Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Spay/neuter didn't save those dogs lives but it prevented them from being brought back in along with a litter of puppies, or from siring puppies during their adoption. You acknowledge that irresponsible people give dogs up easily, but not that they are irresponsible about keeping their dogs from breeding oops litters. Years ago, shelters used to adopt dogs out with agreements that they be spay/neutered within a certain period of time. This contract was breached so often, with so many unwanted litters resulting, that they started doing the surgery first before allowing the dog to leave with adopters. There is now a law in many areas that shelter pets must be fixed before being adopted out, because otherwise a shelter is not doing much good for the community.
ETA, I'm not arguing that no one should be allowed to breed dogs. But we have to work to prevent accidental litters, and puppy millers need to be put out of business, as well as many bybs.
I 100 percent agree with you.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,179,145 times
Thanks, I tend to get a little peeved at some of the attitudes you find in the dog world as you can see.
Breeders are bad, you should get a rescue.
Sure get the rescue if the dog fits your needs and wants.
but don't condemn folks who want a pup from a good decent breeder.

Are your dogs the ones used to hunt bangers?
we really enjoyed our little Dachshund.
He kept the gsd's in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
Great post, SNO.True Labor of Love. Our dogs come from Germany, too...just a different breed. Anyone who thinks having puppies is easy is sadly mistaken.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 PM

482 posts, read 875,767 times
Mine are the ones once use to hunt pigs Slightly larger

Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,832,349 times
Yah....it reminds me of when my kids got to the age where they figure out that their parents had sex..grossed them out.....Don't really want to hear about a dog and the dogs sex life..Dogs are much nicer when you think of them as little angles and not sex machines...My daughter is close to neutering her 110 pound Bulldog Rottie cross..The mutt is mounting everything in sight..I suggested getting him bred - MY daughter said..."he will not miss what he never had"

No I don't cringe if someone tells me about getting their dog bred...frankly I don't know doggy types that talk about such things....

Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,441,787 times
If you think it's the sex part we're worried about, you're crazy. And BTW a neutered male that's had sex before neutering can still do the deed, just doesn't make babies when he does. I saw one of my old dogs do it myself. And I'm not embarassed to talk about it.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 PM

482 posts, read 875,767 times
Subject....I was thinking the same thing. Uh, strange.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:05 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Thanks, I tend to get a little peeved at some of the attitudes you find in the dog world as you can see.
Breeders are bad, you should get a rescue.
Sure get the rescue if the dog fits your needs and wants.
but don't condemn folks who want a pup from a good decent breeder.

Are your dogs the ones used to hunt bangers?
we really enjoyed our little Dachshund.
He kept the gsd's in line.

I agree 100% If its not breeders or rescue group badmouthing one another its the masses. Pretty much why I like my dogs more, very simple creatures.

Same here my breed also comes from Germany well not there entirely but I pretty much import from across the pond.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:03 AM

566 posts, read 1,108,371 times
At the local shelter, I went to visit a couple cats I found wandering around our neighborhood (the owners moved and left her). There were many designer pups: yorkies, sheetzus, poms, along with the pitbull mixes -which were PLENTIFUL- and sad to see (most were barely three years old). All owner rendered. Sudden owner allergies was the reason given most.

There were MANY, MANY dogs in the cages that were healing from getting fixed - most owners render their pets w/o getting them fixed.

Something must be done. It is out of control. Until the shelters can AFFORD to care for these throw away pets --- NO MORE BREEDING. NO MORE. Whether you love the breed or not - NO MORE. Until these shelters are caring for strays or lost pets NOT PETS PEOPLE THROW AWAY (damnit). For it is known they go out to their local petland store and buy ANOTHER puppy that will grow up - pee on a rug and find themselves in a shelter.

STOP ALL BREEDING in order to keep up with the mistakes from irresponsible owners that are in shelters now.

Just my opinion. But I volunteer at our shelter. I have two dogs no one wanted after awhile and found themselves in cages. They took a little longer to train...and a bred yorkie that replaced a yorkie killed by a neighbor's "rescued" greyhound. (Had there been a ban, I would have adopted another throwaway too)

I was a yorkie rescue/foster too. The nightmares were unreal with over breeding.

It must stop for awhile. There are just too many dogs.

Last edited by hellothereIN; 10-31-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 AM

566 posts, read 1,108,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
If you think it's the sex part we're worried about, you're crazy. And BTW a neutered male that's had sex before neutering can still do the deed, just doesn't make babies when he does. I saw one of my old dogs do it myself. And I'm not embarassed to talk about it.

It's their way of showing "who's boss" Alpha. Dominance. Anxiety. Boredom.

Needs training maybe.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There are no reputable breeders...period. When tens of millions of dogs die in shelters there is no excuse whatsoever to breed a dog. We should spay or neuter every dog. We won't run out of dogs because there are always irresponsible people.

Every dog who is bred on purpose is a death sentence for a dog in a pound.
Blah blah blah.
Reputable breeders keep breed lines clean and healthy.
I can't FIND a dog of the breed I want to rescue.
So your answer is, "Suck it up and get a dog of a breed you don't want so it won't die."
I don't think so.
I write checks, I volunteer, and I advocate spay/neuter programs. I buy food for rescue groups, and I am in favor of puppy mill operation shutdowns as well as no selling of dogs at pet stores.
But to say that any dog purposely bred is 'irresponsible...' Sheesh. Drama much?

I want the breed I want for its looks, its size, and most importantly, its highly predictable intelligence and temperament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs