Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:25 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,778,340 times

Advertisements

Well my girl is in her second heat as of this morning so I made the appointment at the vets for Monday at 8:30. They keep her overnight which I'm not real thrillled about. Why is it better for her to be there overnight when noone will be there?

Anyway, I do trust my vets judgement and this ain't his first rodeo.

I have to tell you thou......I'm nerves. I've never had a girl before and my last boy Ben couldn't be fixed because of his heart. I know I'm being silly but I can't help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
I can understand your anxiety, J.

My friend who has a yellow boy Lab and a black girl Lab brought each of them home the evening after they were done. No overnight stay. If you're really upset about it, speak with your vet again.

As for the surgery itself, both of them had NO problems. They didn't wear their "cone of shame" either. And they wanted to play as soon as they got home. They were incredible, like nothing happened.

Bella will be fine. I know she will. It's YOU that I'm worried about. xo

Old 11-05-2010, 12:44 PM

You are so sweet Dawn. No more burn ban here so we will be very busy cleaning up the yard this weekend. Miss Bella loves to be out in the yard with Momma so it will be good for her also.

Bella does lick so I'm afraid she will probably have to wear the cone. Being a mom sucks sometimes with all the worry. LOL Too bad I'm not an irresponsable owner then I just wouldn't have her fixed. OMG could you imagine me if she got pregnent???? I'd be a wreck. Off to the vet we will go.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:45 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,515,163 times
Jessie as long as she is in good health everthing should be fine. I agree with Dawn check with the vet maybe after she comes out of anesthetic ok you can go ahead and take her home. Even if she has to stay overnight she will be fine.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,451 times
My Bella had to stay over night to be monitored but Buster didn't. They say spaying is more of an invasive surgery than neutering and that is why the keep females over night.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:00 PM

417 posts, read 1,068,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Well my girl is in her second heat as of this morning so I made the appointment at the vets for Monday at 8:30. They keep her overnight which I'm not real thrillled about. Why is it better for her to be there overnight when noone will be there?

Anyway, I do trust my vets judgement and this ain't his first rodeo.

I have to tell you thou......I'm nerves. I've never had a girl before and my last boy Ben couldn't be fixed because of his heart. I know I'm being silly but I can't help it.

I hope Bella's spaying goes smoothly...we're taking Sydney to get neutered on Sunday but we can bring him home at around 5:00 or 6:00..even though these are routine surgeries...I'm right there with you on the nerves. I will be a wreck until he is back in my arms and then next week, phew...I am going to be quite the overprotective mama until he's fully healed

He was supposed to get neutered about a month ago but the day before he got an upper respiratory infection so I cancelled...I think he knew and faked it

Old 11-05-2010, 02:19 PM

5 posts, read 12,093 times
I've had quite a few females, none of which stayed overnight. Does she have any underlying medical conditions the vet may be concerned about?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
My McGee (Yellow lab/coyote) was picked up the late afternoon of the same day she had her operation. Maybe this overnight stuff is what they do nowadays. McGee's spaying was in 1980. All my other girls since then have already been spayed prior to joining the family.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:01 AM

I brought her in this morning. They should be doing it soon.

They have three reasons for keeping her overnight. One is that they can make sure that the dog is quiet for the first 24 hours. Two they can check the incision the next morning and three they give her a shot of antibiotic that morning.

I really am glad I am finally doing this. Just dealing with the diaper for three days was enough!!!! We were outside most of the day Saturday so she had fun AND no diaper needed outside. Here is a picture of her in the backyard. We had a bonfire and DD made smores. In one pic Bella is trying to steal the marshmellow stick.
Attached Thumbnails
Bella is in heat again so I made the appointment-bella-november-6-2010-007.jpg   Bella is in heat again so I made the appointment-bella-november-6-2010-014.jpg  

Old 11-08-2010, 10:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Awwww.

I'll be thinking of you and Bella until you can bring your girl home again tomorrow. I'm sure that everything will go just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs