Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
"dog-dumpers"? Do you know the background of all of the people who surrender their dogs to this rescue?

Sorry, I was with you until I saw that phrase. So, no, the answer to your question is that we cannot all agree on this (or at least the way it's presented).
You're right and I stand corrected. There are some people with legitimate reasons to rehome their pet.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
You're right and I stand corrected. There are some people with legitimate reasons to rehome their pet.
Ok then, I'm now with you.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Ok then, I'm now with you.
Thanks. I'm just a little revved up about people and their treatment of animals right now. My neighbor's dog is outside their gate for the 3rd time this week. They're not home and he is trying to get back in. Won't let me approach him. Grrr, these people!! (I'll have a little chat with them tomorrow).

Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:
Thanks. I'm just a little revved up about people and their treatment of animals right now. My neighbor's dog is outside their gate for the 3rd time this week. They're not home and he is trying to get back in. Won't let me approach him. Grrr, these people!! (I'll have a little chat with them tomorrow).
Oh geez. I'm a little riled up now because my parents have been without their dog for about 3 months due to economic circumstances. It's become an issue of "we can have a roof over our head without a dog" versus "we can have the dog and have the same sleepless nights that we had for the past two years". My mom cries every time she speaks about it.

So, yeah, we're good.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I have never bought a pure bred dog...but if I did....I would spend the time to find a reputable one.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 PM

482 posts, read 874,819 times
We should agree to disagree. No one agrees entirely with anyone else on this issue and I think we're past changing eachothers' minds.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
At the local shelter, I went to visit a couple cats I found wandering around our neighborhood (the owners moved and left her). There were many designer pups: yorkies, sheetzus, poms, along with the pitbull mixes -which were PLENTIFUL- and sad to see (most were barely three years old). All owner rendered. Sudden owner allergies was the reason given most.

There were MANY, MANY dogs in the cages that were healing from getting fixed - most owners render their pets w/o getting them fixed.

Something must be done. It is out of control. Until the shelters can AFFORD to care for these throw away pets --- NO MORE BREEDING. NO MORE. Whether you love the breed or not - NO MORE. Until these shelters are caring for strays or lost pets NOT PETS PEOPLE THROW AWAY (damnit). For it is known they go out to their local petland store and buy ANOTHER puppy that will grow up - pee on a rug and find themselves in a shelter.

STOP ALL BREEDING in order to keep up with the mistakes from irresponsible owners that are in shelters now.

Just my opinion. But I volunteer at our shelter. I have two dogs no one wanted after awhile and found themselves in cages. They took a little longer to train...and a bred yorkie that replaced a yorkie killed by a neighbor's "rescued" greyhound. (Had there been a ban, I would have adopted another throwaway too)

I was a yorkie rescue/foster too. The nightmares were unreal with over breeding.

It must stop for awhile. There are just too many dogs.
I am telling you all, THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN STOP DOG BREEDING. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH MAN POWER TO ENFORCE SUCH A LAW OR RESTRICTION. Do you know what breeding restrictions and banning will do? Force people to go underground for one. How many puppy mills do you think are actually licensed? The number of dogs smuggled into the country to meet demand will sky rocket.

Well that sounds okay, right, we can save dogs from other countries rather then breed more here in America.

Just remember one thing. IT IS ALWAYS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

I always wondered why in the world do they spay/neuter the dogs then euthanize them? Because it generates money?

It generates money for the Vets who offer the low cost spay/neuter, I think the rendering plants must pay for the animals they pick up.

I am not saying spay/neuter is bad or not to do it. I am just saying, it will not solve the problem.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Love of a breed isn't love of a dog.

Animals die in shelters and pounds when there's no place for them to go. It doesn't matter what their origin is. I can't believe that breeders care if an animal dies in a shelter. If they did they'd convert their kennel space to rescues. Breeders produce dogs knowing fully well that there are too many dogs for available homes. But they want either money or what they consider prestige.

Gun control doesn't stop or reduce murder but the availability of abortion almost certainly has. It caused a drop in irresponsible breeding. But animals have it far worse than humans. People no longer drop off their children at orphanages, once a common practice. Some parents once just abandoned them. Now these practices are socially unacceptable. Will it take another century before people decide it's socially unacceptable to treat animals this way?

This is right on the nose. This is what the problem is. Too many people feel it is acceptable to abandon an animal or abuse it. I am not trying to be mean to other cultures, but there are many cultures of people living in this country. Many other countries and the cultures feel it is okay to abuse animals, raise them for fur, eat them, farm them, starve them, these things are all okay in other cultures and societies.

Then these people come to live in America and guess what, they bring those beliefs and ways of treating animals with them. This is why I say, we need to create an aggressive educating of the children in America. Teach them that it is not okay to dump a dog at the shelter, it is a big responsibility. Children are not learning at home, when the parents do not feel that way.

We need to reach out to our society, let them know what is acceptable and what is not here in this country. We do it through the children.

We can spay and neuter till no more animals can breed. The number of shelter deaths will eventually fall, so will the total dog population. Until people change the way they feel about animals, the shelters will remain full of animals that run out of time based on the "over population" until there are zero population.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
What really makes me cringe are Craigslist ads that say that the dog is "pure bread" instead of "pure bred." Listen, I like a loaf of rye as much as the next gal, but...
Can't rep you again, but your so funny.

I would like some of that shelter sour dough mix.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
There are far too many people in the breeding business, thus giving the reputable ones a bad rap.

Check out these two links:

A GSD rescue group which is at capacity and is turning would-be dog dumpers away daily:
German Shepherd Rescue | Southern California German Shepherd Rescue Burbank

And then go to CL and search for German Shepherd Puppies
los angeles pets classifieds - craigslist

I agree that too many people are in the breeding business. How do they stay in business?

They must be making money, or so many people would not do it. If people did not want the dogs, these breeders would go out of business. Let's advocate to call rescues, search shelters, advocate to be sure you can keep and love your dog for it's entire life, before buying the dog. Let's preach about how bad it is to buy a dog from an on line web site... we need to teach new habits and set new standards for the people who keep the breeders in business, the consumer.

To blame the breeders for dogs killed in shelters is like saying the pencil wrote the wrong answer on the test. As long as there is demand from the consumers, breeders will keep breeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs