Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 04:09 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,355 times

Advertisements

Did someone say they can't afford to eat healthy? I can't afford fast food or processed food from the grocery store. That stuff is far far more expensive than meals cooked from scratch.

Which is cheaper?

A. Farmers sell the crops to Gigantic Food Conglomerate for a profit. Gigantic Food Conglomerate processes the crops and creates a product, which is then marked up and sold to the grocery store. Grocery store marks up the product again and sells it to the consumer.
B. Farmers sell the crops to the grocery store for a profit. Grocery store marks up the product and sells it to the consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So if I eat three pounds of cheese, avocados, bananas, beans, cows milk, every day, I will lose more weight over time than if I ate three ounces of Cheetos every day?
You would lose more weight on the Cheetos diet. At least until your metabolism slowed to a crawl, you developed scurvy, Keshan disease, osteoporosis, tetany, blindness, compromised immune function, you collapse and are rushed to a hospital where they put you on an IV. After which you are released, binge eat for a few weeks and gain it all back plus another 10 lbs.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
There is literally only one thing you need to do, as far as your diet goes, in order to lose weight.

Eat whole foods and avoid highly processed/refined foods.
contradicts

Quote:
You would lose more weight on the Cheetos diet.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Did someone say they can't afford to eat healthy?
I don't think I've read that. They may have written it takes more time and/or more money, but I don't think anyone has actually written they could not afford it.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
So if I eat three pounds of cheese, avocados, bananas, beans, cows milk, every day, I will lose more weight over time than if I ate three ounces of Cheetos every day?
By the way, let's say you do eat three pounds of those foods.

6 ounces cheddar= 684 calories
2 avocados (10 ounces)= 454 calories
4 bananas (1 lb)= 420 calories
1 pint whole milk (1 lb)= 300 calories
1 can of black beans (1 lb)= 228 calories

Oops, that's 4 lbs. It comes out to 2086 calories.

Now let's see what 4 lbs of Cheetos looks like...

9,600 calories.

In the real world, people have hunger cravings and nutritional needs and can't just eat 3 ounces of Cheetos per day.

As far as I know, this person's diet takes place in the real world and not in some asinine hypothetical construct of Charles' imagination in which people have limitless will power and bodies that can function on 3 ounces of Cheetos per day.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Now let's see what 4 lbs of Cheetos looks like...

9,600 calories.
100% correct..but completely irrelevant.

Nobody wrote anything about four pounds of Cheetos.

You wrote "literally only one thing" without regard to quantity. I wrote an example of how a small quantity of something unhealthy would result in more weight loss over time than a large quantity of only healthy things.

Didn't you catch that?

Old 07-02-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I don't think I've read that. They may have written it takes more time and/or more money, but I don't think anyone has actually written they could not afford it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrlvr2 View Post
I cannot afford to eat the right foods

Old 07-02-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
100% correct..but completely irrelevant.

Nobody wrote anything about four pounds of Cheetos.

You wrote "literally only one thing" without regard to quantity. I wrote an example of how a small quantity of something unhealthy would result in more weight loss over time than a large quantity of only healthy things.

Didn't you catch that?
I said "There is literally only one thing you need to do, as far as your diet goes, in order to lose weight."

Now let's ignore the fact that your hypothetical diet of 3 ounces of Cheetos per day is both ridiculous and completely unfeasible.

How is your 3 ounces of Cheetos per day diet relevant to my statement?

"All you have to do is" and "the only possible way to do it is" are not the same thing.

Didn't you catch that?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I said "There is literally only one thing you need to do, as far as your diet goes, in order to lose weight."

Now let's ignore the fact that your hypothetical diet of 3 ounces of Cheetos per day is both ridiculous and completely unfeasible.

How is your 3 ounces of Cheetos per day diet relevant to my statement?

"All you have to do is" and "the only possible way to do it is" are not the same thing.

Didn't you catch that?
"There is literally only one thing you need to do, as far as your diet goes, in order to lose weight. Eat whole foods and avoid highly processed/refined foods." is not necessarily true.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 AM

345 posts, read 993,991 times
My best tool is just to stop eating certain foods that trigger my compulsion to overeat. Most of them were junk food anyway. When someone brings goodies to work, I just remind myself there is no nutritional value in them and my body needs nutrition to be healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss