Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:10 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,742 times

Advertisements

I don't see the overpopulation problem in dogs as much as cats. I recently had 4 baby feral kittens that I placed into homes by having a sign outside my house. I really wanted to avoid them having to go to a shelter which is overburdened anyway.Their feral "home" got destroyed by landscapers and momma cat disappeared.
The kittens were gorgeous, smart, ( they were about 5 weeks old and it took me only 2 days to litter box train them ). I couldn't keep them b/c I am allergic. I know for sure 2 of the 4 kittens were placed in good homes. the other 2 I'm not so sure and I feel bad now and wish I would have taken those 2 to a shelter.
I gave each adopter a cat carrier, brochure for free/ low cost spay neuter program and $50. for first vet visit ( I didn't advertise the $ with the kitten either) B/C I want the spay/neuter done.
I think to remedy this it should be made law that ALL cats be spayed/ neutered.And of course, still continue to encourage dogs get spayed/neutered as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:45 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,410,031 times
This is absolutlely fantastic! First the Austin Petland shuts down because they can't sell puppies and now El Paso

FYI - Petland has been given the option to work with local shelters to have shelter dogs in store for adoption. (Same model as you see in Petsmart and Petco) Petlands corporate office is against this trend. They were not told they had to shut down, they were only advised that they couldn't sell puppies anymore.

This is definately one for the good guys! Puppies aren't produces and shouldn't be treated as if they are!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:55 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,943 times
It's on the back burner and I'm sure that's where it will stay. The pet store owners and so called "breeders" presented a united front at the city council meeting and said they could better handle this without government interference.

It's a shame the collective effort of the local rescue's and animal lovers couldn't make a difference here. But, like you say, we can keep trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I'm so happy I could burst!

Mayor Cook of El Paso is trying to outlaw the sale of puppies and kittens in pet stores, and is speaking out against the mills that breed them...he hopes that by doing so, it will reduce the number of unwanted animals in the overflowing shelters. A politician with a heart!!! Maybe this world really IS starting to wake up after all!

Mayor: Outlaw dog, cat sales at stores - El Paso Times

Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
on a related note, you should HEAR what the breeders and others that oppose our puppy mill cruelty bill that is on the November ballot are saying about THAT..... they have filed suit to have the name of the bill changed, because "puppy mill" and "cruelty" play too much to people's emotions.....

**sigh**

Old 08-12-2010, 12:34 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
on a related note, you should HEAR what the breeders and others that oppose our puppy mill cruelty bill that is on the November ballot are saying about THAT..... they have filed suit to have the name of the bill changed, because "puppy mill" and "cruelty" play too much to people's emotions.....

**sigh**
I hear you...the main point pressed at today's meeting was taking away the "choice" of an adult to purchase a puppy from a pet store...the mayor felt such purchases were impulsive, you know, cute puppies, etc. IMHO, most times they are impulsive - Petland will even offer a credit card to finance the inflated price.

I work in rescue and just had a local woman offer me a Frenchie she'd purchased from petland for $1600 - she'd paid $2400. She'd just had him for 4 days. That's impulsive, right? I asked her why she bought him and she said he was so cute and her 2 year old wanted a dog. Reasons for selling him? The usual - no time, peeing and pooping on the floor, etc.

I don't believe I'll see a change in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs