Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:03 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Poss effects are; overeating when resuming, lowering BMR setpoint & changing the body's reaction to insulin sensitivity. This issue was addressed w/ my cardiologist & his idea is no-go.

It turns the body catabolic -- eating up muscle tissue & in men it makes a chest or belly hang lower. In ladies it makes the breasts drop to the floor & the butt sag as well, as muscle tissue supports these structures & muscle is eaten up 1st in prolonged fasting.

Just FYI from a few docs & others in the med field.
I would need to see links supporting your assertions. To the contrary, fasting weight loss (a) does not destroy muscle tissue; and (2) does not require surgery to take up the loose skin. See any videos by searching under Dr. Jason Fung.

What you are correct about is that breaking a fast, particularly an extended one, has to be done slowly and carefully. Not the 22 hour fast of OMAD but longer fasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 12:05 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
The only fasting I do is when I sleep basically. I stop eating at maybe 9 (sometimes 10) and then resume at 10 am / 11. I've no use for allowing myself to go without food for big stretches and doing so would directly impair my physical activity.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:29 AM

3,689 posts, read 2,410,480 times
I do a water fast of 65 hours (2 1/2+ days) every 3 months.

It's great. I feel great.

I now work full time through them

Autophagy.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Right; I've been doing that for the last several months. Read everything carefully and watched scores of videos.

What I'm inquiring about--and I'm sorry if this was unclear--is others' experiences. Personal, individual experience is more pertinent than online essays, IMO. �� ��
Do it.

Start off with shorter fasts and if you feel it's worthwhile for YOU, do more in the future.

Everyone is different.

Try it.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Do it.

Start off with shorter fasts and if you feel it's worthwhile for YOU, do more in the future.

Everyone is different.

Try it.
Right now I'm doing 22:2 OMAD. I'm losing .33 lbs. a day accordingly to the scale I purchased about 10 days ago. So I'm fasting 22 hours a day which means, at the outside, around 6-10 hours of autophagy a day. It's a rest for my body not to have to work at digestion constantly.

I feel well, lots of changes going on. Planned a bit longer fast but had the flu and congestion, twice, recently, so wasn't up for it after all. Whether these minor illnesses were a function of being exposed to germs from the kids I teach or my body throwing off toxins, or both, I could not tell you.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:02 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Right now I'm doing 22:2 OMAD. I'm losing .33 lbs. a day accordingly to the scale I purchased about 10 days ago. So I'm fasting 22 hours a day which means, at the outside, around 6-10 hours of autophagy a day. It's a rest for my body not to have to work at digestion constantly.
Again, not it doesn't. As a result of starvation from not eating it takes even mice 24-48 hours to have increased autophagy. Where did you get the idea that it starts increasing in humans after only 12-18 hours of not eating? That's kind of counter-intuitive given how fast a mouse's metabolism runs in comparison with a human's.

If you've been at around a 1,200 calorie deficit for some time though, you might have increased autophagy at all times because of that.

Quote:
I feel well, lots of changes going on. Planned a bit longer fast but had the flu and congestion, twice, recently, so wasn't up for it after all. Whether these minor illnesses were a function of being exposed to germs from the kids I teach or my body throwing off toxins, or both, I could not tell you.
Or weakened immune system. It's one of those things that may happen on a chronic caloric deficit. If you've been running that much of a deficit for some time you also do need to start worrying about malnutrition. If you're normally a 2,000 calorie/day eater and only eating 800 it's all but impossible to get adequate nutrition with that few calories. It takes some time but eventually deficiencies begin to occur.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:

I feel well, lots of changes going on.....
Sounds good

Keep us posted.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:26 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Again, not it doesn't. As a result of starvation from not eating it takes even mice 24-48 hours to have increased autophagy. Where did you get the idea that it starts increasing in humans after only 12-18 hours of not eating? That's kind of counter-intuitive given how fast a mouse's metabolism runs in comparison with a human's.

If you've been at around a 1,200 calorie deficit for some time though, you might have increased autophagy at all times because of that.

Or weakened immune system. It's one of those things that may happen on a chronic caloric deficit. If you've been running that much of a deficit for some time you also do need to start worrying about malnutrition. If you're normally a 2,000 calorie/day eater and only eating 800 it's all but impossible to get adequate nutrition with that few calories. It takes some time but eventually deficiencies begin to occur.
I agree with this. I really don't believe OP is eating enough. We need to take in enough nutrients to keep up our energy and our immune systems strong.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree with this. I really don't believe OP is eating enough. We need to take in enough nutrients to keep up our energy and our immune systems strong.
I'm surprised you think you can determine how many calories I'm taking in during my two hour eating window, since I didn't share that information anywhere.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised you think you can determine how many calories I'm taking in during my two hour eating window, since I didn't share that information anywhere.
This person does not understand the concept of the eating window (no offense to that poster).

One can eat 4,000 calories or 2,000 calories in their window. Or, any amount of calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss