Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 05:20 PM

12,564 posts, read 9,654,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
When I was on semaglutide (wegovy, ozempic), the tech I went to started with the lowest dosage and gradually brought me up to the max. It was a compound, and was filled in a vial. I was given vials and syringes and I drew the amount myself. So, yeah, with that type of prescription, you could easily overdose if you chose to.

This was strictly a weight loss tool, nothing to do with diabetes. I think the compound also had some supplement-type additive to help prevent bone loss, not sure exactly about that part.
Yes, I started on the same, self-administered semaglutide injections via single-use syringes and a vial of solution, this evening. The labeling and dosing instructions I received absolutely sucked, but I am a PhD chemist and fortunately I found good info online... was a little nervous about the injection being painful, but I barely felt it. There is a slowly ascending dose regimen - I think that is normal.

Dosing Instructions I found helpful:
https://prestonspharmacy.com/semaglutide-how-to-inject/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFKM-vIM6m4

Conversion of vial concentration (mg/mL) and dosage in units, to dosage in mL:
mL = (units * concentration) / 100
per https://statcarewalkin.com/info/sema...onversion.html

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-28-2024 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Ozempic and Wegovy overdose calls have spiked.

Poison centers see nearly 1,500% increase in calls related to injected weight-loss drugs as people accidentally overdose.

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/new...-side-effects/

Not sure how "accidental" it is. I think that some people try to speed up their weight loss.

Bad news:
While the drugs have proven useful for many in their weight loss journey, doctors note that stopping the medication will in most cases result in consumers gaining all of the weight back.
I would also guess that people are deliberately choosing to disregard the dosing instructions. Heck, "Acetaminophen toxicity is the second most common cause of liver transplantation worldwide and the most common cause of liver transplantation in the US. It is responsible for 56,000 emergency department visits, 2,600 hospitalizations, and 500 deaths per year in the United States"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/N...ited%20States.

- and that's "Tylenol"... it's safe when taken as directed, but you get fools who think "If some is good, then more is better!" - that's a very bad idea, with any drug, even over the counter drugs.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM

Here are some recent (Dec 14, 2023) clinical trial results for semaglutide (the active ingredient in Wegovy and Ozempic), published in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2307563

"patients 45 years of age or older who had preexisting cardiovascular disease and a body-mass index of 27 or greater but no history of diabetes... The primary cardiovascular end point was a composite of death from cardiovascular causes, nonfatal myocardial infarction, or nonfatal stroke in a time-to-first-event analysis... 17,604 patients were enrolled; 8803 were assigned to receive semaglutide and 8801 to receive placebo... The mean duration of exposure to semaglutide or placebo was 34.2 months, and the mean duration of follow-up was 39.8 months. A primary cardiovascular end-point event occurred in 569 of the 8803 patients (6.5%) in the semaglutide group and in 701 of the 8801 patients (8.0%) in the placebo group (hazard ratio, 0.80; 95% confidence interval, 0.72 to 0.90; P<0.001). Adverse events leading to permanent discontinuation of the trial product occurred in 1461 patients (16.6%) in the semaglutide group and 718 patients (8.2%) in the placebo group"

That hazard ratio indicates they saw a 20% reduction in death from cardiovascular causes, nonfatal myocardial infarction, or nonfatal stroke in the semaglutide treated patient group. This is why my cardiologist asked me to go on semaglutide last fall. It's taken me a little while, but I just started. He's very solid, and he works out of Massachusetts General Hospital, which is normally ranked within the top 3 US hospitals nationally.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-03-2024 at 04:11 PM..

Old 02-07-2024, 08:53 AM

851 posts, read 781,684 times
Jeez, a thread full of full truth, full lies and everything in between.

Started Oz ten days ago. Weigh 315 (has been as high as 410 two decades ago) relatively healthy, but crept into the diabetes zone after 9 months of eating well (poorly….LOL).

The Doc thought Oz would be worth trying. So I’m going to give it a shot for 6 months as long as the side effects are minimal. Combining this with a lower carb (not low carbs, maybe 100 a day) diet and restarting weight training that I’ve been slacking on the past couple of years.

Began with the starter dose, so far minimal side effects (some constipation- need to start drinking that vile stuff some people call water). Felt some appetite suppression right away, lost 4 lbs the first week.

Old 04-27-2024, 01:55 PM

85 posts, read 22,778 times
was on ozempic last year and lost 30 pounds over 5 months. my insurance covered it until they did their hard shut down the in September on all of us that are not diabetics.

I am now on Medicare so I have been off of it since October since I had enough to carry over till then. I was fluctuating 4- 5 pound weigh gain then after Christmas it went up. I am now 13 pounds higher.

I am now on compounding semaglutide (rebelsus) only because I can't find depbound anywhere 15ml in 100,iles in my area. I was going to pay cash as Medicare does not cover this drug. So my Pharmacy recommended a Compounding Pharmacy that does this which I explained to my Family Doctor and she approved it. It's .05mg under the tongue every day. and cost $190.00. I am not hungry so better than nothing.

Old 04-27-2024, 06:55 PM

30,513 posts, read 19,271,318 times
Since I was diagnosed with diabetes many years ago, all of my efforts have gone into adopting a diet to address my diabetes and avoid medication and I think I've finally done it. I'm down 65 lbs and now extremely fit due to no carb diet (Carnivore) and no need for meds.

I was willing to take meds if I just wasn't able to fix my issues with diet and still am but I think I'm right to treat my diabetes with proper human food rather than meds.

Old 05-03-2024, 07:20 PM

1,936 posts, read 1,828,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Interesting well balanced article

https://healthnews.com/family-health...c-weight-loss/

What's not said is that it can be very expensive

Thanks for the thread I got a lot of information to think about.

Old Today, 09:52 AM

851 posts, read 781,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Jeez, a thread full of full truth, full lies and everything in between.

Started Oz ten days ago. Weigh 315 (has been as high as 410 two decades ago) relatively healthy, but crept into the diabetes zone after 9 months of eating well (poorly….LOL).

The Doc thought Oz would be worth trying. So I’m going to give it a shot for 6 months as long as the side effects are minimal. Combining this with a lower carb (not low carbs, maybe 100 a day) diet and restarting weight training that I’ve been slacking on the past couple of years.

Began with the starter dose, so far minimal side effects (some constipation- need to start drinking that vile stuff some people call water). Felt some appetite suppression right away, lost 4 lbs the first week.
Just an update…..been on it like 14 weeks, now at 1 mg, relatively disappointed in the weight loss (11 lbs, so 0.78 lbs per week). There are bouts of diarrhea when not eating cleanly, so there is some planning involved going places.

I have another 10 weeks of it left, probably won’t continue after that.

Old Today, 09:56 AM

740 posts, read 475,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Just an update…..been on it like 14 weeks, now at 1 mg, relatively disappointed in the weight loss (11 lbs, so 0.78 lbs per week). There are bouts of diarrhea when not eating cleanly, so there is some planning involved going places.

I have another 10 weeks of it left, probably won’t continue after that.
You are on too low of a dose in my opinion to lose weight. I didn’t lose any significant weight until my doctor increased my dose to 2 mg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss