Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:06 AM

1,195 posts, read 987,763 times

Advertisements

A professor came up with a diet that's 90% carb, 5% fat, 5% protein of eating white rice/grain, fruit and sauce (jam, duck sauce, etc). I think women may like it more than men being it has plenty of sweetness. But I thought it's interesting that people lose weight on this and seem to enjoy the food, it's not a dreadful thing of counting calories and feeling unsatisfied. I never realized white rice is 5% protein, but considering how people eat it daily some with little else that makes sense. I think I'm going to eat more rice in the future. I have a 20 pound bag I bought just before I decided to diet. It's more healthy than many breads and can be ate with many things such as yellow curry, stir fry tofu, beans, chili, fish, fruit, sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 11:40 AM

1,098 posts, read 904,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
A professor came up with a diet that's 90% carb, 5% fat, 5% protein of eating white rice/grain, fruit and sauce (jam, duck sauce, etc). I think women may like it more than men being it has plenty of sweetness. But I thought it's interesting that people lose weight on this and seem to enjoy the food, it's not a dreadful thing of counting calories and feeling unsatisfied. I never realized white rice is 5% protein, but considering how people eat it daily some with little else that makes sense. I think I'm going to eat more rice in the future. I have a 20 pound bag I bought just before I decided to diet. It's more healthy than many breads and can be ate with many things such as yellow curry, stir fry tofu, beans, chili, fish, fruit, sauce.
You've got to realize that muscle weighs much more than fat. It seems to me like you'd lose a lot of healthy muscle on 90% carb, 5% fat and 5% protein.

Weight is not everything. I'd be willing to bet that a good amount of that weight loss is coming from muscle loss/lower bone density.

Eating more rice is a great idea but I think 90% carb, 5% fat and 5% protein is taking it a little too far, but if you believe in it, give it a try.

Last edited by Jame22; 09-30-2017 at 11:50 AM..

Old 09-30-2017, 12:11 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
OP, you seem to be willing buy whatever diet snake oil some "doctor" with a video on YouTube is willing to sell.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
OP, you seem to be willing buy whatever diet snake oil some "doctor" with a video on YouTube is willing to sell.
I'd also have to add, that just because someone is a professor or a doctor, it doesn't mean that they know what they're talking about or have your best interests in mind. There's a lot of bad information and leftist dogma floating around academia these days. (Grains good, meat bad being one of them)

Last edited by Jame22; 09-30-2017 at 12:49 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
You've got to realize that muscle weighs much more than fat. It seems to me like you'd lose a lot of healthy muscle on 90% carb, 5% fat and 5% protein.

Weight is not everything. I'd be willing to bet that a good amount of that weight loss is coming from muscle loss/lower bone density.

Eating more rice is a great idea but I think 90% carb, 5% fat and 5% protein is taking it a little too far, but if you believe in it, give it a try.
If 5% of protein comes from rice and some from fat that could add up to 10% protein in actuality. I don't think this diet is meant to be permanent but to lose weight. I think it's a good option for someone whose truly overweight because fat people already have lots of protein stored in their body. People need to lose their fat before building more muscle unless they want to be a fat muscular person. My point is basically people shouldn't shy away from rice or remove carb in general, carb is energy needed to exercise more.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've lost a lot of weight in a short period, probably more than most people are willing to do, period.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
If 5% of protein comes from rice and some from fat that could add up to 10% protein in actuality. I don't think this diet is meant to be permanent but to lose weight. I think it's a good option for someone whose truly overweight because fat people already have lots of protein stored in their body. People need to lose their fat before building more muscle unless they want to be a fat muscular person. My point is basically people shouldn't shy away from rice or remove carb in general, carb is energy needed to exercise more.
Ehh, not really, you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Fat people don't have a bunch of stored protein, fat people are...fat..not muscular. People shouldn't shy away from carbs, but telling them they should eat low fat and low protein is some of the worst advice you can give, in my opinion. The focus should be on nutrition not carbs, fats & protein.

Carbs are helpful for exercise, but they are not essential. High quality nutrition is essential..macro nutrient breakdown isn't as important

Last edited by Jame22; 09-30-2017 at 01:49 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 01:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
What happened to your 500 calorie diet?

Old 09-30-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What happened to your 500 calorie diet?
Today is the 5th day, I'm finishing it.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:26 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
Quote:
I've lost a lot of weight in a short period, probably more than most people are willing to do, period.
Losing a lot of weight in a short periods of time shouldn't be your goal for overall health or wellness. I lost a lot of weight quickly when I had norovirus, but I wouldn't recommended as a lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss