Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Y'know, rice as a side dish or mixed with other portions is that much less likely to lead to weight loss. A single cup of rice is 200 calories, most people easily have two cups without even realizing it. If you include rice in two meals a day you're automatically jumping to at least half your calorie payload on that day, and that's a whole lot to commit to any one food source.

Frankly, it doesn't make sense in the context with which you explain it.

Can you share the source of this information so I can read it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I eat rice and beans almost daily (1 cup rice with 1/8 cup beans). 227 calories, which is really not that big of a deal over the course of a day. Most starches are in the 150-250 range. In total, my dinner is probably 500 calories, which is about right (I eat 1500-1600 calories give or take most days of the week). Rice can easily be consumed in one's diet, plus you must be mindful that in many cultures, rice is an important staple food.

Of course, as much as I like it, there's no way I'm making a diet of it.
I aim for a happy medium between the two if you. I love rice, I could eat 2 cups of rice with butter and salt or soy sauce.

I shoot for 1/2-3/4 of a cup most of the time. If I am having rice and beans, it is more like 1/2-3/4 cup of beans. . Extra fiber.

A skew a little heavier on the fat. This seems to work well from and energy and satiety perspective for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 10:06 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Y'know, rice as a side dish or mixed with other portions is that much less likely to lead to weight loss. A single cup of rice is 200 calories, most people easily have two cups without even realizing it. If you include rice in two meals a day you're automatically jumping to at least half your calorie payload on that day, and that's a whole lot to commit to any one food source.

Frankly, it doesn't make sense in the context with which you explain it.

Can you share the source of this information so I can read it?
Some people eat bread every day as a part of their meals, it's the same with rice. Most "rice" cultures have with something fatty like meat, curry, or beans/lentils. Yogurt or curd goes well with it. Here's a link:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/2013/12/...the-rice-diet/

Old 10-05-2017, 01:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
A professor came up with a diet that's 90% carb, 5% fat, 5% protein of eating white rice/grain, fruit and sauce (jam, duck sauce, etc)..
Rice has a high glycemic index fruits and jam type sauces are high in sugar content,this diet doesnt sound to healthy. if losing weight is your desired goal a balanced diet with exercise would be a healthier way to go.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:40 AM

Here are the details of the diet from the original site. There are variations but the diet was first created to cure disease:

The Rice Diet Components

*Dry rice of 250 to 350 grams daily forms the basis of the diet. Any kind of rice is used as long as it contains no milk or salt. The rice is boiled or steamed in plain water or fruit juice, without salt, milk or fat. (One cup of dry white rice weighs about 200 grams, and contains about 13 grams of protein, 150 grams of carbohydrate, 1 gram of fat, and 700 calories.)
*Calorie intake is usually 2,000 to 2,400 calories daily. Intake varies based upon the patient’s condition: underweight people are fed more calories, and vice versa.
*Fruit and fruit juices are allowed.
*Dried fruits can be used as long as nothing but sugar has been added.
*White sugar may be used as desired (ad libitum); on average a patient takes in about 100 grams daily (400 calories) but, if necessary (to maintain body weight), as much as 500 grams (2000 calories) daily has been used.
*No avocados, dates, or nuts.
*No tomato or vegetable juices.
*Supplementary vitamins are added in the following amounts: vitamin A 5,000 units, vitamin D 1,000 units, thiamine chloride 5 mg, riboflavin 5 mg, niacinamide 25 mg, calcium pantothenate 2 mg. (However, none of the Rice Diet patients during five months of treatment showed any signs (epithelial, neural or metabolic) to make one suspect any vitamin deficiency.
*Adaptation to the diet takes about two months.
*Exercise is encouraged. Bed rest is only advised with severe conditions.
*Water intake is restricted in some severely ill patients to less than 1.5 liters (6 cups) a day to prevent water intoxication and electrolyte imbalances.
*A few patients with kidney disease cannot tolerate the diet because of their inability to retain minerals.
*Once the patient’s health has returned, then small amounts of non-leguminous vegetables, potatoes, lean meat or fish (all prepared without salt or fat) may be added. However, if these additions result in adverse consequences (elevated blood pressure, enlargement of the heart, abnormal EKG changes, worsening kidney or eye conditions, etc.), then the basic Rice Diet, without modification, must be continued.
*A physician competent in diet therapy should follow anyone in need of the Rice Diet. Sicker patients need closer supervision.

The nutrient breakdown is about 2,000 to 2,400 calories per day (depending on the patient’s body weight): 95% carbohydrate, 4 to 5% protein (20 to 25 grams), 2 to 3% fat (rice is relatively high in the essential fat linoleic acid), 140 milligrams of calcium, and 150 milligrams of sodium daily. For more rapid and effective weight loss, the calories are restricted.

Why White Rice And Table Sugar?

One reason Kempner chose rice was because he believed that rice proteins were easily assimilated and there was no concern about getting sufficient amounts of the essential amino acids. (This adequacy and completeness of protein is not limited to rice, and is true for all starches, including corn, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.) He chose rice rather than another starch because in his day, nearly half of the world’s population consumed large amounts of rice (sometimes rice made up 80% to 90% of their diet).

White rice, as opposed to brown whole-grain rice, was used because it was considered more palatable to the general public and was more readily available. Plain white rice contains about 8% of calories as protein. The addition of simple sugars brings the protein content of the Rice Diet down to 5% or fewer of total calories. The body only needs a small amount of protein daily (fewer than 5% of calories from food). The liver and kidneys must process and excrete any protein consumed beyond the basic requirements, causing extra work and often organ damage.

The addition of white table sugar adds calories without protein and fat. Fruits and juices are also high in sugar (carbohydrate) calories and low in fat and protein. The primary benefits of the Rice Diet are accomplished by easing the workload on compromised tissues and organs by providing them with clean-burning energy from carbohydrates and avoiding common dietary poisons such as salt, fat, cholesterol, and animal protein. In such a supportive environment the body’s healing powers can outpace the damages once caused by unhealthy foods. Dr. Kempner added multivitamins, which may be necessary because of all the refined foods served. Using whole foods (specifically the McDougall starch-based diet), rather than white rice and sugar, provides all necessary vitamins and minerals. No supplements are recommended other than vitamin B12.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/2013/12/...the-rice-diet/

Old 10-05-2017, 08:39 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,752 times
Maybe it works for some people with specific health problems, but for me this diet would result in me being morbidly obese, tired and hungry all the time (from all the simple carbs/sugar), and probably diabetic. It would be interesting to see some independent studies on it.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:24 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Rice in and of itself doesn't cause obesity.

If you ate an all rice diet that was 1500 calories, you'd lose weight over time. this isn't nutritionally sound and rice doesn't have any magic properties. it's because there's a caloric deficit, and at the end of the day that's how weight is lost.

If you are not predisposed to diabetes and even if you were, eating rice doesn't all of a sudden cause you do develop diabetes. Neither does eating sugar. However, eating a diet that is filled with lots of sugar and carbs of low nutritional value may cause you to overeat because, alone, these dietary items so little to satiate. That is why I eat sweets in moderation and always pair rice with things that boost its nutritional profile like beans. Of the starches, rice is the lowest when it comes to nutrition. At the same time, it is one of most loved starches/grain in the world, probably more than wheat or potatoes. Rice is a mainstay for many cultures and they don't have nearly as many weight problems or health issues as we do.

Just look at the diets of Asians. They eat rice multiple times per DAY and do you see them overweight? They eat smaller portions overall and have complementary meals that feature rice, a meat/tofu, and a veggie item.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:04 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Overall it just doesn't sound healthy. Why not just lose weight by keeping your calories under "X" amount, and eat whole foods. Lean protein, vegetables, fruits and grains? Out of all the grains available white rice is not the healthiest choice.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-05-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Overall it just doesn't sound healthy. Why not just lose weight by keeping your calories under "X" amount, and eat whole foods. Lean protein, vegetables, fruits and grains? Out of all the grains available white rice is not the healthiest choice.
Right now I'm on the "welfare diet", basically u don't eat much because money is tight. I been on about 5 distinct diets in the past 2 or 3 months, lost 30 pounds as of today. Finally these nasty frozen vegetables will be at least cooked and tried.

1st I quit soda that wasn't diet and avoided junk food
2nd I quit all soda and ate less
3rd I simply ate less
4th I severally ate less
5th I'm stretching dollars until next pay, had rice today, but isn't the proper rice diet, added black beans and sour cream, salsa

Old 10-05-2017, 08:52 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post

I don't think I ever want to be in the ketogenic state for long.
Why not?

I've been in a ketogenic state for about 2 years now. I've never felt better, been in better shape, or been healthier.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Why not?

I've been in a ketogenic state for about 2 years now. I've never felt better, been in better shape, or been healthier.
I'm practically a vegetarian, I only eat shrimp and chicken on occasion which makes it tougher, not even a fan of fish pork or beef. That leaves me with dairy, eggs, nuts and tofu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss