Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 05:52 AM

3 posts, read 2,317 times

Advertisements

I have used it according to dosage charts. i guess we should put a disclaimer to the people incapable of division. Common sense is as follows folks SAME DRUG SAME STUFF same amazing world full of ignorant, uneducated or I'm sorry stuck in your ways kind of people who can never be proved wrong. go ahead and waste your $$ and I will save mine by doing some simple elementary level division. geez and im from West Virginia i wear shoes and have all my teeth and use frontline/advantage for large dogs on my small dog and cats. and they all have lived long happy flea free lives. no offence this is my opinion.

thank you
have a good day
the wv boy
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 07:30 PM

1,683 posts, read 811,175 times
Frontline is no longer effective in many part of Tennessee and presumably also some parts of Kentucky. The fleas have gotten resistant to it or whatever. That's the word on the streets anyway.

K9 Advantix-II is what we switched to for our dog. It seems to work really well.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:37 PM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
To save money my vet once had me buy the large frontline and use a syringe and needle to extract the amount I needed for my cats. It saved me a significant amount of money.

Call your vet to get the correct dosage and a needle and syringe.

Oops, I see this has been addressed already. Well, okay add one more to the group that has used Frontline in this manner.
I do the same thing with Ivermectin for heartworm prevention. I buy it premixed for $25, use a syringe and put the correct dose on a piece of raw hamburger. That's enough for 3 or 4 years for my two large dogs whereas heartgard would cost me about $840 for three years for both dogs.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:39 PM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeHoyal View Post
Frontline is no longer effective in many part of Tennessee and presumably also some parts of Kentucky. The fleas have gotten resistant to it or whatever. That's the word on the streets anyway.

K9 Advantix-II is what we switched to for our dog. It seems to work really well.
I'm in Northern California and neither Advantix II or Frontline works here now. I'm using Seresto Collars on both dogs and it's the best thing I've ever used for fleas

Old 06-15-2018, 03:47 PM

3,800 posts, read 2,995,173 times
Breaking up a large Frontline should be ok, the drug should be equally dispersed through the liquid.
Most drugs btw have a fairly high safety margin, up to 10X the dose in most cases.
Whether Frontline Spot on's is still effective for fleas and/or ticks is another thing.
I don't live in a tick area, but use Frontline Spray when we go to the coastal areas, and it is better for fleas as well.
Advantage/ Advantix definitely is probably better than Frontline Spot ons now for fleas and ticks in dogs, but Advantix is toxic in cats. (I have seen this toxicity)
The OP is from back in 2010, but even before that fleas were becoming resistant to Frontline, esp the Spot ons.
We mainly use Sentinel for heartworm prevention and flea control, which is an old product.
FWIW I am a registered but no longer practicing Vet in Oz.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 666 times
You cannot use Frontline for dogs on cats.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
My good friend's dog recently passed away, and she has no use for her large dog Frontline. I would like to take this as it would be a big help, but I don't want to hurt my dog. The medication is for dogs 45-88 lbs and my dog is 30 lbs. Do you know if I could just use less of it for her?
It baffles me how judgmental people are and they don’t want to use their brain! Just like the other person a couple of answers down said, frontline as fron line! They just package it differently and make you buy smaller amounts because if you just bought one thing for large dogs and used it three or four times on little dogs, how are they going to make their money! It’s so easy to be judgmental and bitchy and so much more difficult to use your own judgment and not shame people for actually doing what they couldn’t: use their own brain! You can absolutely give your small dog about a third of the amount! Don’t pay any mind to the brainless busy bodies who are accusing you of poisoning your dog! and kudos for using the gray matter efficiently!

Old 06-27-2020, 12:14 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,609 times
Yes it is safe to use it on your small dog. You will need to get a small 1 or 2 ml syringe to measure the proper dosage. many people buy the larger packages and split them up to save costs and there is nothing wrong with doing that. Just follow the correct dosage by weight. Someone posted that information above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs