Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 AM

917 posts, read 2,304,067 times

Advertisements

I know of course that water is good for you and drink a fair amount of it... Why though is it always stressed so much on a weight loss diet? Is it thought to fill you up so you aren't as hungry or does it have some properties that I'm not aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:33 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,508,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
I know of course that water is good for you and drink a fair amount of it... Why though is it always stressed so much on a weight loss diet? Is it thought to fill you up so you aren't as hungry or does it have some properties that I'm not aware of?
No, it doesn't have special properties. If you drink one ore two glass of water before eating you would eat less because your stomach is full.
Also drinking water keeping your stomach full of water.
Your stomach when stretched(full of water or food) send a message of fullness to the brain and when empty it send message of hunger.
Why water? because it has 0 calories.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:22 PM

732 posts, read 4,164,028 times
Drinking water is an alternative to drinking a 2 liter soda with 880 calories.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,048,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Drinking water is an alternative to drinking a 2 liter soda with 880 calories.
One diabetic soda pop option is A&W Diet Root Beer. The 2-liter bottle nutritional information label states zero caffeine, calories, and carbs . . but 70mg of sodium per cup (website states only 45mg?), and it is sweetened with aspartame. A 50% water dilution cuts these amounts in half (in addition to melted ice dilution).

Old 05-14-2009, 03:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,982,826 times
Quote:
It also might be a myth. Other than drinking a healthy amount of water there may be no relevance to stressing drinking lots of water. Is there any scientific study that proves drinking more than a healthy amount has any weight loss benefits? Or, is it just speculation?

Old 05-14-2009, 04:13 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,508,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It also might be a myth. Other than drinking a healthy amount of water there may be no relevance to stressing drinking lots of water. Is there any scientific study that proves drinking more than a healthy amount has any weight loss benefits? Or, is it just speculation?
The only thing that I have read is water before a meal.
When you drink water before a meal you eat less.
This is not the actual study that I read but I found:
ScienceDirect - Journal of the American Dietetic Association : Water Consumption Reduces Energy Intake at a Breakfast Meal in Obese Older Adults

And

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v1...by2007506a.pdf

The only thing that I have heard is drinking before meals (nothing that has to do with the actual amount you drink each day).

Old 05-15-2009, 05:57 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,578,775 times
Several studies have indicated that most people go around slightly dehydrated. If you are slightly dehydrated your body will crave water and many people confuse the craving for food. I think that drinking plenty of water is just part of an overall healthy lifestyle which is what we are all aiming for anyway whether or not we need to lose a few pounds, right?

I did read recently that rather than focusing on drinking the 8 glasses of water daily, you should be drinking so many ounces per your body weight. It does make sense, a 6'4 200 lb man is going to need more water than a 5'2 120 lb woman. I forget what the formula is.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:03 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,556,991 times
A little bit of info:

Your body is 2/3 water, 75%, or something like that.....you have to replace what you lose through sweating, urinating, etc...

Water eliminates impurities in the system.....it also plumps up dry skin, etc.

And yes, it takes the place of food in the stomach for a short while and sends an early message to the brain that you are full.....With a full stomach, I believe that it takes about 20 minutes for the stomach to send the message to the brain that you are full...this is why we are told to eat slowly....most of us gobble up food, (including me), and that is why we tend to eat too much.......

Diet sodas might be calorie-free, but are loaded with sodium....and I've read that some 'fake' sugars tend to make people gain weight..... Also, drinks with bubbles in them tend to bloat the stomach....

Liquids with caffeine in them are diuretics....so they really don't count towards the required water consumption for the day.....

Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,751,302 times
Quote:
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl...fp=G7EFg_3LQek

Old 05-19-2009, 12:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,982,826 times
No one is questioning that water is required. However, is there any benefit in over-drinking water? If you need two quarts, is there a correlation with drinking more than two quarts with eating less calories over a long term (not a fifteen minute period).

I read the study above. It didn't mentioned that the older people at less during the day, only the meal following the water loading. It is possible that the older people ended up eating more later in the day too (as acknowledged in the study.) The technique had no affect on younger people either.

Conclusion: No conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss