Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 12:32 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,290,617 times

Advertisements

So if you stop taking it, you blow back up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 01:55 PM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I guess this ^^^ -- the bolded -- is what I have a hard time understanding.

In 3 months -- say, 13 weeks -- you have lost about 1.5 pounds a week, which usually can be done with NO meds of any kind -- just changes in diet and exercise. (OK, I wrote "JUST changes in diet and exercise" -- and I did NOT mean to be dismissive with that statement, since those things are often very hard to do -- but they ARE do-able without chemical help.)

I've lost quite a bit of weight over the past 15-16 months or so, mostly by eating very healthfully, then adding exercise when I could (that's easier after losing some weight, of course!). I have no idea how many pounds I lost as I don't keep a scale in my house -- I simply go my how my clothes are fitting. And now I can fit back into my "skinny" clothes from many years ago (which for me are size 4-6-8, depending on whether "vanity sizing" is in effect! ).

Now, if there had been a weight-loss pill that promised that I'd lose, say, 4-5 pounds a week, I would have definitely said, "SIGN ME UP!" But I can do half a pound, a pound, a pound and a half a week MYSELF, and I think most people could. So if that's all I'm going to lose -- which I know is a healthy amount -- then I don't see the need for any kind of medication.

So really, I'm just puzzled. I promise I'm not being snarky or dismissive -- I would NEVER be about this subject. But I'm puzzled.
I mentioned this in a rep comment (in case you weren't still following the thread), but "yay for you" if you don't need help with diabetes or weight loss - then clearly this medication isn't for you. But for the vast majority who struggle, especially those who also have diabetes or other medical complications, this drug can be a miracle. And let me be clear, Ozempic specifically is intended for diabetes; weight loss is just a welcomed side effect, which is facilitated by the change in appetite and how our bodies process sugar/carbs/etc.

I wasn't a massive overeater, and I surely know how to eat right and exercise. Been there done that, and was on the weight + A1C yo-yo for decades. Now thanks to Ozempic my A1C and glucose numbers are NORMAL, and the weight just kind of melted off as a result. Down 63lbs now, and still losing an average of 3-4lbs per month. Just because weight loss is easy for you, don't shame or "be puzzled" by the millions of people for whom it's not. Would you say the same for people on blood pressure medication? They could just change their diet too. Right?

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-11-2024 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-11-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
So if you stop taking it, you blow back up?
Not necessarily. If you use the time on this medication to "re-train your brain" and lifestyle, you can maintain without it - or with a lower maintenance dose. But for many, yes, this is a lifetime medication (at least until something better comes along). Again, it's primarily intended for DIABETES. If someone is on insulin for diabetes, would you tell them to stop taking it once their numbers are under control? I doubt it.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
No.

When you've reached your ideal weight you've learned proper portion size and as per your doctor's instructions you've learned the importance of exercise.
Not true. For most people this will be a lifetime or at least long-term medication, just like any others that treat diabetes and its related complications. And exercise has little to do with anything, since weight loss and diabetes control are about 90% diet-related. If you want to tone and strengthen your body, that's when exercise matters.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:46 AM

61,901 posts, read 87,406,262 times
Ozempic and Wegovy overdose calls have spiked.

Poison centers see nearly 1,500% increase in calls related to injected weight-loss drugs as people accidentally overdose.

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/new...-side-effects/

Not sure how "accidental" it is. I think that some people try to speed up their weight loss.

Bad news:
While the drugs have proven useful for many in their weight loss journey, doctors note that stopping the medication will in most cases result in consumers gaining all of the weight back.

Old 01-22-2024, 11:06 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,432,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not true. For most people this will be a lifetime or at least long-term medication, just like any others that treat diabetes and its related complications. And exercise has little to do with anything, since weight loss and diabetes control are about 90% diet-related. If you want to tone and strengthen your body, that's when exercise matters.
That is dangerous misinformation, and the purpose is to sell drugs. Exercise prevents obesity, and can cure it.

The research showing exercise does not help with weight loss is defective and deceptive. The intervention was a small amount of exercise over a short period of time.

In addition, weight loss is the wrong measurement, since exercise builds muscle, which weighs more than fat.

That fake research has very unfortunately caused millions to get on these drugs.

Old 01-22-2024, 12:38 PM

256 posts, read 118,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Bad news:
While the drugs have proven useful for many in their weight loss journey, doctors note that stopping the medication will in most cases result in consumers gaining all of the weight back.
That's very bad news.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM

21,900 posts, read 25,225,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Ozempic and Wegovy overdose calls have spiked.

Poison centers see nearly 1,500% increase in calls related to injected weight-loss drugs as people accidentally overdose.

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/new...-side-effects/

Not sure how "accidental" it is. I think that some people try to speed up their weight loss.

Bad news:
That's my thought.

Wegovy is a single-use auto injector that you use once per week. Pretty hard to accidentally overdose on that and much more likely that people are intentionally overdosing.
It is not an adverse effect when someone overdoses, accidentally or not, on a medication. Adverse effects occur when medications are properly taken.
They were not originally for diabetes. That's the big difference between Ozempic and Wegovy. Ozempic is for diabetes. Wegovy is for weight loss. Wegovy is used for fat people, many of whom are diabetics, to lose weight. Ozempic is used for diabetics, most of whom are fat, with poorly controlled blood sugar to control their blood sugar by getting them to stop compulsively eating.

The last part though on regaining weight, yup. Eventually the lifestyle and dietary choices that lead to someone being fat have to be addressed or everyone will be on them perpetually. For someone with a lengthy track record of being incapable on their own of making those lifestyle and dietary changes, which is probably most of the people on them, it's not hopeless. But it does mean they are to either be on them perpetually or it's a step one and needs to be accompanied with regular visits with nutritionist and behavioral therapists. In a nation with lots of obese people they're good drugs, just not miracles.

Old 01-27-2024, 02:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,853,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's my thought.

Wegovy is a single-use auto injector that you use once per week. Pretty hard to accidentally overdose on that and much more likely that people are intentionally overdosing.
It is not an adverse effect when someone overdoses, accidentally or not, on a medication. Adverse effects occur when medications are properly taken.
They were not originally for diabetes. That's the big difference between Ozempic and Wegovy. Ozempic is for diabetes. Wegovy is for weight loss. Wegovy is used for fat people, many of whom are diabetics, to lose weight. Ozempic is used for diabetics, most of whom are fat, with poorly controlled blood sugar to control their blood sugar by getting them to stop compulsively eating.

The last part though on regaining weight, yup. Eventually the lifestyle and dietary choices that lead to someone being fat have to be addressed or everyone will be on them perpetually. For someone with a lengthy track record of being incapable on their own of making those lifestyle and dietary changes, which is probably most of the people on them, it's not hopeless. But it does mean they are to either be on them perpetually or it's a step one and needs to be accompanied with regular visits with nutritionist and behavioral therapists. In a nation with lots of obese people they're good drugs, just not miracles.
When I was on semaglutide (wegovy, ozempic), the tech I went to started with the lowest dosage and gradually brought me up to the max. It was a compound, and was filled in a vial. I was given vials and syringes and I drew the amount myself. So, yeah, with that type of prescription, you could easily overdose if you chose to.

This was strictly a weight loss tool, nothing to do with diabetes. I think the compound also had some supplement-type additive to help prevent bone loss, not sure exactly about that part.

Old 01-28-2024, 12:16 PM

21,900 posts, read 25,225,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
When I was on semaglutide (wegovy, ozempic), the tech I went to started with the lowest dosage and gradually brought me up to the max. It was a compound, and was filled in a vial. I was given vials and syringes and I drew the amount myself. So, yeah, with that type of prescription, you could easily overdose if you chose to.

This was strictly a weight loss tool, nothing to do with diabetes. I think the compound also had some supplement-type additive to help prevent bone loss, not sure exactly about that part.
As stated, Wegovy (and Ozempic) only come as a single use autoinjector. Those are the only two FDA-approved semaglutide medications. Since they are listed on the shortages list, however, compound pharmacies are allowed to make generic compounds on a waiver basis.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarket...or-weight-loss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss