Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:20 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The failure rate of the " eat less,exercise more " model is high because people stop exercising and start eating more again.
There isn't a reputable doctor alive who won't tell you this is the only way to successfully lose weight and keep it off.
It's a lifestyle choice not a diet - everything else,like fasting,is a fad.
Any regime that makes you hungry is doomed to failure.
Well, no, I don't believe non-compliance is the reason the old model always fails, though it is very true that most doctors continue to recommend it. But you are free to call IF a fad if you wish, and cling to the failing conventional advice. See:

Quote:
US News & World Report: Why Eating Fewer Calories Won't Help You Lose Weight
https://health.usnews.com/health-new...ou-lose-weight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 09:30 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,773 times
If this works for you and is the right plan, then it is the one you should do. I have friends that do IF and it works for them. I certainly could never do it. I work during the week and cannot imagine an entire weekend of no eating. I would be hungry and obsessing about food and my next meal, watching food commercials, going on the internet to look at cakes and cookies and staring at family members or people's plates. Life is too short to mess up my weekends with days of misery like that.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:51 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Kara - I will just give you the experiences of me and my husband. I have never done such a long fast, only 24 hours, but I lost tons of weight and KEPT IT OFF by fasting one day per week. Basically I would get up and have a good breakfast, then nothing else until breakfast the next day. Just water or tea the rest of the time. My husband can drop even quicker when he does this. This also works if you just drink fresh vegetable juice. I really don't recommend longer fasts than that, and I don't think you need a longer fast than that.

These days, I don't really fast anymore, I am at my goal weight and just watch my diet and I exercise. I have blood sugar issues and I need to eat regularly. Hope this helps!

Old 11-14-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Kara - I will just give you the experiences of me and my husband. I have never done such a long fast, only 24 hours, but I lost tons of weight and KEPT IT OFF by fasting one day per week. Basically I would get up and have a good breakfast, then nothing else until breakfast the next day. Just water or tea the rest of the time. My husband can drop even quicker when he does this. This also works if you just drink fresh vegetable juice. I really don't recommend longer fasts than that, and I don't think you need a longer fast than that.

These days, I don't really fast anymore, I am at my goal weight and just watch my diet and I exercise. I have blood sugar issues and I need to eat regularly. Hope this helps!
Thanks for your response! I teach little kids (violin and piano) and they keep dumping their germs on me, so I'm only now recovering from the congestion and did not do the extended fast. I'd still like to try it.

For the past several months, I've been doing what you did to lose weight, the 22:2 OMAD. Presumably the Autophagy kicks in after 12 or so hours of the fast, though the information about that is conflicting. To be honest, I haven't lost any weight as yet. I want to audition for a touring baroque orchestra and look really elegant and be able to travel and walk distances. One of their venues is in Dubai, a place I've always wanted to visit. I'm 6'3" and 165 would be better than my current 185. Since I bought a scale a few weeks ago and discovered I haven't lost weight, I'm removing a few items from my single meal in the morning, mostly carbs (pasta) and vegan cheese.

Musicians in these types of venues are expected to not only perform at a very high level but to look beautiful, too.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 11-14-2018 at 07:52 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 08:05 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Right; I've been doing that for the last several months. Read everything carefully and watched scores of videos.

What I'm inquiring about--and I'm sorry if this was unclear--is others' experiences. Personal, individual experience is more pertinent than online essays, IMO. �� ��
I drank only water when in the hospital after last surgery.
I fasted starting from 5:00 pm sunday night until a surgery tuesday morning and continued that fast (the nurses weren't happy about it) until I got home on sunday at noon.....so , nothing but water for 7 days.

Apart from the after surgery pain....I felt very weak...very tired....though I lost a good 5-6 lbs in the process.

Now...I still fast intermittently usually about 18 hours ,at least every other day.
It seems (for me) the only way I can keep the weight from creeping on.
Maybe I have a slow metabolism...I don't know, but I don't feel the fasting is hurting me any as the Docs are always happy with my weight and health.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I drank only water when in the hospital after last surgery.
I fasted starting from 5:00 pm sunday night until a surgery tuesday morning and continued that fast (the nurses weren't happy about it) until I got home on sunday at noon.....so , nothing but water for 7 days.

Apart from the after surgery pain....I felt very weak...very tired....though I lost a good 5-6 lbs in the process.

Now...I still fast intermittently usually about 18 hours ,at least every other day.
It seems (for me) the only way I can keep the weight from creeping on.
Maybe I have a slow metabolism...I don't know, but I don't feel the fasting is hurting me any as the Docs are always happy with my weight and health.
Yeah; people keep referring to IF as a "fad," but I don't think so. There is too much hard science associated with IF and Autophagy, and it's working for too many people. If I understand correctly, Dr. Jason Fung got into it because of his work with diabetics. It apparently leads to getting them off insulin where the "eat less/exercise more" model fails.

The so-called obesity epidemic is characterized by some as the biggest health issue in the US and elsewhere. Cutting sugar, animal products and carbs, and fasting are tools that may resolve the issue. So it seems to me. It's not a fad.

Quote:
fad
noun
an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities**; a craze.
"prairie restoration is the latest gardening fad in the Midwest"
synonyms: craze, vogue, trend, fashion, mode, enthusiasm, passion, obsession, mania, rage, compulsion, fixation, fetish, fancy, whim, fascination; informal thing
"when I was a kid, no fad was more apparent than the coonskin cap"

** Italics mine.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 11-14-2018 at 09:36 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 10:26 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
I watched a great documentary on fasting health centers around the world. It wasn't just for weight loss, but for health improvement.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:35 AM

At the risk of engendering more ad hominem attacks, there is also the issue, for some folks, of personal sensibilities, like being freaked out by "foods" such as lamb or veal. I don't want to be around these little dead animals. I don't want to walk into a backyard barbeque and see some murdered baby, like a small pig, rotating on a spit. Or chickens, or any form of beef.

It absolutely terrifies me and makes me sick. I don't want to see it, or smell it. It's murder of an innocent being. And then eating it. It's gross.

Most people think this is nuts. And they're absolutely fine with it. I get that. And my sensibilities are my own, and not an implied criticism of anyone else's.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I watched a great documentary on fasting health centers around the world. It wasn't just for weight loss, but for health improvement.
I think I saw a similar film, in Russia, right? Allowing the body to rest from the work of digestion is therapeutic. That research on Autophagy won the Nobel only two years ago.
Quote:
2016-10-03
The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet has today decided to award the 2016 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine to Yoshinori Ohsumi for his discoveries of mechanisms for autophagy

Summary
This year’s Nobel Laureate discovered and elucidated mechanisms underlying autophagy, a fundamental process for degrading and recycling cellular components.<snip>

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/me...press-release/

Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,610,249 times
Poss effects are; overeating when resuming, lowering BMR setpoint & changing the body's reaction to insulin sensitivity. This issue was addressed w/ my cardiologist & his idea is no-go.

It turns the body catabolic -- eating up muscle tissue & in men it makes a chest or belly hang lower. In ladies it makes the breasts drop to the floor & the butt sag as well, as muscle tissue supports these structures & muscle is eaten up 1st in prolonged fasting.

Just FYI from a few docs & others in the med field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss