Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 12:23 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Update: I MY current weight is down to 212 from starting weight of around 228. so the progress keeps coming. I have heard many stories of success eating this way.

soon I might need to buy new clothes but I don't think I will have to until I get down to around 200. I am feeling so much better cutting out carbs I am not craving those junk foods anymore. I have even slowed down a lot on my exercise but I plan on picking it up again soon.
It's a matter of changing habits. Sounds easier than it is because our habits are so ingrained in daily behavior. I had to learn to weigh 227, right?... Took years! So now I am learning to weigh 180. Lost another pound this last month so I am at 184. BUT, when I see that 180 on the scale nothing will change. I will know that my behavior - the one I just learned - will maintain my health.

It helped us a lot when we just quit buying all the "stuff" we know is not good for you. Generally, we avoid eating anything that has a list of ingredients.

**Heard a great idea that I actually have not tried, but it sounds good!......... After dinner, put down your fork and go for a walk. That seems like it would work well for those people who suffer from wanting dessert or second helpings and things of that nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 12:31 PM

3,393 posts, read 1,545,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's a matter of changing habits. Sounds easier than it is because our habits are so ingrained in daily behavior. I had to learn to weigh 227, right?... Took years! So now I am learning to weigh 180. Lost another pound this last month so I am at 184. BUT, when I see that 180 on the scale nothing will change. I will know that my behavior - the one I just learned - will maintain my health.

It helped us a lot when we just quit buying all the "stuff" we know is not good for you. Generally, we avoid eating anything that has a list of ingredients.

**Heard a great idea that I actually have not tried, but it sounds good!......... After dinner, put down your fork and go for a walk. That seems like it would work well for those people who suffer from wanting dessert or second helpings and things of that nature.

ya, when you get to your goal weight you still want to eat the same way or you balloon up again. that's the funny thing about second helpings. when I ate carbs I always wanted second helpings but eating meat is so satiating I have no desire for more. it's not only about weight but I have more energy now. I stopped eating potatoes once a week I found they make me sleepy after eating were meat does not.

Old 08-19-2023, 08:53 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
"In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires," Benjamin Franklin.
Poor Richard's Almanac, 1734.

Nice!

Old 08-19-2023, 09:19 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
# 1 There's "dieting" to lose weight that doesn't seem to last and weight piles back on after diet ends...restricting certain foods and lack of adequate nutrients makes these diets fail..."yo yo dieting."

#2 Then, there's eating in a way that improves health and also helps with weight loss and lasts as the healthy way of eating is sustainable. No deprivation; no hunger, fully satisfying and tastes good. Mediterranean diet a good example.

Which one will we chose for the win??

Old 08-19-2023, 10:28 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Poor Richard's Almanac, 1734.

Nice!

Even back then they knew some people ate too much or too poorly, often the rich.

I remember reading from an ancient Greek author, perhaps Herodotus, that the overconsumtion of "sweet meats" was unhealthy and hurt longevity.

The difference today is the pure laziness with which you can eat 4000 calories in a single sitting, at low cost.

Old 08-19-2023, 11:10 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Even back then they knew some people ate too much or too poorly, often the rich.

I remember reading from an ancient Greek author, perhaps Herodotus, that the overconsumtion of "sweet meats" was unhealthy and hurt longevity.

The difference today is the pure laziness with which you can eat 4000 calories in a single sitting, at low cost.
It's odd. The most prevalent problem among America's lower middle class and poor people is they are too fat.
There is an awful lot to be learned by that one, cold hard fact.

I don't know what was meant by sweet meats, do you?

Old 08-19-2023, 11:16 AM

3,393 posts, read 1,545,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
# 1 There's "dieting" to lose weight that doesn't seem to last and weight piles back on after diet ends...restricting certain foods and lack of adequate nutrients makes these diets fail..."yo yo dieting."

#2 Then, there's eating in a way that improves health and also helps with weight loss and lasts as the healthy way of eating is sustainable. No deprivation; no hunger, fully satisfying and tastes good. Mediterranean diet a good example.

Which one will we chose for the win??
no there is no such thing as moderation. just like an alcoholic has to abstain from alcohol people who are addicted to carbs which humans should not eat should also avoid those foods. after a period of time you do not crave those foods anymore because you formed a different habit.

I don't feel deprived at all from my diet in fact I feel more satisfied.

Old 08-19-2023, 11:25 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's odd. The most prevalent problem among America's lower middle class and poor people is they are too fat.
There is an awful lot to be learned by that one, cold hard fact.

I don't know what was meant by sweet meats, do you?
He didn't define it. Maybe we would know if Caesar had not caused the Library of Alexandria to burn to the ground.

I found this on the web, but who knows?

How to make ancient greek sweet meat

200gr white flour ,50gr peeled almonds ,50gr walnuts ,50gr sesame ,150gr honey ,3 eggs

Old 08-20-2023, 07:41 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
no there is no such thing as moderation. just like an alcoholic has to abstain from alcohol people who are addicted to carbs which humans should not eat should also avoid those foods. after a period of time you do not crave those foods anymore because you formed a different habit.

I don't feel deprived at all from my diet in fact I feel more satisfied.
Oh, well let's agree to disagree. I believe in moderation. I practice it. It works. I used to eat the Standard American Diet. I switched.

I know numerous people (my DH and I among them) who practice a Mediterranean-type diet. And speaking for myself, I, for too many years, ate the heavy American-style processed white carb & fried food diet.

You know, the chips, pretzels, sodas, French fries, baked goods, crappy bread, fried chicken.

Way too little salads and vegetables and fruit.

Until weight gain in my older years and climbing unhappy lab results (climbing sugar and cholesterol values) made me examine my diet.

And I switched diets. My husband did, too--since I'm the cook...lol.

And I must confess I was a big sugar binger, too. Candy, mostly. And soft drinks. Lots of ice cream.

That's fallen by the wayside, too.

Are people addicted (physically)-- to carbs?? Like to opioids and tobacco?

Or is it more mental--from habit and custom--the way they were bought up?

I'll leave it to the psychologists to answer that...

But a thinking human, given nutritious food, can certainly become a person's new habit. Eating processed carbs leads to more processed carbs due to the body's response...blood sugar rises-then drops quickly. Result? Hunger. Body then wants more carbs...it's a nasty cycle that can be broken...

A big "yes" to moderation and to nutritious, satisfying foods...!!

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:16 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,722,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Oh, well let's agree to disagree. I believe in moderation. I practice it. It works. I used to eat the Standard American Diet. I switched.

I know numerous people (my DH and I among them) who practice a Mediterranean-type diet. And speaking for myself, I, for too many years, ate the heavy American-style processed white carb & fried food diet.

You know, the chips, pretzels, sodas, French fries, baked goods, crappy bread, fried chicken.

Way too little salads and vegetables and fruit.

Until weight gain in my older years and climbing unhappy lab results (climbing sugar and cholesterol values) made me examine my diet.

And I switched diets. My husband did, too--since I'm the cook...lol.

And I must confess I was a big sugar binger, too. Candy, mostly. And soft drinks. Lots of ice cream.

That's fallen by the wayside, too.

Are people addicted (physically)-- to carbs?? Like to opioids and tobacco?

Or is it more mental--from habit and custom--the way they were bought up?

I'll leave it to the psychologists to answer that...

But a thinking human, given nutritious food, can certainly become a person's new habit. Eating processed carbs leads to more processed carbs due to the body's response...blood sugar rises-then drops quickly. Result? Hunger. Body then wants more carbs...it's a nasty cycle that can be broken...

A big "yes" to moderation and to nutritious, satisfying foods...!!

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Well of course, with all those unhealthy foods you were eating a switch to moderation worked for you. There are people who NEVER ate all that junk.

As for those of us who limit carbs for health and weight reasons, my nutritionist says we each have a unique carb tolerance level. Mine is extremely low so I choose nutrient dense non starchy vegetables. You may be able to tolerate more since your eating choices are so much healthier than what you did before. If I go over my limit, I start craving more carbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss