Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 02:15 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times

Advertisements

Starla Jane, I don't feel the FDA gives a hoot about about what's brought into this country either. Between toys and clothing for my young grandchildren and having four dogs, it's almost a full time job protecting them from "made in China" stuff..and I can't stop there. The product may say assembled or made in the USA, but further digging is required to see where the actual parts/ingredients came from.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 05:47 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
TST - Thank you for the info on Shea's.

I'll be ordering some soon.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 7,552 times
I bought the chicken meatballs made in China. Within two weeks of using the product, my dog is now very sick! While I can't prove causality at this point, I'll never use their products again.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:56 AM

I sent an email to Milo's Kitchen, [DelMonte Foods] expressing my disappoi ntment regarding the said product which was made in China and this was their reply:

Milo’s Kitchen Chicken Jerky is made with high-quality chicken breasts. Unlike the U.S., the chicken breast isn’t commonly used in Chinese cuisine, making it readily available and an ideal ingredient for chicken jerky sold in the U.S. Our manufacturing partner in China was selected after extensive review and is approved and is certified by the British Retail Consortium (BRC) against the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) standards. We can assure you the same Good Manufacturing Practices required in our human food plants worldwide are followed at this facility.

Where are Milo’s Kitchen™ products made?

Three of the Milo’s Kitchen™ varieties — Beef Jerky, Chicken Meatballs, and Beef Sausage Slices with Rice — are made in the U.S. The Chicken Jerky variety is made at a facility in China.

I thought I would put this out for others to read and decide for themselves whether or not they would still be likely to purchase said item.
Regardless of whether they [DelMonte] can say that these chicken jerky, are safe for consumption or not, I think that the "Made in China" label still speaks volumes. The fact that the Milo's Kitchen product treats, 1 out of 4 in total, was not "Made in the USA" kind of bothers me. Why they couldn't make all of their products in the USA, is beyond me. That's why I wanted to put it out to make others aware of that fact.

Last edited by cat1116; 06-27-2011 at 06:34 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
For whatever reason, getting chicken-based dog food products from China is popular among dog food companies. Thank heavens you read the label and didn't just assume.

I don't blame the pet stores, I blame the FDA; they are the ones who are supposed to be monitoring the safety of products being brought into and/or sold in our country.

If the pet stores say they really care about the dogs, then why buy something that they know has harmed/killed many dogs?

This is probably why: $$$$. I just won't buy those food products that say "made in China". If enough people choose to do the same thing, then eventually they would quit accepting said products into their stores because they know that they'll lose money on it.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,431 times
do you realize that milo kitchen products cost more than $1 an ounce. That is more than $16 a pound. You can buy porterhouse steak for $7 a pound and feed the dog steak at half the price.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Country of origin aside, the ingredients in this are crap and not worth a penny to buy! This is the meatball formula:

Chicken, Soy Grits, Beef, Sugar, Glycerine, Textured Vegetable Protein, Salt, Monoglyceride, Garlic Powder, Natural Flavor, Sorbic Acid (used as a preservative), BHA (used as a preservative), Onion Extract

It's all fillers and preservatives, no wonder dogs in this country have so many health issues. And onion extract? It's a cumulative toxin, meaning it will take some time to do damage but why take that chance? We make 100% of the treats our dogs consume, using human-grade ingredients. They love 'em, we know what goes into them, and they are made fresh every week.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We make 100% of the treats our dogs consume, using human-grade ingredients. They love 'em, we know what goes into them, and they are made fresh every week.
Recipes please. Thank you in advance.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:29 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Recipes please. Thank you in advance.
For biscuits, we use this one and it's a huge hit. We don't decorate them, just use a bone-shaped cookie cutter.

Birthday Bones Recipe - Allrecipes.com

We recently purchased a cookbook and have been making 90% of the dog food at home, using stuff from the farmers market (grass-fed meat, local produce, etc.) and it's been a huge hit. The changes in coat and general appearance are amazing, we had no idea it would be that noticeable so quickly.

This book has a ton of treat recipes. The last one we made were liver brownies and by far the biggest treat hit in this house so far! This book is awesome, because they tell you how many calories your dog needs based on size/activity level and each recipe has the calorie content listed.

The Healthy Dog Cookbook: 50 Nutritious & Delicious Recipies Your Dog Will Love

Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
For biscuits, we use this one and it's a huge hit. We don't decorate them, just use a bone-shaped cookie cutter.

Birthday Bones Recipe - Allrecipes.com

We recently purchased a cookbook and have been making 90% of the dog food at home, using stuff from the farmers market (grass-fed meat, local produce, etc.) and it's been a huge hit. The changes in coat and general appearance are amazing, we had no idea it would be that noticeable so quickly.

This book has a ton of treat recipes. The last one we made were liver brownies and by far the biggest treat hit in this house so far! This book is awesome, because they tell you how many calories your dog needs based on size/activity level and each recipe has the calorie content listed.

The Healthy Dog Cookbook: 50 Nutritious & Delicious Recipies Your Dog Will Love
Thanks. I will get two copies of the cookbook. Once for me and one for my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs