Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 PM

355 posts, read 911,632 times

Advertisements

I'll second the pet store notion, first they sell animals that are far far far far less quality then can be obtained from a reputable breed, notice reputalble not some byb throwing two dogs together. Although even this is often better than a puppy mill. Dogs at mills are literally caged up almost all day simply to breed usually in their own feces and urine. They are not socialized, or trained neither are there puppies who most often than not are taken far two young from their mother (usually between 4 and 6 weeks) most puppies should stay with mother up to 8-9 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 12:17 PM

245 posts, read 585,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
You're kidding, right? There is nothing responsible about a pet store selling puppies!

As for an alternative, how about a reputable breeder or a shelter or rescue? You know, they do have puppies at shelters, often times pure bred or "designer" breeds. One does not need to go to the pet store to get a puppy.
No,I'm not kidding.
Most pet stores,especially chains, have strict regulations for the animals that they sell.If they violate those regulations they are often fined or even closed.

The have SOME puppies at shelters. But they rarely have "pure-breeds" at least in the area that I live in currently.And as far "reputable" breeders..who's to say that they are "reputable?" Also,when their competition decreases,their prices will,of course,increase.

"Animal mills" exist to fill a need.
Do you honestly believe that banning pet stores from selling animals will do anything other than making said mills simply move their operations to online or word of mouth?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:20 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
No,I'm not kidding.
Most pet stores,especially chains, have strict regulations for the animals that they sell.If they violate those regulations they are often fined or even closed.

The have SOME puppies at shelters. But they rarely have "pure-breeds" at least in the area that I live in currently.And as far "reputable" breeders..who's to say that they are "reputable?" Also,when their competition decreases,their prices will,of course,increase.

Do you honestly believe that banning pet stores from selling animals will do anything other than making said mills simply move their operations to online or word of mouth?
Most of the stores are selling mutts like pug-beagles, chihuahua-doxies, labs-poodles, etc. You can find thousands of those at shelters. Thousands. In fact, name the breed and I will find you a rescue or shelter with that particular breed. Where do you think all these mill dogs end up if they're not sold? Yup, you guessed it, at your local rescue or shelter.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Most of the stores are selling mutts like pug-beagles, chihuahua-doxies, labs-poodles, etc. You can find thousands of those at shelters. Thousands. In fact, name the breed and I will find you a rescue or shelter with that particular breed. Where do you think all these mill dogs end up if they're not sold? Yup, you guessed it, at your local rescue or shelter.

I sincerely don't think that most people really understand that the dogs & cats sold at pet stores, more often than not, originate from a mill and then are sold through "brokers" who aft as the middle man between the mills and the stores.

I was pretty ignorant to it until my state started making the news so often a couple of summers ago.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:29 PM

anyone who says the can't find pure bread docs in a rescue or shelter is just not looking. period.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:29 PM

245 posts, read 585,936 times
Quote:
Ok...and?
The mills will still exist even after a pet store ban.
If they shut down,wouldn't they just dispose of the animals themselves?
Or just dump them at the nearest shelter?

So a pet store ban will accomplish ,what,exactly?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:31 PM

But then again I'm of the small minority of people who think all breeding should stop until rescues are empty or if you do breed you become a COE breeder, anyone curious look it up they breed dogs according to ethic, i.e health certs, and working titles.

Especially for the working breeds breeding should be very strict. There are far too many rotties , my breed of choice with weak nerves and bad hips that cant even do work that was designed for them simply because they werent bred properly.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:49 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Ok...and?
The mills will still exist even after a pet store ban.
If they shut down,wouldn't they just dispose of the animals themselves?
Or just dump them at the nearest shelter?

So a pet store ban will accomplish ,what,exactly?
If the sale of live animals at pet stores is banned, the mills will lose their customer base. Better yet, if mills are banned, these dogs won't be forced to breed litter after litter and shelters won't be so overcrowded. We can ream, can't we?

Here are some great links regarding puppy mills.

Dog-Play: The Pet Shop Owner's Thanks

How to kill a shelter dog | Ruffly Speaking (Cardigan Welsh Corgis, rescue dogs, and bossiness galore) (http://blacksheepcardigans.com/ruff/?p=3452 - broken link)

Backyard Breeder vs Reputable Breeder

Breeder Vs Shelter/Rescue (http://thebarkingdog.dutchbingo.net/breeder.htm - broken link)

Old 07-16-2010, 01:09 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,724 times
Quote:
No,I'm not kidding.

"Strict regulations"? No. Let me give you an example...the only pet store here that still sells dogs & cats is Petland. I didn't know they sold animals until I went there, and if you could see the way these animals were kept, you would be eating your own words right now. An emaciated lab puppy (ribs showing) was in a small cage eating his own feces...when I told the girl behind the counter about it, she rolled her eyes at me and said "Yeah, I'll get to that in a minute" and by the time she got to it, the puppy had eaten the whole pile of poop! The other puppies were just laying there in their cages, not playing, obviously miserable, and none of them looked healthy. Oh yeah, and there was also a parrot with a broken beak.

"Animal Mills" exist to make profit without having to invest too much time, money, or energy on the animals they breed. Pet stores are their main venue for sales, so making it illegal to use that venue will cut their profits immensely...yes, many will try to go the route of internet/newspapers, but it will force them to put much more effort (and $) into the whole operation, and hopefully will dissuade many of them from continuing to breed.
BYBs are also a problem, and harder to put the finger on...making it illegal for unlicensed breeders to advertise the sale of animals is what I hope to see happen eventually. IMO the only people who should be breeding are licensed breeders who adhere to strict guidelines and are inspected on a regular basis. I don't want to see pure breeds disappear, so I am not "anti-breeding", I just think there's a safe and humane way to go about it, and mills are notorious for UNsafe and INhumane practices.

As for the shelters and their policies, I have to agree they can go overboard at times...but there are thousands of people in this country that are NOT responsible pet owners, and they have unfortunately given all of us a bad name, which is why this pickiness exists to the extent it does today. There are so many strays in my area I've never had to go to a shelter or breeder, I have a houseful of animals that were "dumped" for whatever reason...I foster regularly...the animals COME to me, so when people say things like "Mills exist to fill a need" I can't even take it seriously. Unwanted animals are everywhere if you just open your eyes and look.

Last edited by luvmycat; 07-16-2010 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 07-16-2010, 01:15 PM

75 posts, read 197,435 times
There are "guidelines" to follow at pet stores, sure. But even if you treat them AMAZING at the store, if you're still getting them from an animal mill, you're taking a chance at getting a poorly treated, possibly very unhealthy animal. Bad breeding, inbreeding, these things cause health problems and ones that can't always be seen until the dog has grown.

And "animal mills exist for a need"...? What need is that? Do you NEED a purebred "teacup" chihuahua? Do you know they breed them to be little, and that they aren't another "type" of chihuahua? They often come with bad immune systems, more joint issues, general fragility because of their small bones. I got my purebred chihuahua from the shelter. Someone dumped her off cause they didn't want her anymore... If you NEED a dog you should adopt, or rescue, not support the overpopulation of dogs due to things like puppy mills and constant breeding to create money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs