Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
I know of course that water is good for you and drink a fair amount of it... Why though is it always stressed so much on a weight loss diet? Is it thought to fill you up so you aren't as hungry or does it have some properties that I'm not aware of?
I've read this many times. "Thirst is often confused with hunger."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Because people are misinformed and think the human body is way, way dumber than it actually is. Water doesn't stretch your stomach and create satiety. Well, for five minutes maybe, but you're going to get hungry right after. Your body isn't like, golly gee, I've got all this water pressing against my stomach, it must be food, I guess I don't need to eat.

If the toilet is bright yellow when you're done, have a glass of water. Otherwise, don't worry about it.
5 minutes is a big deal to somebody susceptible to cravings. That could mean the difference between ordering that dessert or passing on it.

Additionally, I have found that when I first start drinking a lot of water, I notice a large drop in weight, 5 pounds or so. This is a one time thing though (unfortunately!). I put this down to my body feeling like it is no longer dehydrated so it stops retaining water. Now that could be just gym science but it makes sense to me.

I think it is important to drink "enough" water but I don't think there is any benefit to going beyond that. There seems to be a lot of debate on what "enough" is but I think 8 glasses a day is a good minimum. (but I include coffee, milk and other fluids in those 8 glasses.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss