Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 07:16 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times

Advertisements

I'm on the Hersey's diet, nothing but chocolate and ice cream. Don't understand why I'm not losing weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 07:20 PM

1,195 posts, read 984,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Lets be honest, everyone wants to lose weight quickly. It doesn't go on quickly though, therefore it should not come off quickly, that is if you want to maintain that loss. Quick weight loss can be a boost for some to continue to lose weight, but most people gain the weight right back and often gain more weight back. Fast weight loss is not the smart way to lose weight.
Broadly speaking I get it. I don't expect to gain anything as I'm going to slowly increase my food and of better quality than before I started. I'll increase exercise as well. So instead of losing 3 or 4 pounds per week, I'll be losing 2 the week after, then lose 1 during my last week, then steady.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'm on the Hersey's diet, nothing but chocolate and ice cream. Don't understand why I'm not losing weight.
Just eat less of it and take vitamins.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:18 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Relying on any single food source for the purposes of weight loss can work, provided you keep calorie intake low enough to create a sustainable deficit.

I consider rice to be an odd choice because for me, it would take 3-4 cups of the stuff to make me feel full at dinnertime, and to a slightly lesser degree at lunchtime. At approximately 200 calories per cup, that would result in roughly 1,400 calories worth of rice not including breakfast and any sauces that may be added in for flavoring.

However, regardless of whether or not it can lead to a weight loss result, it's definitely not a sustainable diet and that's usually where I struggle with why anyone would even try it.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Relying on any single food source for the purposes of weight loss can work, provided you keep calorie intake low enough to create a sustainable deficit.

I consider rice to be an odd choice because for me, it would take 3-4 cups of the stuff to make me feel full at dinnertime, and to a slightly lesser degree at lunchtime. At approximately 200 calories per cup, that would result in roughly 1,400 calories worth of rice not including breakfast and any sauces that may be added in for flavoring.

However, regardless of whether or not it can lead to a weight loss result, it's definitely not a sustainable diet and that's usually where I struggle with why anyone would even try it.
The professor chose rice because it's more palatable on average, especially with what it's ate with or what u pour on top of it. Ex. chicken and rice. Of course for people use to burgers or pasta it wouldn't seem sustainable.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:35 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,752 times
Some people may be able to lose weight on a high carb low fat diet, but for many people, including me, it would lead to weight gain or at best, maintenance of an unhealthy weight (30-40 pounds overweight). I know because I actually really like rice, as well as pasta and most of the "white" carbs, but had to cut 80-90% of them out before I could lose weight, even with lots of working out (running and weight lifting). I also had symptoms of hypoglycemia if I didn't eat every 2 hours (I'm not diabetic). If you try it I'm curious to know if it works for you.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Wave Carpetbagger View Post
Some people may be able to lose weight on a high carb low fat diet, but for many people, including me, it would lead to weight gain or at best, maintenance of an unhealthy weight (30-40 pounds overweight). I know because I actually really like rice, as well as pasta and most of the "white" carbs, but had to cut 80-90% of them out before I could lose weight, even with lots of working out (running and weight lifting). I also had symptoms of hypoglycemia if I didn't eat every 2 hours (I'm not diabetic). If you try it I'm curious to know if it works for you.
I haven't tried it so it's just hear-say to me. The key is suppose to be feeling full from rice, therefore not overeating or having other cravings.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You could lose weight just eating those things as long as you stuck within a calorie burning range. Dont recommend it though.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:01 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
The professor chose rice because it's more palatable on average, especially with what it's ate with or what u pour on top of it. Ex. chicken and rice. Of course for people use to burgers or pasta it wouldn't seem sustainable.
Y'know, rice as a side dish or mixed with other portions is that much less likely to lead to weight loss. A single cup of rice is 200 calories, most people easily have two cups without even realizing it. If you include rice in two meals a day you're automatically jumping to at least half your calorie payload on that day, and that's a whole lot to commit to any one food source.

Frankly, it doesn't make sense in the context with which you explain it.

Can you share the source of this information so I can read it?

Old 10-04-2017, 04:39 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Y'know, rice as a side dish or mixed with other portions is that much less likely to lead to weight loss. A single cup of rice is 200 calories, most people easily have two cups without even realizing it. If you include rice in two meals a day you're automatically jumping to at least half your calorie payload on that day, and that's a whole lot to commit to any one food source.

Frankly, it doesn't make sense in the context with which you explain it.

Can you share the source of this information so I can read it?
I eat rice and beans almost daily (1 cup rice with 1/8 cup beans). 227 calories, which is really not that big of a deal over the course of a day. Most starches are in the 150-250 range. In total, my dinner is probably 500 calories, which is about right (I eat 1500-1600 calories give or take most days of the week). Rice can easily be consumed in one's diet, plus you must be mindful that in many cultures, rice is an important staple food.

Of course, as much as I like it, there's no way I'm making a diet of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss