep well the night before my exam due to a number of middle of the night patient calls.

Last edited by gguerra; 10-11-2017 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 01:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Hypertension and diabetes are different conditions. I would challenge any diabetic to talk it over with their doctor and then do 90 days of strict keto. See how things balance out in the end. Be your own study.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Hypertension and diabetes are different conditions. I would challenge any diabetic to talk it over with their doctor and then do 90 days of strict keto. See how things balance out in the end. Be your own study.
Nobody is saying they are the same. There are multiple benefits to Keto. Technically I am not on a Ketogenic diet. I would say I am on LCHF. I eat too many carbs at an estimated 50g per day average to call it true ketogenic diet. A true ketogenic diet is where you have switched your fuel source from glucose to fat. Protein also converts to glucose so it's not just the carbs themselves.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:35 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Quote:
Nobody is saying they are the same. There are multiple benefits to Keto. Technically I am not on a Ketogenic diet. I would say I am on LCHF. I eat too many carbs at an estimated 50g per day average to call it true ketogenic diet. A true ketogenic diet is where you have switched your fuel source from glucose to fat. Protein also converts to glucose so it's not just the carbs themselves.

Protein only converts to glucose when there is an excess amount of protein in your diet. Protein is mainly converted into Acetyl-CoA which is an enzyme used to break down fat molecules into glucose. When you limit protein (which you are supposed to do on a keto-diet) you don't consume enough protein to be converted. It is all consumed in breaking down fat molecules. Hence the reason you have to eat it often.

A true ketogenic diet doesn't switch your body from burning glucose to fat. It switches the source that glucose is derived from. For a while (especially in the ketosis stage) ketones replace glucose in your brain allowing it to function appropriately. But your body is still making glucose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss