Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,893 times

Advertisements

So many people I want to rep....sigh.

Snofarmer, your doing a great service to the breed. I wish the KC here would follow the same procedures as our friends across the pond.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
pure bread dog----oops I mean in bread dog.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,179,145 times
We'll see. keep am eye on the pic forum.
I don't post up pics of Schutzhund work.
maybe a glamor shot, (stacked) or one with the grandkid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dang. Now I really want one of Snofarmer's dogs.
Except I am a collie enthusiast.

You and I come from different places. The farm I work/help out on is not far from a town. People seem to think it's ok to dump their cats.
We get over run with feral cats.
On the farm or any farm, you don't call the shelter nor does the shelter really want to go to every farm and round up feral cats.
Some cats make it for a while others die" natural selection" and some are removed from existence.
Things are done a little different on the farm.
There is life and death.

If you are feeding feral cats you are part of the feral cat problem.
Sooner or latter someone has to wake up and see some reality and take care of the problem.
we also have had pet cats.

Now for those pups, yes, I have been on both sides of this
and when I think with my brain, for the betterment of the breed,
I agree with the breed warden.
We made a commitment to the breed and with that there are rules and standards and some are hard to uphold.

A pup from the best comes with a price.
Now if you don't want 1 or 2, (yea some people buy 2 at a time)
We also have pups from some very very good Dogs that start at $800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Those are cold and mercenary words. But for him it's a business.

When it's not a business deal it's apparently a joke. The following thread is on the Cats subforum about feral cats dying in the flood waters in the labyrinth under New York City. That area extends for miles and is more than a hundred feet deep in large sections of it; there must have been thousands or even tens of thousands of deaths.

Breeders sell animals for over a thousand dollars. If a rescue group had stolen those "defective" puppies I'd happily give them a thousand dollar donation for one; I'd do the same for a suffering feral cat. And I know I'm not the only one on this forum who would.

When you own and work with and own some of the best in North America some people will like you and some will do whatever they can do to try to take you down.

Those dogs used for this or that ie movies, work, service shows that the dogs have a brain and are of sound temperament.

I can not control how anyone treats their dog this is true.
But when you have an expensive tool you don't leave it out in the rain.
You don't give away the best GSD's found in north America.
My citing what our dogs have accomplished and are used this is showing their abilities, brains, critical thinking, and athletic abilities and they they are sought after by many for many different things

You seen to for get that I have no problem if you get your animals from the shelter or not.

If you had some of the best animals found in north America or the world would you give them away?
Sure some of it is luck but most of it comes from a lifetime of commitment.
It is a 24/7 commitment and an investment.
When you have a female GSD that is ranked V6 and a ScHhIII kkl1a who's progeny has gone on to become Schutzhunds.
When your dog is valued by others to be worth well over 100k.
Give me a call.

Attitude, yup, and so do all of you.

It's about time some of you realize that without money none of this happens.
You see I just didn't go out and buy 2 dogs and breed them.
WE WORK them. We take a pup and work with it, to be the best it can be.
OUR DOGS are serving MAN. They are working on police forces, they are service dogs. They are prized possessions.

As I said the dog world is full of crazy people with a few sane folks thrown in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
You know, I was pretty much agreeing with you until I read this.

You breed dogs, put your heart in it, and work for the "betterment of the breed". That's great. But, to take this pretentious attitude?

My dog (and cat) were free. Found on the street. Frankly, I want to die and come back as either of them. I dare say that they are probably treated better than a lot of the dogs that you have sold. That may be just me...but I don't think so.

Just about everyone I have known in my life has treated their animals like gold, no matter if they paid $2000.00 for them, or got them free.

You seem to equate dollar amount spent to "worth" of the animal, and that's just sad to me. I shook my head after reading what you said about the cats in the NY subways. "Natural selection"? Really? My cat found me 12 years ago by crawling into the engine block of my car. I still shudder when I think of what may have happened to his littermates. Turns out he was probably the luckiest kitten in the city by choosing my car. He was lucky, his littermates might not have been. They may have been caught up in a rainstorm or hit by a car. Is that "natural selection"? No, it's not. It's people not being responsible pet owners.

I have no problems at all with people choosing to purchase a dog from a "responsible breeder". What I do have a problem with is the attitude that sometimes comes in that arena.

And, that's fabulous. I know people who would probably love to get a dog from you, just so they can quote this when people ask where they got their dog from. These are also people who will absolutely *kill* to get a reservation at the hippest restaurant, or would pay through the nose to be at a fundraiser just so they can get a photo with X,Y or Z politician. They'd give you some pretty good referrals too.

But, you know what? These people are no "better" animal owners than those who would go to a shelter to get their pet.

If you can finagle someone to pay 8 grand for one of your animals, more power to you. From my perspective though, once the price becomes that high, it has become an issue of monetary gain, pure and simple.
Nor would I, and I'm not even a "breeder".

Thank you,
For a while I thought you were a hater too.
I was wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
So many people I want to rep....sigh.
Snofarmer, your doing a great service to the breed. I wish the KC here would follow the same procedures as our friends across the pond.

Last edited by snofarmer; 11-02-2012 at 09:57 AM..

Old 11-02-2012, 12:59 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

Thank you,
For a while I thought you were a hater too.
I was wrong.
What??? NEVER.....Unlike some I do recognize the difference between a reputable breeder and a BYB. Which my numerous post(s) on this thread demonstrates. Think I managed to turn on a few bulbs.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 AM

Moma is loosing hair on her belly, tets are getting bigger, she is getting more cuddly, looking around for a den, her temp is down to 100.0 this am. a couple of more days.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 AM

172 posts, read 252,084 times
I've volunteered at an animal shelter & it is absolutely heartbreaking to see all the wonderful animals who are put to sleep for no other reason than there aren't enough homes for them. I've seen animals who are young & healthy & full of love to give get put to sleep. Why? Becausee there are only so many homes available.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:36 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,482,772 times
I see it like this---it's like we are the equivalent of a family. If a family already has more kids than it can care for, should it have more? NO. Not until the situation is improved.

I lived in Sweden and Finland for a while in the 80s and never did see a stray animal. Nearly everyone got their dogs from breeders which I'm totally fine with because with few exception that was the only place were one could get a dog. Those who wanted to rescue a dog brought one home with them from Spain or Italy while they were on vacation.

Yes, some breeding is needed to get specific traits for police dogs, etc (although many shelter rescues move on to become therapy dogs, drug sniffers, etc) but until we can get a handle on the homeless pet population in this country, we can certainly do without the volume of breeding going on right now.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 AM

What regulations does Sweden have concerning breeders?

Not just "police dogs" which are made up of several breeds that are used.

As with any breed of dog breeding insures the blood line.

Lets stop people from breeding there MUTS.
or people who breed and have no way of selling them and just intend on dumping them at a shelter as their remedy.
Out of site, problem solved.

but sno both fluffy and spike are akc reg.
so what!
Why breed them?
They are cute dogs and it will teach the kids a life lesson
or they are soo cute why not

Licensed reputable breeders in my opinion don't dump dogs at the shelter.
lets get a handle on pet stores, as i think it should be illegal for them to sell dogs and cats.
An impulse buyer is not a good prospect as a pet owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Yes, some breeding is needed to get specific traits for police dogs, etc .

Old 11-03-2012, 03:21 PM

30,285 posts, read 23,777,638 times

Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,609,611 times
ThreeWolvesInSnow:

a thousand times. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs