Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 08:52 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times

Advertisements

I can't eat as much as I used to, but I can still eat junk!
But not today... it's Fasting Friday, as usual.

First big classic car cruise-in was supposed to be tomorrow, but it's going to be cold and rain all day so it's going to get cancelled.
One of my strategeries is to do the same thing at car shows that I do at work.
Spend much of the day there (the bigger ones are on weekends), but don't bring or buy any food.

Last edited by eaton53; 04-26-2019 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 09:24 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Eating a good-sized pickle of my favorite type will cut my unwanted cravings to nothing.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:23 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
One of the benefits of using fat burners is that they tend to suppress appetite. This alone helps one lose weight.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:03 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Just a little note for other low-carbers. I found out about this ice cream yesterday. I've tried making my own a couple of times but got less than satisfactory results. I plan on picking up some of this soon. It would be classified as a treat. 6 net grams per PINT, so I think I will be eating more of this assuming I like it, as a treat of course, not every day.

https://rebelcreamery.com/
Not sold in CO! I'm sure one day it will. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Not sold in CO! I'm sure one day it will. Thanks.
I've got the form and we'll be turning it in at Hy-Vee.
My wife talks to the gal that runs the Organic section all the time.

If I can't get it in the store, I might order a variety case.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:21 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Of course it helps you lose weight. Losing weight is just a matter of burning more calories than you take in. Exercise helps you burn more calories, and builds muscle which is more efficient for your body.

Not everyone wants to have a diet exclusively of protein and fat.
Good Grain free and sugar free is not just protein and fat. It’s lower less starchy veggies, many of them, and lower sugar fruit, many of them too.

Research Wheat Belly by William Davis MD

Old 04-27-2019, 10:27 AM

gguerra I’ve tried the whole variety pack of Rebel ice cream, low carb. Didn’t like it.

Make your own low carb ice cream with an ice cream maker. Use any recipe but I use Xylitol (not safe for dogs) sweetener instead of sugar.

Or make your own low carb ice cream with frozen berries, sweetener and whole cream in a cup, blend with immersion stick blender. Blueberry or raspberry with almond extract is my favorite.

Just a note for non low carbers, fat doesn’t make you fat. Sugar does.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:52 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
gguerra I’ve tried the whole variety pack of Rebel ice cream, low carb. Didn’t like it.

Make your own low carb ice cream with an ice cream maker. Use any recipe but I use Xylitol (not safe for dogs) sweetener instead of sugar.

Or make your own low carb ice cream with frozen berries, sweetener and whole cream in a cup, blend with immersion stick blender. Blueberry or raspberry with almond extract is my favorite.

Just a note for non low carbers, fat doesn’t make you fat. Sugar does.
Another way of making good ice cream is to peel and then freeze bananas. Once frozen, use a food processor and add some or any of the following:

Stevia to taste
Vanilla
Any chocolate or fruit (canned or fresh pineapple)
Any nuts or candies (peppermint)
Any cookies
Raisins
Rum flavoring
Almond flavoring
Mint leaves
Coffee
Peanut or almond butter

Don't overdo it, but you can replicate any ice cream ("nice cream") you like. No dairy or sugar required.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Explain, please...
I designed ice cream machines years ago and didn't like any of the "diet" soft serve we tested.
They were fine texturally, but didn't taste right.

Some of the other low cal ice creams achieve it with high "overrun", which means it's got high air content.
McDonalds has very high overrun. It's not diet, but you get a big cone for cheap because air is free.
Dairy Queen is much lower overrun... there's a lot more ice cream in their ice cream. I'm a big fan of DQ.

The Rebel stuff got my attention because high fat content is a key ingredient in really good ice cream.
FYI... I was one of very the first people ever to have a Blizzard in the mid '80s. It was obvious that it was gonna be big.
I even had a Blizzard blender in my house, built out of spare parts. That was a very bad idea.

Last edited by eaton53; 04-27-2019 at 01:21 PM..

Old 04-27-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Explain, please...
It had an odd aftertaste. It was cold but didn’t taste like ice cream.
Chocolate was bitter
Vanilla was bland
Strawberry tasted like strawberries but still had an aftertaste.
Mint chip was the ok because the aftertaste was cooling, but bitter
Butter pecan was the best but again bitter.
I could go on. But they just weren’t sweet enough for me . I’d rather just make my own. Much better.

I worked at Dairy Queen, that was a fun bad mistake. We made all kinds of personal treats. Worked at another ice cream maker here named Bridgemans.

I make my own ice cream custard with a standard recipe on the stove then use an ice cream maker. I use Xylitol and a bit of pink packet sweetener. I like to mix sweeteners but the bulk is Xylitol (toxic to dogs). If I can sub some of the cream for a couple shots of a sf coffee syrup I do that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss