Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:30 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times

Advertisements

I did the vegetarian plan and the food is pretty bad but it does work. It's not really a diet, it's teaching you to eat several small meals a day which is the correct way to eat. If you want to try one of those plans, I would suggest Jenny Craig. I did it years ago and the food was good, easy to follow and I kept the weight off for years (it was only twenty pounds). What I like about it is you do get in the habit of eating small amounts every couple hours and you don't have to cook, so it's easy to do. The only thing is Jenny Craig is quite a bit more expensive than Nutri System.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 04:07 PM

317 posts, read 1,229,436 times
Default Nutrisystems...

I went on it...and kept eating all the desserts ...and/or I needed more than 1 yucky dinner entree to begin to satisfy my hunger. Don't waste your money.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:41 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,456 times
Nea - I have not tried Nutri-system - too expensive for me.

When my youngest was born in 1989, I weighed 230 lbs. On my 5'4" frame, it was not a pretty sight. I finally looked in the mirror one day and broke down.
I had a friend who had a lot of success with Richard Simmons, so I started there. I started with his 'Deal a Meal', and before long put the cards down because I had the hang of it.

It took 4 years, but I lost 100 lbs. In 1994, when I separated from my first husband, I began to gain some weight, and quickly started watching my food intake and increased my exercise. But nothing was moving.

In 1999, I was working for an Internist, and during a routine exam, she found a thyroid nodule. She sent me for a few tests, and it turned out to be 'cold' (could turn cancerous) so I was put on thyroid meds and told to 'watch it'.

Problem, in 'watching it', I learned that the blood tests for thyroid activity has such a wide range that 'within normal limits' means nothing. I was sluggish, couldn't shed the weight (20 lbs extra), and found myself with concentration problems and overall pain.

I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia - and put on pain meds to control the aches. During the course of this, I realized the lump on my neck was growing - it was actually visable, when it had not been before.

I set myself up with the BEST Endocrinologist in the city, and after one appointment was scheduled to see an endo-surgeon. My Thyroid was removed in 2004.

Over the course of this mess, I did the research and discovered how to control the weight, the pain, and the memory issues.

NUTRITION! Funny - the doctors never mentioned it.

Since then, I have lost the extra weight, do not take the thyroid meds they said I would need the rest of my life, and the Fibro is mostly under control.

It is simple - and you do not have to spend alot money. And adding vitamin supplements (natural - not synthetic) will help SO MUCH!

1.WATER,WATER,WATER

2.Vegetables everyday

3.Do not eat protein with Carbs

4.Do not eat carbs with protein

5.Exercise how ever you like for 15 minutes a day

6.Get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night

I know this sounds too good to be true, but the 'weight loss' companies make a fortune everyday on those of us who are convinced we cannot do it on our own. And, unless you have a doctor who is willing to discuss nutrition and healthy lifestyles - they will more than likely just tell you to watch what you eat and exercise - or worse - offer you some type of appetite control med.

To clarify the need for supplements - consider the food supply we have. The fat free items only replace the type of chemicals you are putting in your body, and offer no nutritional value. Everything we touch is enriched, processed or something is added.

We have been convinced fat is bad - but fat in our diet is essential. Our bodies need fat like a car needs oil. It is necessary for every bodily function, and without it, everything is off kilter. You do need to watch the type of fat you consume - but you need it.

Get off the diet cokes!!! They contain Aspartame, an ingrediant found in red ant poisen, and with enough of it in your system, you may exhibit symptoms of MS. No kidding.

Eat organic whenever you can. Paul Newman's daughter has a line of organic foods out and they are wonderful. Why organic? Because the pesticides, chemicals, hormones, etc. used in growing fruits and veggies and in raising animals for food cannot be washed off, cooked out, or otherwise removed.

It can be expensive to go ALL organic - but choose the items you consume themost of and change those over.

Here in Kentucky there is a brand of Beef called 'Laura's Lean'. It is sold at Kroger (and probably other places - not sure) and the meat is completely hormone free and the feed grain is pesticide and chemical free.

If you ever have the chance to try an organic vs. 'regular' banana - you will be amazed.

I could go on and on - but for the sake of everyone's time - let me suffice it to say - you can do this on your own - and if yoiu focus on Nutrition rather than eight loss - the weight will come off anyway when you are putting the good stuff into your body.

If anyone wants more info - let me know. I do nutritional consulting on the side from time to time and will happily share all the info I have!

Kimmiey

Old 01-09-2007, 09:06 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Has anyone tried Nutri-system to lose weight? I am pre-menopausal and have thyroid issues at 36 and have gained weight. Regular diet and exercise keep me from gaining more, but cannot lose. I hear Nutri-system can help. Anyone try or still using it?
Oh Nea1, welcome to my world.
I'm with you on both counts, peri + hypothyroid. I was a size 3/4 right into my mid-30's, then I went to a 5/6, no complaints. Then BLAMMO - right to a size 10. When you're 5'3" and small boned - that's major.

Finally got the thyroid meds - it's impossible to function without them, let alone lose that weight. So that is a vital first step.

I lost the weight that those two bodily changes blasted me with by doing my own variation of the Atkins diet, which actually turned out to be closer to the South Beach diet which was published later. Minimal carbs, lean and healthy protein, lots of fresh vegetables, salads and some fruits. A fresh apple with peanut butter is my stand-by snack. Make sure to eat protein at breakfast, such as a turkey sandwich on pita, or a couple of scrambled eggs. Drink lots and lots of water.

I know it's somewhat controversial, but I incorporated some of the "Fat Flush" ideas into my daily routine too, mostly the cranberry water and *flax seed. They helped immensely. *Flax seed's Omega-3 fatty acids are tremendously helpful during peri-menopause. Also read Dr. Christiane Northrup's books for peri-menopause information, nothing is more helpful that her information.

You mentioned that you exercise, which is great. I'm pretty active - when I'm not sitting at the computer - and I love to walk, that's my favorite exercise. I need to do it or the weight just sits there. Doing all of those things got me back into my size 6's! I'm back into this routine right now, because I had a little too much fun during the holidays!

My SIL lost 25 pounds doing Nutri-System, and urged me to try it, but I like fresh foods. I do not eat much in the way of packaged foods anyway. I do not want the expense or having to rely on something I must buy from a particular company.

Kimmiey listed great information, as did everyone. You can do this without buying into anyone's particular program (just MHO). Best of luck to you!

Old 01-09-2007, 09:12 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Oh Nea1, welcome to my world.
I'm with you on both counts, peri + hypothyroid. I was a size 3/4 right into my mid-30's, then I went to a 5/6, no complaints. Then BLAMMO - right to a size 10. When you're 5'3" and small boned - that's major.

Finally got the thyroid meds - it's impossible to function without them, let alone lose that weight. So that is a vital first step.

I lost the weight that those two bodily changes blasted me with by doing my own variation of the Atkins diet, which actually turned out to be closer to the South Beach diet which was published later. Minimal carbs, lean and healthy protein, lots of fresh vegetables, salads and some fruits. A fresh apple with peanut butter is my stand-by snack. Make sure to eat protein at breakfast, such as a turkey sandwich on pita, or a couple of scrambled eggs. Drink lots and lots of water.

I know it's somewhat controversial, but I incorporated some of the "Fat Flush" ideas into my daily routine too, mostly the cranberry water and *flax seed. They helped immensely. *Flax seed's Omega-3 fatty acids are tremendously helpful during peri-menopause. Also read Dr. Christiane Northrup's books for peri-menopause information, nothing is more helpful that her information.

You mentioned that you exercise, which is great. I'm pretty active - when I'm not sitting at the computer - and I love to walk, that's my favorite exercise. I need to do it or the weight just sits there. Doing all of those things got me back into my size 6's! I'm back into this routine right now, because I had a little too much fun during the holidays!

My SIL lost 25 pounds doing Nutri-System, and urged me to try it, but I like fresh foods. I do not eat much in the way of packaged foods anyway. I do not want the expense or having to rely on something I must buy from a particular company.

Kimmiey listed great information, as did everyone. You can do this without buying into anyone's particular program (just MHO). Best of luck to you!

Since I posted, I have tried it and have lost 6 pounds. I am doing a variation of it. I eat two nutri meals then have my own dinner following their guidelines. I get to eat lots of veggies and protein. I do already walk 5 miles, and I have always drank alot of water!! I have always taken vitamins. I am also hypoglycemic, so I have eat to eat frequently.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:25 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Great post kimmiey!

Quote:
If you ever have the chance to try an organic vs. 'regular' banana - you will be amazed.
Isn't it sad that we have forgotten what food is supposed to taste like? Celery is the other big one for me. Organic celery has like 10 times the flavor.

The only thing in your post that doesn't work for me is this:

Quote:
3.Do not eat protein with Carbs

4.Do not eat carbs with protein
I'm vegetarian, so by default, my protein contains carbs.

I'm also wonder, how long you have to wait for the carbs (or the protein) to "clear" your system before you can eat the other? (I'm not trying to be critical, I know you have a medical background, so I'm just curious about the theory and practice on this one point).

I agree 100% with the rest of your plan. I've read countless times that so many problems are caused by dehydration and lack of sleep. My guess is that if everyone followed that advice we'd not only maintain healthy weight, but we'd all look ~10 years younger too!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,456 times
Plaid - I should have clarified - sorry...
It's more like, if you want the chicken, hamburger, whatever, don't eat the bread, potatoes, whatever.

With you, you're right - it's different. When I was doing this religiously, I developed a wonderful taste for broccoli with a little chicken breast and baked potatoes with broccoli or mushrooms. So good!

I usually end up eating a salad for supper everynight anyway. I just love them! I throw just about everything in I can think of - my dinner in a bowl!

Oh, you know what I saw the other day that I would have killed ofr to satisfy 'my fat girl' craving? That new KYFried Chicken Bowl favorites (or something like that). mashed potatoes, corn, cheese, gravy and chicken pieces on top! Looked so good but I could feel my hips expabding and my cholesteral ready to bubble! But boy I bet it's gooooood!

What kind of Vegetarian are you? Do you eat the diary?

Old 01-09-2007, 01:06 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
By dieting I mean I eat healthy and walk 5 miles a day. And drink lots of water.
I apologize for being a pain in the backside. I tried to remove this post and didn't realize it had registered until today.

I don't have any business offering advice.

In a general sense though I think the diet industry does a great deal of harm and misleads folk.

I do wish you the best!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:59 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I apologize for being a pain in the backside. I tried to remove this post and didn't realize it had registered until today.

I don't have any business offering advice.

In a general sense though I think the diet industry does a great deal of harm and misleads folk.

I do wish you the best!

Oh no problem i didnt take it badly, I figured I just needed to clarify myself!!!!

Thanks

Old 01-09-2007, 03:06 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
I also have thyroid problems, my doctor had me got to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota, I had to drink radioactive iodine, it is to contrl my thyroid, and I have to go in every six months to have it checked. I have also went up in weight, I was 110 at 5'4 and now weigh 134 pounds.
I also have fibromyaliga, and the start of RA so I know what it is like for some of you others. Since quitting smoking, I am hoping that my health will get better, I know I eat mostly healthy foods, just so I don't put on even more weight, I hope not anyways!!!! That wouldn't be good.
Let me know of anything that works for you, I guess my husband goes on the Mayo Clinic diet, he seems to loose weight with no trouble, but I could never last with just what he has for lunch, not if I could substitute the veggie soup for some light meal, the soup is ok, but not two weeks worth of it!!!! Keep me posted!!! Thanks!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss