Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 05:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What kind of Vegetarian are you? Do you eat the diary?
I'm ovo-lac. I try to drink a glass of skim milk or eat a cup of yogurt once per day. I don't eat eggs (just don't like the taste) but I do use them in baking. I buy local, grain-fed free-range eggs. Yay for local farmers!

I have to admit I have a fondness for cheeeese. Especially Brie and really good Chevre. Darn, now I'm hungry again...

Man a goat-cheese, walnut, and dried-cranberry salad is sounding pretty tempting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
2.Vegetables everyday
3.Do not eat protein with Carbs
4.Do not eat carbs with protein
Kimmiey
Kimmieyky - have you ever read "Fit for Life?" It was published in the 1980's and was primarily about eating vegetarian and explained "food combining." I lost all of my post baby weight after I had my DD in 1985. Wonderful recipes in that book, some are still my favorite things to make 22 years later!

Old 02-21-2007, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,573 times
Default Nutri system

I have been on the Nutri System diet for one week now. I have lost 5 pounds in one week and have even eaten out making smart choices. Their food is not bad at all. It is portioned controlled so the first couple days of eating regular portion sizes was a little rough.

I am the pickiest eater I know - I even hate for my food to touch - and I have not had any problems with the meals I chose. You can pick your own foods from their website.

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:33 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times
A couple of the ladies at work have used it. The problem is, once they got off it and back onto "regular" food, they gained the weight back. Of course, it could have been a portion control thing, I don't know.

That goat cheese/walnut/cranberry salad sounds great. Throw a few sunflower seeds on it and I'm all over it!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:09 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,634 times
Weight Watchers works and is pretty easy to follow.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,343 times
This is the worst company I've ever dealt with. No, I don't have any interest at all in any competitor. I just had a totally unsatisfactory experience with them. First, UPS failed to deliver my order. When I called N-S up, they insisted that it had been delivered, because UPS said it had. Then they (lied) and told me a replacement would be shipped within 48 hours. No show. Each step of the way, I got shuffled from one person to another on the phone, with long waits in between. When I asked to talk to a supervisor, I'd eventually get someone who wasn't. I'd just get "counsellors" (I never knew that "counsellor" meant "sales person") who couldn't handle anything that wasn't scripted for them. They were the biggest pack of dullards, in my opinion, ever to work in one place.

They told me that they first had to verify that it was lost through UPS (fair enough). UPS never sent anyone to my house, but still waited 10 days to say they'd lost it. Every time I called N-S it was the same thing. They'd tell me that my package was delivered, even though I was at home at the time and date that UPS claimed to have delivered it, and was sitting in the kitchen only a couple of feet from the door where it supposedly was delivered. It would be impossible for a truck to have come to my house without knowing it, and I don't live where anyone would have seen it and taken it.

Finally, after tiring of not them not being able to tell me when I'd finally get the stuff (and FIVE WEEKS after it was supposed to have arrived), I told them to just forget it. They needed to deal with UPS and work out what went on (why didn't UPS send anyone to my house if they really thought it had been delivered?). I wanted a refund. I was promised one after UPS confirmed that the package was lost. UPS did that, but no refund from N-S, even though a "supervisor" promised this would be taken care of.

About 10 weeks after the original order was supposed to be delivered, and weeks after I said to cancel and refund, a box showed up at my door. It was their package.

I called, talked to the person who'd promised that they'd cancel the order, and was told that "somebody" had overridden her notice to cancel with a refund, and shipped the package to me. I was also, mysteriously, placed on an automatic monthly ship & charge to credit card status!

I told the person to have the package picked up (they did, the next day), and to refund to my credit card as had been promised weeks before. So far, that hasn't been done!

I've spent literally hours on the phone trying to deal with these people. It's been the worst consumer experience in my life. I've never seen such bungling and repeated incompetence. Naturally, there's no way to get to anyone high enough in the company to actually resolve a problem.

I'm now preparing to take them to court if my next credit card statement doesn't show a complete refund.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:37 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,728 times
if you have thyroid issues, will you be getting medicated for them? or are they not serious enough to be treated?

i know a few people that have used nutrisystem. they said that the food was decent, but it is effective because:
1) it is a sensible, balanced diet
2) prevents you from eating junk food since you are not going to the grocery store to buy food
3) makes eating healthy simple; you don't have to know anything about how to construct a diet, it's all done for you.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,327 times
Default has anyone tried nutri-system

Yes, I have and the food is ok. I mentally look at it as " magic food" as I lost
so much weight and still losing. It's a state of mind. I just can't watch foodtv anymore. I hope this helps.
Good Luck
Patty

Old 06-29-2007, 08:39 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,728 times
Quote:

what's the logic behind this?

Old 07-01-2007, 12:57 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,312 times
Quote:
Nea - I have not tried Nutri-system - too expensive for me.

When my youngest was born in 1989, I weighed 230 lbs. On my 5'4" frame, it was not a pretty sight. I finally looked in the mirror one day and broke down.
I had a friend who had a lot of success with Richard Simmons, so I started there. I started with his 'Deal a Meal', and before long put the cards down because I had the hang of it.

It took 4 years, but I lost 100 lbs. In 1994, when I separated from my first husband, I began to gain some weight, and quickly started watching my food intake and increased my exercise. But nothing was moving.

In 1999, I was working for an Internist, and during a routine exam, she found a thyroid nodule. She sent me for a few tests, and it turned out to be 'cold' (could turn cancerous) so I was put on thyroid meds and told to 'watch it'.

Problem, in 'watching it', I learned that the blood tests for thyroid activity has such a wide range that 'within normal limits' means nothing. I was sluggish, couldn't shed the weight (20 lbs extra), and found myself with concentration problems and overall pain.

I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia - and put on pain meds to control the aches. During the course of this, I realized the lump on my neck was growing - it was actually visable, when it had not been before.

I set myself up with the BEST Endocrinologist in the city, and after one appointment was scheduled to see an endo-surgeon. My Thyroid was removed in 2004.

Over the course of this mess, I did the research and discovered how to control the weight, the pain, and the memory issues.

NUTRITION! Funny - the doctors never mentioned it.

Since then, I have lost the extra weight, do not take the thyroid meds they said I would need the rest of my life, and the Fibro is mostly under control.

It is simple - and you do not have to spend alot money. And adding vitamin supplements (natural - not synthetic) will help SO MUCH!

1.WATER,WATER,WATER

2.Vegetables everyday

5.Exercise how ever you like for 15 minutes a day

6.Get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night

I know this sounds too good to be true, but the 'weight loss' companies make a fortune everyday on those of us who are convinced we cannot do it on our own. And, unless you have a doctor who is willing to discuss nutrition and healthy lifestyles - they will more than likely just tell you to watch what you eat and exercise - or worse - offer you some type of appetite control med.

To clarify the need for supplements - consider the food supply we have. The fat free items only replace the type of chemicals you are putting in your body, and offer no nutritional value. Everything we touch is enriched, processed or something is added.

We have been convinced fat is bad - but fat in our diet is essential. Our bodies need fat like a car needs oil. It is necessary for every bodily function, and without it, everything is off kilter. You do need to watch the type of fat you consume - but you need it.

Get off the diet cokes!!! They contain Aspartame, an ingrediant found in red ant poisen, and with enough of it in your system, you may exhibit symptoms of MS. No kidding.

Eat organic whenever you can. Paul Newman's daughter has a line of organic foods out and they are wonderful. Why organic? Because the pesticides, chemicals, hormones, etc. used in growing fruits and veggies and in raising animals for food cannot be washed off, cooked out, or otherwise removed.

It can be expensive to go ALL organic - but choose the items you consume themost of and change those over.

Here in Kentucky there is a brand of Beef called 'Laura's Lean'. It is sold at Kroger (and probably other places - not sure) and the meat is completely hormone free and the feed grain is pesticide and chemical free.

If you ever have the chance to try an organic vs. 'regular' banana - you will be amazed.

I could go on and on - but for the sake of everyone's time - let me suffice it to say - you can do this on your own - and if yoiu focus on Nutrition rather than eight loss - the weight will come off anyway when you are putting the good stuff into your body.

If anyone wants more info - let me know. I do nutritional consulting on the side from time to time and will happily share all the info I have!

Kimmiey

LISTEN TO THIS PERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss