Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 02:59 PM

48,116 posts, read 21,997,640 times

Advertisements

Breeders who give breeders a bad name.

When I was a kid I got a puppy for xmas. It was a last min. decision by my parents because they knew the only thing I really wanted was a puppy....and they had resisted...but on the day before xmas....they weakened and started calling around to find a dog for me. They weren't having any luck but called a vet for suggestions. He told my father....."I am doing the saddest thing I have ever had to do ..... I have a beautiful littler of cocker spaniel puppies.......their mother is a champion .... but the father is not the choice of the breeder.....a cocker spaniel but not the one they intended.....So the owner gave me strict orders to euthanize all the puppies as soon as they were born."

Something about protecting the blood line. The dogs had no genetic problems...the problem was the value of the mother and her progeny at least that was what we understood. I was a kid so didnt really get it .... at the time. (1950's)

He said the pups were less than 24 hours old....BUT agreed if my Dad came right over he would give him an eye dropper and formula and teach him how to care for the poor little pup. So I got "Tiny Tim" for Christmas......and he survived and grew up to be an absolutely beautiful dog....with lovely long ears and a lovely black and white wavy coat.

The story doesnt have a happy ending however.....Tim was stolen out of our back yard...a year or so later and we never were able to locate him.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,875 times
yes

Old 10-29-2012, 05:26 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I hate to disagree with you, but she is not the reason dogs are dying in shelters across America. As many years as people have been brainwashed to spay neuter, because there is a pet overpopulation, I realize it will take several years to change that way of thinking.

As hard as it is to believe, we need to have people breed their dogs. Unfortunately, dogs die. They get old the they die. They get sick and they die. Where will we get our next generations of dogs?

Do you realize how many dogs are bred by responsible breeders all across the country? There are hundreds of breeds of dogs and mixes in this country. Most of those breeds NEVER end up in a shelter. Look at all the dogs bred by irresponsible puppy mills, cute little Maltese and so many other toy breeds, the shelters are not full of these "over bred puppy mill breeds" either. What happens to them?

So, how is it that this person, who bred her dog and she homed the 8 puppies to responsible people who will keep the dog for the life of the dog and make sure it never goes to a shelter, how is she contributing to the dogs dieing in shelters?? Please, I would like to know.

Where do dogs in shelters come from?? Identify the source of the problem. We can stop breeding till we have no more dogs able to breed. The shelter will still have dogs that will have to die. I wish it was not that way. But really, somebody needs to breed. Her 8 puppies are not the problem.
When we no longer have millions of dogs and cats in shelters across the country, then we can discuss "reputable" breeding and the need for a "new generation".

Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
I hate to disagree with you, but she is not the reason dogs are dying in shelters across America. As many years as people have been brainwashed to spay neuter, because there is a pet overpopulation, I realize it will take several years to change that way of thinking.

As hard as it is to believe, we need to have people breed their dogs. Unfortunately, dogs die. They get old the they die. They get sick and they die. Where will we get our next generations of dogs?

Do you realize how many dogs are bred by responsible breeders all across the country? There are hundreds of breeds of dogs and mixes in this country. Most of those breeds NEVER end up in a shelter. Look at all the dogs bred by irresponsible puppy mills, cute little Maltese and so many other toy breeds, the shelters are not full of these "over bred puppy mill breeds" either. What happens to them?

So, how is it that this person, who bred her dog and she homed the 8 puppies to responsible people who will keep the dog for the life of the dog and make sure it never goes to a shelter, how is she contributing to the dogs dieing in shelters?? Please, I would like to know.

Where do dogs in shelters come from?? Identify the source of the problem. We can stop breeding till we have no more dogs able to breed. The shelter will still have dogs that will have to die. I wish it was not that way. But really, somebody needs to breed. Her 8 puppies are not the problem.

I think your way of thinking is a little skewed..

Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,011 times
Quote:
Your moniker is SoCalPitGal so you must know how many pits are euthanized at shelters. Imagine if there were suddenly no more pits being bred (temporarily), anyone wanting a pit would go to their local shelter and thus fewer pits would be euthanized.

Should be crystal clear now.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Quote:
Most of those breeds NEVER end up in a shelter. Look at all the dogs bred by irresponsible puppy mills, cute little Maltese and so many other toy breeds, the shelters are not full of these "over bred puppy mill breeds" either. What happens to them?
Here's what happens to the lucky abandoned Maltese and other little breeds. The rescue groups really help. But for every dog from a breeder one dies in a pound.

I got a 9# ball of fluff from a pound. She may have been part Maltese. I found another one on a road at the edge of the Navajo Indian Reservation in Utah. She weighed 5# and was covered with ticks, starved, and was at the point of not eating. The hair on her tail had fallen out. Her teeth were black. I thought she was colored gray. She weighed 9# when she recovered. It turned out she was white with a few brown patches.

My pound fluffball was for my parents. Their dog, the dog of my late boyhood, had died three ywars earlier and they swore they'd never get another dog. My mother couldn't talk to anyone for a week after he died at age 16. Three years later my mother was dying of cancer and depressed. She'd often talk of our dog whom she still missed. At first she told me she couldn't take care of a dog but I told her and my father that she seemed to be house trained and was very sweet. The doctors had given my mother a few months at best. But she lived two years. That little dog from the pound was responsible; she always lay against my mother; she was her constant companion. My mother found a spark of happiness. After my mother died she was the only spark of joy for my father.

Here's what I got from a metasearch for Maltese rescue. There are plenty more in pounds When a breeder produces a litter of five there will be five dead pound dogs. Please don't buy a dog or cat from a breeder.

"maltese rescue" - Dogpile Web Search=

Old 10-29-2012, 06:49 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,376 times
No, I don't get it. Really, could you answer a few questions for me, help me to understand, I am willing to see things from another point of view, show me it is the better view point to have. I don't think I am being unreasonable in requesting this.

!)For those who have a bunch of stray dogs roaming the streets, how is a mandatory spay/neuter going to prevent these dogs from breeding?

Are your streets full of puppies or adult dogs? Do you have all breeds stray on the streets, just a few popular breeds?

2)Where do the majority of the dogs in your shelters come from? What are the average age of the dogs that come into shelters?

3)If there is a pet overpopulation, how do puppy mills sell all those dogs? Why is dog smuggling becoming a big business if there is an overpopulation, people would not buy dogs.

4)Do you REALLY think that is somebody wants a German Shepherd puppy that they will settle for an adult Pitbull from the shelter? You really think that by restricting breeding you can force people to get a dog from the shelter?

5)Do you REALLY think that taking away our right to choose if we want our animal spay/neutered is going to keep any dogs from dying in a shelter? How many YEARS have we been told, spay/neuter, spay/neuter. As long as I can remember. How many dogs still die in shelters? The spay/neuter idea is not working, ya know why? Because that is not the problem.

Please, I look forward to your responses, I am open to changing my view points. Please help me understand how mandatory spay/neuter is the answer.

Oh, first, we should identify the problem, to make sure we are all working on the same problem. The problem is perfectly healthy dogs, from puppy to seniors, who are adoptable animals are being killed in shelters. That is what we are addressing, right?

Old 10-29-2012, 06:53 PM

207 posts, read 535,562 times
What is the harm of breeding dogs? I would prefer a dog from a breeder than an animal shelter so I wouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on the pup

Old 10-29-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Here's what happens to the lucky abandoned Maltese and other little breeds. The rescue groups really help. But for every dog from a breeder one dies in a pound.

I got a 9# ball of fluff from a pound. She may have been part Maltese. I found another one on a road at the edge of the Navajo Indian Reservation in Utah. She weighed 5# and was covered with ticks, starved, and was at the point of not eating. The hair on her tail had fallen out. Her teeth were black. I thought she was colored gray. She weighed 9# when she recovered. It turned out she was white with a few brown patches.

My pound fluffball was for my parents. Their dog, the dog of my late boyhood, had died three ywars earlier and they swore they'd never get another dog. My mother couldn't talk to anyone for a week after he died at age 16. Three years later my mother was dying of cancer and depressed. She'd often talk of our dog whom she still missed. At first she told me she couldn't take care of a dog but I told her and my father that she seemed to be house trained and was very sweet. The doctors had given my mother a few months at best. But she lived two years. That little dog from the pound was responsible; she always lay against my mother; she was her constant companion. My mother found a spark of happiness. After my mother died she was the only spark of joy for my father.

Here's what I got from a metasearch for Maltese rescue. There are plenty more in pounds When a breeder produces a litter of five there will be five dead pound dogs. Please don't buy a dog or cat from a breeder.

"maltese rescue" - Dogpile Web Search=

While I agree with you 110%, don't buy a dog from a breeder. I do not think that mandatory spay/neuter is the answer to the problem. I agree that a dog should not be a last minute decision and that people should be willing to call rescues and find the breed they want, they should be willing to wait for a puppy. I totally agree that people should go to rescues and shelters to get their animals.

Even if somehow every dog is spay/neutered and all the breeders and puppy mills were no longer in business, guess what, there will still be dogs dying in shelters. The dog population is not the problem. People are the problem. As long as people view animals as throw away items, they will take them to the shelters. I feel that there should be restrictions in breeding, to keep the breeds separate and in good health, no defects. We are going to end up with a bunch of mutts if we keep going the way we are.

I am not saying I agree with the breeding that is going on, but let's face it, we can not spay/neuter every dog to try to empty the shelters, gene pools have to be maintained. Sure, we could just get sperm and eggs and freeze them, till the shelters are empty. The shelters will never be empty.

People need to get a dog with the understanding that they need to love and care for the dog for the entire life of the dog. They are not throw away.

But hey, this will never happen, people move, they loose their job, they have children, the dog bit the neighbor, ate the shoe, no time for it, barks too much, as long as people think all the reasons I just mentioned are reasons to get rid of the dog, dogs will be in shelters, dumped on the streets and unfortunately, they will die.

In my opinion, this is a people lack of responsibility problem, not a dog population problem.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Your moniker is SoCalPitGal so you must know how many pits are euthanized at shelters. Imagine if there were suddenly no more pits being bred (temporarily), anyone wanting a pit would go to their local shelter and thus fewer pits would be euthanized.

Should be crystal clear now.
People are buying all breeds of dogs, the shelters are full of pits. Of course, I would go to a shelter anyway. When my old boy passes, I will most likely just foster.

Don't you think that fewer pits would be euthanized if, um, well, if they never ended up in the shelter in the first place??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs