Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 AM

97 posts, read 104,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Common misconception. Your primary source of fuel is meat (protein) and vegetables so you are getting plenty of nutrition. However, you will excrete a lot of minerals with a ketogenic diet, so taking a multi-vitamin along with a good amount of calcium, magnesium and potassium is advised.

As far as jumping into it or easing into it, I've done it both ways. I cut out the unhealthy carbs like flour and sugar first and then moved on to the other starches. It helped me mentally adjust to what I needed to do. YMMV. I've also done the "all at once" thing. You'll have an adjustment period of about 3 days while your body goes from converting carbs to fuel to burning fat instead. It can be challenging, but totally worth it once you get through the first few days.
Your primary source of fuel is fat(on this diet), then protein, then carbs from vegetables. And you only get plenty of nutrition if done right. A multivitamin makes it a little easier to do things right and prevent any issues with potassium depletion(hopefully you are eating potassium rich meat).

I'm for this way of eating I just see many people doing it wrong.

Last edited by Hiapo; 10-10-2017 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiapo View Post
Not what I said but ok.
Then where is the nutritional imbalance?

Old 10-10-2017, 10:52 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Your primary source of fuel is glucose. However, your body has two ways to make glucose. 1.) converting carbs into glucose or 2.) converting fat into glucose. Protein is used to create the enzymes needed to break the cells down into glucose.

Your body looks for the easiest source of fuel first. If you eat a lot of carbs it will take from those while the fat cells remain in place, unused, until there is a carb deficit. Any extra carbs are stored in fat cells. This is one of the main reasons people become overweight. Too many carbs without burning enough glucose that your body taps into the fat cells. It doesn't need to. When there is a carb deficit, it will begin breaking down fat cells to extract the glucose from them.

A ketogenic diet simply limits the primary fuel source so that your body is forced to revert to breaking down fat cells first. Plants with some carb content is acceptable because your body does need some of the nutrients provided in carb foods (like fiber). What it doesn't need is sugar.

On my first keto diet a few years back I lost over 30 lbs in about 2 months. I kept it off until such time as it became too difficult to prepare two meals each sitting. My wife wasn't on it.

This go around I have lost 18 lbs to date having been on it for about 4.5 weeks. My wife is also on it and has lost the same. We take multivitamins to eliminate the possibility of a vitamin deficit. We feel absolutely fantastic.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:44 AM

FYI, taking a multivitamin is a good idea in general. However, the need for one isn't exacerbated by doing a ketogenic diet.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Then where is the nutritional imbalance?
Overnutrition

Research suggest that a ketogenic diet can have a negative effect on serum lipid profile leading to the development of hypercholesterolemia and hypertriglyceridemia, because of the high fat intake. This research was conducted on kids with epilepsy due to the fact that this is what the diet was originally intended but there is a correlation there.

Reference

Zamani G, Mohammadi M, Azizi Malamiri R, et al. The effects of classic ketogenic diet on serum lipid profile in children with refractory seizures. Acta Neurologica Belgica [serial online]. December 2016;116(4):529-534. Available from: MEDLINE, Ipswich, MA. Accessed October 10, 2017.

I still think that this way of eating has merit, but I would like to see more research done.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:36 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
Quote:
Your primary source of fuel is fat(on this diet), then protein, then carbs from vegetables. And you only get plenty of nutrition if done right. A multivitamin makes it a little easier to do things right and prevent any issues with potassium depletion(hopefully you are eating potassium rich meat).

I'm for this way of eating I just see many people doing it wrong.
I agree - you have to work pretty hard at getting those low carb veggies in at the right amount and a vitamin would probably help and certainly wouldn't hurt. I take a multi vitamin (whether I'm eating kept or not) and magnesium and calcium too. I understand your point.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Overnutrition

Research suggest that a ketogenic diet can have a negative effect on serum lipid profile leading to the development of hypercholesterolemia and hypertriglyceridemia, because of the high fat intake. This research was conducted on kids with epilepsy due to the fact that this is what the diet was originally intended but there is a correlation there.

Reference

Zamani G, Mohammadi M, Azizi Malamiri R, et al. The effects of classic ketogenic diet on serum lipid profile in children with refractory seizures. Acta Neurologica Belgica [serial online]. December 2016;116(4):529-534. Available from: MEDLINE, Ipswich, MA. Accessed October 10, 2017.

I still think that this way of eating has merit, but I would like to see more research done.

Plenty of research already done. Keep reading.

Low-Carb, High-Fat Is What We Physicians Eat. You Should, Too

The Inuit Paradox, How can people who gorge on fat and rarely see a vegetable be healthier than we are?

By the way, this thread belongs in "Health and Fitness" where there is a lot of discussion related to this.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I agree - you have to work pretty hard at getting those low carb veggies in at the right amount and a vitamin would probably help and certainly wouldn't hurt. I take a multi vitamin (whether I'm eating kept or not) and magnesium and calcium too. I understand your point.
I take a multivitamin but not because of doing keto. Are people getting the bulk of their nutrition from bread, potatoes, rice, or sugar?

Old 10-10-2017, 03:03 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,123,748 times
Quote:
Overnutrition

Reference

Well.. it can also have the effect it had on me. I was taken off all cholesterol meds because my lipid profile improved dramatically. I recently had a complete VAP test with my physical and it's the same as the last time. Great. And my results show that I have less that 2% chance of experiencing a heart attack or heart trouble in the next 10 yrs.

My LDL went down, HDL rocketed and the pattern type improved to fat and fluffy.
But.. like someone else said...I've seen WAY too many people tell me they were eating low carb or keto and I watched them for a short period of time and they can say that all they want but they weren't. Reaching for cake... eating pasta, etc. And then there are those that don't really bother to do proper research and think they can eat 2 lbs of bacon a day and a brick of cheddar. Then complain that they're not losing weight and they don't feel good. It's no wonder.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Plenty of research already done. Keep reading.

Low-Carb, High-Fat Is What We Physicians Eat. You Should, Too

The Inuit Paradox, How can people who gorge on fat and rarely see a vegetable be healthier than we are?

By the way, this thread belongs in "Health and Fitness" where there is a lot of discussion related to this.
Keep reading what? I referenced a peer reviewed journal article (one of many I found). I wouldn't consider the Huff (I'm not sure of the Discover but it does not seem to be peer reviewed) to be a reliable resource or based on a larger body of scientific evidence. I see a lot of Doctors signed on the that opinion piece, do you know how much nutrition education a normal Dr. receives (I do not know what these Dr.s in the article do for work)? The Dr.s I have talked to say less than a day. So I do not blindly follow their nutrition advice. (Some Dr.s are still saying to cut out eggs to lower cholesterol). I would utilize a registered dietitian for my nutrition questions

Now the Discover did have some names (Cordain) who I tend to agree with. But that was not a research piece as you implied.

Again, I am not against and I tend to lean toward a ketogenic type diet, but following it blindly without doing your own evidenced based research(what foods to eat and what to stay away from) could cause health issues.

With all that being said Im sure I can find research that states the health benefits of a ketogenic diet, just know that there is research to the contrary, the evidence suggest that an elevated serum lipid profile is very possible with this type of eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss