Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 01:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post

Just a note for non low carbers, fat doesn’t make you fat. Sugar does.
No, it's overall calories consumed that cause weight gain, regardless of whether those calories come from fat, carbs, sugar or whatever. If you consume more calories than you burn off, you gain weight.

People can and do lose weight while still consuming carbohydrates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 01:41 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
Quote:
It had an odd aftertaste.
That is usually the issue.

Quote:
I worked at Dairy Queen, that was a fun bad mistake. We made all kinds of personal treats. Worked at another ice cream maker here named Bridgemans.
If you worked at DQ, you are probably familiar with the "Blizzard Stripe".
It's what happens when you pull the cup out before the blender stops.
You get this nice ice cream stripe flung in a line right across your front.

It makes a hell of a mess when it happens in your kitchen.

I designed just about every machine that is used in DQs.
They haven't changed much in the last 30 years.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No, it's overall calories consumed that cause weight gain, regardless of whether those calories come from fat, carbs, sugar or whatever. If you consume more calories than you burn off, you gain weight.

People can and do lose weight while still consuming carbohydrates.
Well not really. Research “Good calories Bad calories” by Gary Taubes for some enlightening information on calories.

When eating low carb high fat with plenty of Veggies and fruits, skipping the grains and sugars, calories are not the problem. One tends to get fuller sooner from the satiation with this way of eating. Tending to eat within calorie limits. It’s the grains and sugars that trigger hunger and overconsumption.

You can lose weight eating anything if you limit the calories, true. But it’s not sustainable. Low carb is sustainable for life.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:13 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
That is usually the issue.

If you worked at DQ, you are probably familiar with the "Blizzard Stripe".
It's what happens when you pull the cup out before the blender stops.
You get this nice ice cream stripe flung in a line right across your front.

It makes a hell of a mess when it happens in your kitchen.

I designed just about every machine that is used in DQs.
They haven't changed much in the last 30 years.
Luckily it never happened to me. If Dairy Queen just used a Xylitol and inulin sweetener it would be great. Can you get a DQ ice cream machine and make it? That would be great!

I do like LUVs Keto ice cream, much better than Rebel.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/B...9-804A70BEEE41

Sorry OP for Keto ice cream takeover.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Of course it helps you lose weight. Losing weight is just a matter of burning more calories than you take in. Exercise helps you burn more calories, and builds muscle which is more efficient for your body.

Not everyone wants to have a diet exclusively of protein and fat.
I think maybe some people are helped by strenuous exercise, others aren't. In my experience, strenuous exercise grinds my metabolism to a quick halt. I think not everyone is like that, because there would be no one at all at the gym after a few months.

Rush Limbaugh (agree or disagree politically, he does have experience shape-shifting) says for him, exercise plays zero role in his weight loss. It's 100% reduction in food intake.

Mild exercise doesn't have that affect on me - like, if you go on a camping trip and also canoe as part of the trip. Easy, natural movement.

It's the strenuous exercise at the gym to the point of an adrenaline/cortisol reaction that packs on the pounds (not muscles) for me. And a lot of other people.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:51 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
Quote:
Luckily it never happened to me. If Dairy Queen just used a Xylitol and inulin sweetener it would be great. Can you get a DQ ice cream machine and make it? That would be great!
I haven't worked there for 30 years.
Here's a good deal on one: https://www.ebay.com/i/254037357751?chn=ps
All the Dilly Bars you'd ever want and then some!

Old 04-27-2019, 07:48 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Well not really. Research “Good calories Bad calories” by Gary Taubes for some enlightening information on calories.

When eating low carb high fat with plenty of Veggies and fruits, skipping the grains and sugars, calories are not the problem. One tends to get fuller sooner from the satiation with this way of eating. Tending to eat within calorie limits. It’s the grains and sugars that trigger hunger and overconsumption.

You can lose weight eating anything if you limit the calories, true. But it’s not sustainable. Low carb is sustainable for life.
Gary Taubes is by no means an expert. He is a man with an opinion that is good at selling books.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:56 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
gguerra I’ve tried the whole variety pack of Rebel ice cream, low carb. Didn’t like it.

Make your own low carb ice cream with an ice cream maker. Use any recipe but I use Xylitol (not safe for dogs) sweetener instead of sugar.

Or make your own low carb ice cream with frozen berries, sweetener and whole cream in a cup, blend with immersion stick blender. Blueberry or raspberry with almond extract is my favorite.

Just a note for non low carbers, fat doesn’t make you fat. Sugar does.
I just tried it a few days ago. It is not like "regular" ice cream, never really thought it would be. It contains no milk, just cream. Cream contains almost no carbs when compared to milk. The sweetener is different as well, they use erythritol and monk fruit. It is similar to the results I got when I attemped to make low carb ice cream but better texture and flavor. I never had an ice cream machine, I just kind of winged it with the freezer and manually stirring. Taste is obviously subjective, I did like it but I wouldn't compare it to Haagen-Dazs or Ben and Jerrys. It does provide me a nice treat with something I rarely if ever get to eat. I got the chocolate by the way and it costs like $4 or $5 for a pint. I would buy again.

Here is a list of the ingredients and nutrition
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/29...43884597765945

Last edited by gguerra; 04-30-2019 at 11:21 AM..

Old 04-30-2019, 11:08 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:

Low carb may be sustainable for you maybe, but not for all and definitely not for me. I for one am fine eating less calories. You don't need lots of calories. I get full off 1500-1600 and that's really good enough for a middle aged woman. As you age, you need to pare down the calories anyway. And whether you realize it or not YOU ARE EATING FEWER CALORIES or you wouldn't lose. Period. High fat's claim to fame is that fat (being denser) fills you up faster, but if you overdo it you will get fat whether it's high fat, high carb, whatever. Simple carbs may trigger overconsumption, but I can tell you that eating a potato doesn't make me what to go on an eating binge. Eating a half cup of beans doesn't either. I eat a cup of pasta and am able to feel satisfied. Besides, you pair your carbs with a protein and fat for maximum satiety. That's called balanced nutrition. Also, I'd rather eat sugar than consume sugar alcohols like xylitol/mannitol/sorbitol etc....unless I need to visit the bathroom more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think maybe some people are helped by strenuous exercise, others aren't. In my experience, strenuous exercise grinds my metabolism to a quick halt. I think not everyone is like that, because there would be no one at all at the gym after a few months.

Rush Limbaugh (agree or disagree politically, he does have experience shape-shifting) says for him, exercise plays zero role in his weight loss. It's 100% reduction in food intake.

Mild exercise doesn't have that affect on me - like, if you go on a camping trip and also canoe as part of the trip. Easy, natural movement.

It's the strenuous exercise at the gym to the point of an adrenaline/cortisol reaction that packs on the pounds (not muscles) for me. And a lot of other people.
Interesting. Strenuous exercise definitely helped me. Revved up metabolism, made me leaner, strength training made me more muscular. Definitely didn't "pack on pounds". I am over 40, too.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:28 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,740 times
I've never eaten low carb high fat in my life except when I was trying to gain weight. I've never been remotely overweight or even close to it in my 46 years. I've been a low normal weight for five years eating higher carb lower fat naturally as I am a pescetarian and former vegan. My macros average 65/15/20 (carbs/protein/fat) when I take the time to calculate. I was severely underweight some time ago and had to put on a ton of weight to get healthier, and I did it by increasing fat intake way more than carb. I always gain when I increase fat as it is so calorie dense and easy to overdo. But I function best with higher carb lower fat. I feel heavier and more sluggish after consuming a lot of fat.

I am a consistent exerciser but last November to March I had an injury and had to cut way back on the intensity and amount of exercise to heal. Even so, it barely affected my weight. I think I gained two lbs at the most, and it came off quickly when I revved back up with exercise. I still ate the same as I did before, did not restrict as I needed the nutrition to heal. I'm not a big eater and stay away from junk food so it was not a huge deal. Like riaelise, I tend to feel full and maintain on around 1600 calories average at my age of 46 and with my activity level. Some days I eat way more and some days less but it averages out. I'm also in surgical menopause and have hypothyroidism, so my metabolism is never going to be speedy fast. Exercise has certainly helped it and I am more energized and my body is more toned. My lipid profile is excellent, blood pressure low, no deficiencies, no issues here eating carbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss