Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 01:09 PM

10,372 posts, read 10,749,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
If by "competitive" you mean someone who will win the marathon or place near the top finishers, you're correct. But I assure you, a 3:30 marathon is an exceptional time and averages out to running 26.2 miles at a steady 8 minute per mile pace. My P.R. in the marathon is 3:44 and the amount of training it takes to get to that point is arduous and lengthy.

90% of American teenagers couldn't even run one single mile in 8 minutes, never mind 26.
I agree. It used to be that a 3:30 marathon was average. Then a lot more people started trying to run marathons and the average time when to over 4:10.

My PR was a 3:49. I was 43 and 200lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 11:24 AM

48,696 posts, read 35,163,373 times
I lost about 3/4 of the weight I wanted to just via exercise since I started around January. Granted, I eat pretty healthy to begin with, but I was in no way depriving myself.

In the final month leading up to summer I am adding in some calorie controls for the last 5 pounds or so.

Getting back into a regular exercise routine has had tons of benefits besides the lost weight, better health (quantifiable via glucose and BP monitoring), more centered emotionally, I LIKE seeing toned muscles, I like being strong.

And while it is absolutely true that you can't outrun your fork, I LIKE being able to eat more. I love food.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-04-2021, 12:39 PM

12,116 posts, read 6,355,529 times
Sign in my gym: weight loss is 15% exercise, 85% diet. You can’t work-out your way to low body fat. Unless you are a professional athlete. Then you can. The point is, there are exceptions to every rule.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:00 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,438,605 times
More typical anti-exercise BS.

How many overweight world class marathoners, bicycle racers, or swimmers do you see?

Old 05-04-2021, 01:00 PM

We have a friend who started body competitions (what do you call those?!!), anyway, he whipped up his shirt to show his 6 pack, and said he did not ab exercises, it was all diet.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:03 AM

3,538 posts, read 2,535,633 times
Some fun info:

If you are already maintaining your weight through "x" diet and "y" exercise, but not losing or gaining...

and if

You do nothing new EXCEPT do one more hour of cardio fitness training (jumping ropes, tabatas, lunges, jogging, bicycling, walking, etc)...

then

you will lose some weight.

How much? Depends on a whole bunch of things. Mostly science, fat vs. muscle, intensity of exercise, etc. etc.

but "some" is more than "none." That's the thing right there.

If you exercise more than you currently do, you WILL burn more calories. If you were gaining, you'll gain slower. If you were losing, you'll lose faster. If you were maintaining, you might see a little loss.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Some fun info:

If you are already maintaining your weight through "x" diet and "y" exercise, but not losing or gaining...

and if

You do nothing new EXCEPT do one more hour of cardio fitness training (jumping ropes, tabatas, lunges, jogging, bicycling, walking, etc)...

then

you will lose some weight.

How much? Depends on a whole bunch of things. Mostly science, fat vs. muscle, intensity of exercise, etc. etc.

but "some" is more than "none." That's the thing right there.

If you exercise more than you currently do, you WILL burn more calories. If you were gaining, you'll gain slower. If you were losing, you'll lose faster. If you were maintaining, you might see a little loss.

Which is probably why I always lose weight on cruises despite a buffet every time you turn around. You walk A LOT on a large ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss