Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 03:23 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,507 times

Advertisements

My friend used a keto diet and it's worked for him in cutting weight. Most people make the mistake of going heavy on the red meat instead of eating more fish for protein. Frankly, while too many carbs are an issue, most Americans aren't exactly protein deficient. I'd say eat more veggies and certain kinds of fruits....and then throw in some fish/chicken. Carbs aren't as bad as people think provided you aren't eating white bread, flour tortillas, cake and pasta every day. A baked sweet potato for example can really give you some fuel for a harder workout and then you'll easily tap into those fat reserves.

Heavier people should focus mostly on 'calories in calories out' since they'll typically have plenty of body fat to lose. When your body fat percentage drops and your ratio of muscle is higher, you'll need more careful monitoring of your food intake to maximize fat loss while minimizing loss of muscle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 03:23 PM

97 posts, read 104,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Well.. it can also have the effect it had on me. I was taken off all cholesterol meds because my lipid profile improved dramatically. I recently had a complete VAP test with my physical and it's the same as the last time. Great. And my results show that I have less that 2% chance of experiencing a heart attack or heart trouble in the next 10 yrs.

My LDL went down, HDL rocketed and the pattern type improved to fat and fluffy.
But.. like someone else said...I've seen WAY too many people tell me they were eating low carb or keto and I watched them for a short period of time and they can say that all they want but they weren't. Reaching for cake... eating pasta, etc. And then there are those that don't really bother to do proper research and think they can eat 2 lbs of bacon a day and a brick of cheddar. Then complain that they're not losing weight and they don't feel good. It's no wonder.
That is great news that it worked for you. I do believe that this way of eating has great potential. People just need to do their research.

I believe I was the one that said that a lot of people I come in contact with are not eating low carb or keto correctly and it is sometimes scary what they are doing thinking its healthy.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:13 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
My sister in law did keto and lost about 85lbs or so within a year. She doesn't exercise, though. Her energy level seems low to me. She is thrilled with the weight loss. I have noticed that she mostly makes keto junk, imo. She makes a lot of baked goods with almond flour instead of white flour, for example. I don't know if that's the plan or not. I prefer to eat non processed, whole foods.

Anyway, I gave keto a try. I don't have any chronic conditions, I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I was completely and utterly miserable. I couldn't get past keto flu. It's a thing. I also couldn't do my strength training or cardio. I have no idea how you'd eat out on that plan and keep the precise ratio.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
My sister in law did keto and lost about 85lbs or so within a year. She doesn't exercise, though. Her energy level seems low to me. She is thrilled with the weight loss. I have noticed that she mostly makes keto junk, imo. She makes a lot of baked goods with almond flour instead of white flour, for example. I don't know if that's the plan or not. I prefer to eat non processed, whole foods.

Anyway, I gave keto a try. I don't have any chronic conditions, I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I was completely and utterly miserable. I couldn't get past keto flu. It's a thing. I also couldn't do my strength training or cardio. I have no idea how you'd eat out on that plan and keep the precise ratio.
With any reducing plan, exercise is always advised.

Eating out is easy. Order a protein and a bunch of non-starchy veggies in any available form. Or soup and salad or vegetarian entrees.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:47 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Here's the forum - in the HEALTH & WELLNESS thread - that discusses this - https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...b-low-fat.html

Old 10-10-2017, 10:55 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Most people here already know how I feel about the Keto diet lol. Not my thing and if I'm going to do something for life I gotta like it

Old 10-11-2017, 06:54 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

The keto flu is definitely a real thing. The first time I went on a keto diet I literally felt like I had the flu. For about 4 days I was miserable while my body tried to figure out how to flip the switch. I stuck it out and once I came out the other side I felt fantastic.

This go around the symptoms were much less severe. For one day I felt kind of "off" and tired. My wife just felt tired for about a week. We do eat out on occasion but we choose restaurants where we know what are good staples to have on our diets and what to avoid.

I spent last week painting the inside of a 3000 sq.ft. house for my wife's best friend (between my day job and painting I was working 16 hr days) and moved furniture up and down stairs for 10 hrs Saturday. I never felt tired or sore which is a huge bonus for me considering 6 months ago I struggled to get through simple lawn cutting on a riding mower.

I have also found my sleep pattern has changed. I suffer with a sleep disorder (not sleep apnea) and used to struggle to get 2-3 hrs per night because my brain wouldn't shut down. Now, I've noticed that once my head hits the pillow I don't move until the alarm goes off.

It's been a great thing for us. I did struggle with the lack of fiber in the beginning but once I learned what to eat to manage that it hasn't been an issue. But of course everyone is different and YMMV.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiapo View Post
Keep reading what? I referenced a peer reviewed journal article (one of many I found). I wouldn't consider the Huff (I'm not sure of the Discover but it does not seem to be peer reviewed) to be a reliable resource or based on a larger body of scientific evidence. I see a lot of Doctors signed on the that opinion piece, do you know how much nutrition education a normal Dr. receives (I do not know what these Dr.s in the article do for work)? The Dr.s I have talked to say less than a day. So I do not blindly follow their nutrition advice. (Some Dr.s are still saying to cut out eggs to lower cholesterol). I would utilize a registered dietitian for my nutrition questions

Now the Discover did have some names (Cordain) who I tend to agree with. But that was not a research piece as you implied.

Again, I am not against and I tend to lean toward a ketogenic type diet, but following it blindly without doing your own evidenced based research(what foods to eat and what to stay away from) could cause health issues.

With all that being said Im sure I can find research that states the health benefits of a ketogenic diet, just know that there is research to the contrary, the evidence suggest that an elevated serum lipid profile is very possible with this type of eating.
Like I said, keep reading. Not necessarily the articles I posted but just in general. If you don't want to do the diet then don't. It's as simple as that but to post info on some obscure study on epileptic kids is not going to prove anything to me or anybody else. The diet is now mainstream and there is a LOT of information all over the internet. That's what I meant, keep looking. I would think if Dr's don't know about it then who does? You can't win in this argument. Most people would take a Dr's advice over anybody else. Not me necessarily but most. A registered dietitian? That's a joke. They follow what they believe and not necessarily what has been proved by any scientific studies.

And by the way I have done my own evidence based research and I have been discussing back and forth for a few years on this board. Try doing a search next time, the board is full of posts on this.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
With any reducing plan, exercise is always advised.

Eating out is easy. Order a protein and a bunch of non-starchy veggies in any available form. Or soup and salad or vegetarian entrees.
But where's the fat? Keto is high fat, mod protein, low carb. Planning meals that met that criteria was difficult at home.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The keto flu is definitely a real thing. The first time I went on a keto diet I literally felt like I had the flu. For about 4 days I was miserable while my body tried to figure out how to flip the switch. I stuck it out and once I came out the other side I felt fantastic.

This go around the symptoms were much less severe. For one day I felt kind of "off" and tired. My wife just felt tired for about a week. We do eat out on occasion but we choose restaurants where we know what are good staples to have on our diets and what to avoid.

I spent last week painting the inside of a 3000 sq.ft. house for my wife's best friend (between my day job and painting I was working 16 hr days) and moved furniture up and down stairs for 10 hrs Saturday. I never felt tired or sore which is a huge bonus for me considering 6 months ago I struggled to get through simple lawn cutting on a riding mower.

I have also found my sleep pattern has changed. I suffer with a sleep disorder (not sleep apnea) and used to struggle to get 2-3 hrs per night because my brain wouldn't shut down. Now, I've noticed that once my head hits the pillow I don't move until the alarm goes off.

It's been a great thing for us. I did struggle with the lack of fiber in the beginning but once I learned what to eat to manage that it hasn't been an issue. But of course everyone is different and YMMV.
That is very encouraging. I'm almost tempted to give it a try. How's hunger control?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss