Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:33 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
2-3 hours of working out!! Wow!! What the heck do you do for a living?! I can only get 1 1/2 hour.
2-3 hours is simple. 45 minute training sessions 3-4 times a week.
i was able to do that while i was in college taking a max course load for my double major while working two part-time jobs. if i can do that, anyone can.

oh, and i also averaged 9 hours of sleep every night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 PM

45 posts, read 147,476 times
Smile different way

Since I cannot exerise like normal people and a lot of my medications cause weight gain,I need extra help.Just eating right is not going to do it.(ICK!)Besides I cannot afford to eat the right foods(I am poor living on disability and child support). I now have a preascription for xenical(fat blocker). I do have to eat low fat,and watch my calories but nothing major(unless I want to). The Dr. did say I am a candidate for gastric bypass but I do not LOOK as big as I am really.(not that I look skinny,LOL) In one month I lost 14 lbs.My next weigh in(at clinic) is this Fri. according to my scale I lost 24 pounds now. I do not want to lose too fast or I will have REALLY saggy haning skin.(you know how gastric bypass people look after drastic loss ofweight so suddeninly.)

Old 06-12-2007, 03:52 PM

the anal leakage from xenical seems kinda scary.

also, eating fat doesn't make you fat!

what health problems prevent you from exercising?

Old 06-12-2007, 04:39 PM

45 posts, read 147,476 times
Talking Mr. Dude

I have degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue, osteoarthritis of both knees,both shoulders, both feet,one wrist,one ankle,myofacial pain. I also have a disease in both knees that makes my knees dislocate.I cannot exercise like a normal person. I am lucky I am still able to be a single mom and take care of EVERYTHING,I am not sitting on my butt all day.I do take painkillers,etc. and I still am in severe pain because I ALWAYS over do it.So exercise is out. This is the ONLY way for me to lose weight other than gastric bypass.I do not want surgery and yes eating too much fat DOES make you fat.(also too many calories) A couple of my medications cause weight gain.I have done it all and nothing works.I have lost 24 lbs. now in less than 2 months.There is no 'leakage' IF YOU EAT LESS FAT. It is a wonderful prescription for me....since I am not normally healthy and can exercise like normal people. It works wonderfully for me.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrlvr2 View Post
I have degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue, osteoarthritis of both knees,both shoulders, both feet,one wrist,one ankle,myofacial pain. I also have a disease in both knees that makes my knees dislocate.I cannot exercise like a normal person. I am lucky I am still able to be a single mom and take care of EVERYTHING,I am not sitting on my butt all day.I do take painkillers,etc. and I still am in severe pain because I ALWAYS over do it.So exercise is out. This is the ONLY way for me to lose weight other than gastric bypass.I do not want surgery and yes eating too much fat DOES make you fat.(also too many calories) A couple of my medications cause weight gain.I have done it all and nothing works.I have lost 24 lbs. now in less than 2 months.There is no 'leakage' IF YOU EAT LESS FAT. It is a wonderful prescription for me....since I am not normally healthy and can exercise like normal people. It works wonderfully for me.
that's a long list of health problems. i'm glad you're still able to be a fully functional single mom; i know i would a couch potato with all of that.

i'm glad that the xenical hasn't caused anal leakage.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:44 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,459 times
Quote:
I have health problems too so also have difficulty losing weight. I also did a round of hormonal chemo among other meds that really messed up my metabolism. Leta lone the ones I take now!
But I walk... can you walk? At least when I am walking I feel better. Can you do yoga? I do that too... I can also lift weights, when I am sitting There are workarounds if you think out side the box. Exercise is not always rigorous.
I have had so many surgeries even if I was a candidate for bypass I would not want to do it.

Many of your problems will get better when yous loose weight, and it sounds like you are loosing... so I do not understand the problem...you said 24 lbs in 2 months? I get happy if a loose 2 lbs in 2 months!!
MBG

Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachx90 View Post
What dieting tips have worked for you?
Chew your food 16 times.
Choose vegatables over french fries and potato chips
Eat slowly

Old 06-29-2013, 07:51 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
I always say that you should do what works for you and looks like you've found it. I wouldn't do it, but doesn't matter--I'm not you. You did say you can't afford healthy food but do you get enough vegetables? Do you have a way to grow a few? Also, oatmeal and beans are cheap and healthy. Healthy food is actually cheaper in the long run b/c junkfood is usually 10 cents worth of real ingredients and the rest is chemical stabilizers. Also, you say you can't exercise and I believe you, but do you have a way you could go swimming sometimes? It's ideal for those with arthritis and they have special water aerobic classes to get you started and it would be a great way to spend time with your kids.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:57 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,549 times
There is literally only one thing you need to do, as far as your diet goes, in order to lose weight.

Eat whole foods and avoid highly processed/refined foods.

That's it. You don't need to count calories, you don't need to enter everything you eat into an Excel spreadsheet, you don't need to make a fist or grab a pack of cards to determine a portion size, you don't need artificial sweeteners. You don't need to only eat sitting down, chew your food 29.3 times, take pills that cause lipids to leak from your orifices, have part of your stomach surgically removed, or do any other ridiculous gimmick. You just need to stop consuming calorically dense foods that are lacking in nutrition and satiation.

Chopping, grinding, slicing, pureeing, mashing, roasting...that kind of processing is fine, you're not removing anything.

Refined flours that have bran and germ layers removed, fruit juices that have had the fibrous pulp removed, oils that are extracted from seeds or fruits leaving 97% of the seed/fruit behind. Avoid these foods, they are bad for you. A little olive oil to sautee some vegetables or make pesto, or a TBSP of flour to thicken a sauce is ok, but these should be a very small part of your diet.

This is already covered under the above rule, but DO NOT DRINK CALORIES. No pop, no vitamin sugar water, no juice (contrary to popular opinion 100% fruit juice is not health food), no iced mochas, no Sunny D, no Koolaid, no Tampico, etc. Drink only water, plain tea, and plain coffee. That's it. You'll like the taste of plain tea and coffee once your sweet tooth goes away.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
There is literally only one thing you need to do, as far as your diet goes, in order to lose weight.

Eat whole foods and avoid highly processed/refined foods.
So if I eat three pounds of cheese, avocados, bananas, beans, cows milk, every day, I will lose more weight over time than if I ate three ounces of Cheetos every day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss