Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:11 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,622 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how pure a food is that can be shipped through the mail. It must have a lot of preservatives.

Anyone who has ever seriously weight trained has been told not to eat carbs in the same sitting as protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 06:29 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
Anyone who has ever seriously weight trained has been told not to eat carbs in the same sitting as protein.
that's odd considering that i'm a bodybuilder, have studied sports nutrition for years, and have made plenty of diets for people and i have NEVER heard of that theory from anyone.
well, i'm sure i've probably heard it before from the same type of people who say stuff like "after <insert any number here>pm, your body stores everything as fat", or "dietary fat makes you fat" or "dietary cholesterol raises your serum cholesterol" or "all you need to grow is plenty of protein" or "whey protein isolate is much higher quality than whey protein concentrate" etc., but i've never read it from a reputable dietitian or a scientific journal.

so if you or kimmieyky could please give me some material to read about this theory, i would greatly appreciate it.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:59 AM

607 posts, read 3,557,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
that's odd considering that i'm a bodybuilder, have studied sports nutrition for years, and have made plenty of diets for people and i have NEVER heard of that theory from anyone.
well, i'm sure i've probably heard it before from the same type of people who say stuff like "after <insert any number here>pm, your body stores everything as fat", or "dietary fat makes you fat" or "dietary cholesterol raises your serum cholesterol" or "all you need to grow is plenty of protein" or "whey protein isolate is much higher quality than whey protein concentrate" etc., but i've never read it from a reputable dietitian or a scientific journal.

so if you or kimmieyky could please give me some material to read about this theory, i would greatly appreciate it.
I give up ............... Have a good workout!

Old 07-02-2007, 03:42 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
I give up ............... Have a good workout!
i'm not trying to argue with you; i'm sincerely curious about this theory. i've never heard it before, so i would like to learn more about it.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
I tried it two times in my life. First was years ago and lost weight then recently with their new program. The food wasn't all that wonderful and had a ton of preservatives. You would do better with frozen Kashi meals and careful planning.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,723 times
I've always heard that you're supposed to eat carbs, protein and fat together. What does seperating them do? If that's what I'm doing wrong I'll change tomorrow!
My husband and I tried Nutrisystem, he lost 25 pounds I fluctuated between the same 6 pounds for the three months we were on it.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,371 times
Hello, Gauldenb.

Since your original post, have you continued to lose weight? I just went on the vegetarian version of NutriSystem, and I do like most of the food. At $10, it isn't bad, but it's a little misleading...you still have to buy your own fruit, dairy, and vegetables. I've only been on it 5 days, and I've lost 4.4 pounds. The first two days were hard, but I'm getting the hang of it now. What I am learning is that, even though I used to eat the same amount of calories, I'm replacing breads, rice, and sugary snacks with NutriSystem snacks, fruits, and vegetables. I'm already thinking about how I'm going to keep this sort of eating plan in place long-term so I don't gain the weight back. I plan on being on this diet for 9 more weeks and then trying to do it on my own.

Last edited by bikermom; 09-10-2007 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: To address specific person

Old 09-11-2007, 06:10 PM

50,363 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I've been on Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, Diet Center, Weight Watchers, Physician's Weight Loss. They all work while you are on them, but the weight comes right back on once you stop. You might as well not waste your money.
I suggest you try Weight Watchers online. You eat regular food, but you can learn portion control, and how to recognize what the high calorie (points) foods are.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:23 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
i'm not trying to argue with you; i'm sincerely curious about this theory. i've never heard it before, so i would like to learn more about it.
Here is a little info:

(http://www.actabit.com/combining-food-diet): (broken link)

Old 01-12-2008, 01:17 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikermom View Post
Hello, Gauldenb.

Since your original post, have you continued to lose weight? I just went on the vegetarian version of NutriSystem, and I do like most of the food. At $10, it isn't bad, but it's a little misleading...you still have to buy your own fruit, dairy, and vegetables. I've only been on it 5 days, and I've lost 4.4 pounds. The first two days were hard, but I'm getting the hang of it now. What I am learning is that, even though I used to eat the same amount of calories, I'm replacing breads, rice, and sugary snacks with NutriSystem snacks, fruits, and vegetables. I'm already thinking about how I'm going to keep this sort of eating plan in place long-term so I don't gain the weight back. I plan on being on this diet for 9 more weeks and then trying to do it on my own.
I started NutriSystem last week for the 2nd time. My husband and I went on it in 2006 and I lost 30 pounds from January 15th to March 1st that year. He lost a little less, but he was eating a regular lunch each day, mostly McDonalds, due to his job schedule. Men can eat more, anyway. We went on vacation March 1st and I was so proud of the weight loss that I wanted to celebrate by eating. Big mistake. When I got home I kept eating and gained the weight back by the end of the summer. I totally gave up last year and did not diet in 2007, but I am back on track now. What I like about Nutrisystem is how easy it is to prepare. It's quick to prepare, too, so I don't end up snacking while I prepare dinner. Hopefully, I will again loose the 30 pounds by March. No vacation this year, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss