Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 07:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,698,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Do we even know that? Starting to wonder about all those myths about exercise now.

The study did say there were benefits to exercise but you cannot think that exercise directly relates to what you burn in a day. Now I know why so many times when I was stuck at a plateau and did exercise it did absolutely nothing for my weight loss.
There are obviously benefits to exercise, but too many people are caught up with burning calories and/or how many steps they walked. Most people can't exercise enough to put a dent in the fat they have accumulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, I KNOW that. Out of shape, got older, worked out 20 hours a week, looked great! Moved 2500, first winter, didn't have a workout routine, Covid, my body melted towards the floor.

Back on workout routine, and I would say 50% improvement. Should be in bikini shape by summer.

Losing weight is like 99% diet, I don't think everyone has ever said different.

Problem when you exercise, you get hungrier (at least I do), so I have to watch what I shovel in my face.

While I weigh 130, which is okay for 5'5, I am more comfortable at 120ish. When I DON'T exercise my blood sugar makes problems and my blood pressure goes through the roof.

Before I moved, after a steady stream of exercise, I was completely off blood pressure meds. This last year? Sky rocketed again. Had to go back on meds, and then double it.

After only a month of about 2 hours a day exercise, my blood pressure is lowering, in a few months I'll reduce my meds.
Definitely agree with the items I bolded. When I trained for marathons, I was constantly hungry. I was running up to 54 miles a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Weight gain is the result foods that the body stores for future use. In order to tap that food storage you have to eat a lot less than the normal meal plan. Anyone that eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner is maintaining and padding to the food stores in the body so no weight loss until you burn more than what you've eaten. The problem is the amounts of exercise that most people do just don't burn enough. Your can run for hours just to work off that breakfast. Since so many people eat around 800 calories for lunch, that can take a full 4+ hours of running. There's no way anyone can be running for 4 hours straight.
You need to look at the times that people run in marathons. The top runners are finishing around 2:10. But probably half the people who complete a marathon take over 4 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 07:28 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,254,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
There are obviously benefits to exercise, but too many people are caught up with burning calories and/or how many steps they walked. Most people can't exercise enough to put a dent in the fat they have accumulated.

Definitely agree with the items I bolded. When I trained for marathons, I was constantly hungry. I was running up to 54 miles a week.

You need to look at the times that people run in marathons. The top runners are finishing around 2:10. But probably half the people who complete a marathon take over 4 hours.
As per this, I would love to run, Im going to start a training program. But noone should be trying to run off a whole meal. Running for general fitness and cardiovascular health is important (cardio in general) but people shouldnt be trying to out exercise their food.

Food is definitely a huge part of it.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:01 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times
Quote:
The more you eat, the higher your metabolism goes to try to maintain homeostasis. It is entirely possible that the exercise does nothing, it is the fact that he has increased his calories so greatly that his body is doing adaptive thermogenesis.

In addition... eating certain foods can increase your metabolism. Lack of insulin increases the TDEE, the rock has been open about doing intermittent fasting.

So there are clearly other reasons -- other than exercise -- that the TDEE can increase.

Also, what is the rock's basic TDEE... he is a big man. Also muscle mass increases the TDEE.
You must really hate to exercise.

If you burn more calories than you take in you will lose weight. If you burn 400 calories during an hour of exercise and NOT eat an extra 400 calories you will be at a deficit.

The whole idea that exercise alone can help one lose weight has been debunked a long time ago. The same adage applies - you cannot out run your fork.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,761,583 times
Quote:
You're talking about top runners, none of us here are competitive runners. I'm simply pointing out the caloric intake cost necessary to burn it. That's why most people who thinks exercise is gonna help them lose weight will fail without a proper diet regime.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,437,403 times
The best thing I ever did was buy a Total Gym to strengthen my muscles ---lo and behold
I slimmed down!

Old 02-26-2021, 07:40 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,570,574 times
Quote:
There are obviously benefits to exercise, but too many people are caught up with burning calories and/or how many steps they walked. Most people can't exercise enough to put a dent in the fat they have accumulated..
In my experience it was never me who thought exercise would do anything for weight loss. It was gym owners and weight watchers / health insurance and even my boss who is willing to allow people to have an hour and 1/2 lunch and look the other way as long as they go to the gym.

They put me on the treadmill to nowhere and when I said nothing happened they acted like I was lying. Although lets be real.. something did happen.. I was more hungry.

IMHO it would be better to take that mental focus and use it on the food part of your diet. Get less insulin, get less sugar. Do more fasting. Drink more water.

I am free now. Of course I do exercise during the day. Reasonable exercise just living my life. I got a fit bit for xmas and I do more steps then I though I was during the pandemic.

I also think that as the "myths" of diet and exercise all turn out to be lies.. people need to question everything. And yes, I even think that means questioning if there are "obviously" Benefits to exercise.

A couple of years back I had a boss that used to go on about exercise all the time... and he did it. Then he broke his leg. He was laid up and not back to normal for a year. Yet, he gained zero weight. I asked people ... how that happened... now I know.. he was always thin ... he just thought it was exercise... it wasn't.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You're talking about top runners, none of us here are competitive runners. I'm simply pointing out the caloric intake cost necessary to burn it. That's why most people who thinks exercise is gonna help them lose weight will fail without a proper diet regime.
You said:

Quote:
There's no way anyone can be running for 4 hours straight.
I responded that there are a lot of people running marathons are running with times over 4 hours. I think most marathons state that the course closes after 6 hours. Someone who is running a 5-6 hour marathon is not a competitive runner. Some would argue that a 3:30 marathon runner is not a competitive runner.

I do agree with you that for most people, exercise alone is not enough to lose weight. The reason is they are not in good enough shape to do enough exercise to make a difference. I'm 65 and have had to recently start watching my calorie intake. A combination of genetic and exercise allowed me to eat anything without gaining weight until now. I'm just not able to exercise the way I did my entire life.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
In my experience it was never me who thought exercise would do anything for weight loss. It was gym owners and weight watchers / health insurance and even my boss who is willing to allow people to have an hour and 1/2 lunch and look the other way as long as they go to the gym.

They put me on the treadmill to nowhere and when I said nothing happened they acted like I was lying. Although lets be real.. something did happen.. I was more hungry.

IMHO it would be better to take that mental focus and use it on the food part of your diet. Get less insulin, get less sugar. Do more fasting. Drink more water.

I am free now. Of course I do exercise during the day. Reasonable exercise just living my life. I got a fit bit for xmas and I do more steps then I though I was during the pandemic.

I also think that as the "myths" of diet and exercise all turn out to be lies.. people need to question everything. And yes, I even think that means questioning if there are "obviously" Benefits to exercise.

A couple of years back I had a boss that used to go on about exercise all the time... and he did it. Then he broke his leg. He was laid up and not back to normal for a year. Yet, he gained zero weight. I asked people ... how that happened... now I know.. he was always thin ... he just thought it was exercise... it wasn't.
Sorry but I disagree with many of your points. I'm a strong believer in exercise. I have never exercised with the goal of burning calories or losing weight. I have run, swam, played basketball, skied, and lifted weights since I was an early teenager. I'm now 65 and stronger than I was in college. Being healthy is not complicated. There are three things you must do to be healthy. You need sufficient cardiovascular exercise. You need to lift weights. And you need to maintain a diet that limits calories and fat intake, and provides the necessary nutrients including protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. I believe in limiting sugar and salt. I don't believe in fasting, drinking excess water, counting calories, or counting steps.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:48 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,602,775 times
Quote:
Um no.. this guy spent 10 years studying them to see if they actually DID consume more calories that modern city dwellers and the "scientific" conclusion was.. NO, No they don't.
They consume 3,000 calories per day which is more than the Western diet.

They don't burn that many calories because most of their activity is walking and they're not focused on aerobic walking.

Most of the rest of the article is just feeding conclusions without any support. Most people exaggerate how much rigor they put into exercise. Take it with a pound of salt when someone says they run. It is like any other activity with intensity, duration, and consistency determining how effective it is in losing fat. A lot of people are also gaining muscle when they exercise.

Why people soon stop losing weight on a diet

The initial weight loss slows your metabolism

They have to exercise to maintain muscle mass.

Last edited by lchoro; 02-26-2021 at 10:22 AM..

Old 02-26-2021, 10:40 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,570,574 times
Quote:
Sorry but I disagree with many of your points. I'm a strong believer in exercise. I have never exercised with the goal of burning calories or losing weight. I have run, swam, played basketball, skied, and lifted weights since I was an early teenager. I'm now 65 and stronger than I was in college.
And you put it right in your post -- you believe -- fortunately now someone has done the actual research, and we not longer have to "believe".

You believe because YOU want to. You like exercise.

But I don't like to excess exercise and I used to get shamed for that. I don't have to anymore now that facts are on my side.

I hope everyone who is reads this and finds out the truth will stop wasting their time. Belief is not worth anything. Facts are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss