Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:02 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Is she drooling while resting calmly? Is she swallowing weird for no apparent reason? Like there's phlegm in there? Or turning her head grimacing when trying to lay down or when getting UP quickly? Is she doing any of that in the early morning?

I ask because besides pain and anxiety, that's also a rule in for nausea and acid reflux...and a differential diagnosis would be gastric bacteria from contaminated water. That's what my dog had, Helicobacter Pylori (HP) which turns into bleeding gastric ulcers and more. Much more - IBD, esophagitis, motility problems, megaesophagus. It can get really bad and even sudden death, albeit he had a long line of symptoms including puking yellow bile. He died from it. And he very likely had it for alot longer time than Brandy possibly has, she could be in early stages. So it's not that obvious. Now, if she were stray BEFORE Lori had her and adopted her out, then she could have been carrying it around for longer like my Rocky, neglected living out in a yard with dirty water then stray on the streets, too.

HP is common worldwide but lays dormant until you get sick/immune compromised then it's a nightmare of a thing to get rid of sometimes and it's very opportunistic. The number one cause of ulcers in humans (and dogs).

There is no way to dx that in dogs without a scope which should only be done for life saving measures and way too dangerous for her anyway. Sometimes getting scope can cause irreparable damage. So IF she is tolerating the treatment I'd ask about Helicobacter treatment in conjunction with the Lyme - or after. If they think she can do it health wise.

It's called "triple therapy" Dr. Marshall's protocol = two specific antibiotics (Doxi is not one of them, unfortunately) with an acid inhibitor like Prevacid.

If she's regurgitating mucous/bile/anything or vomiting then you add Carafate to protect the gi system from the acid reflux burn which you assume she has in that regurge. Then it's called quadruple therapy. You MUST be very compliant with the Carafate directions and follow them explicitly when they tell you to not give it a certain amount of time before or after other food, water or meds. OTHERWISE it binds them up and causes a blockage. Carafate coats the GI tract to prevent burn and also binds to the bleeding ulcer tissue to kill and break it off as it is getting resolved from the antibiotics. So you don't want it to BIND to other materials.

I would make sure she gets a probiotic with the antibiotic (Doxi most likely?) and all the vets I know lately are using this one:

Amazon.com: Purina Veterinary Diets Fortiflora Canine, 30 Sachets Per Box: Pet Supplies

Since Doxi only has a 22% resolution rate for Helicobacter Pylori, I'd STRONGLY consider prophylactic antibiotic treatment for Helicobacter (gastritis etc) using Dr. Marshall's protocol of the higher rated antibiotics that are proven to resolve HP better (whenever they think she's up to it depending on her Lyme protocol, symptoms and strength). Her vet will know what I'm talking about if they are an experienced vet, NOT A RESIDENT. The story of Dr. Marshall and his life changing discovery of HP is famous. I think by now they have a combo RX packet for it with both correct antibiotics together from what I remember. You just add a PPI or another specific choice of an acid inhibitor. When my dog had it there was no such thing specifically for HP at the time just knowledge and RX the "right" A/Bs. And it was a mess, he couldn't swallow pills and was foaming/vomiting/regurging up all the liquid forms we tried. Except the Carafate because that has no bitter flavor it's just like a small amount of chalky water. IF she starts regurging/puking ACT FAST.

Stomach Infection with Helicobacter in Dogs | petMD

I'm sure Lori knows how to read her body language really well but sometime people mistake the signs of the gi disorder when there's no diarrhea for behavioral. But yes, pain is a rule in for HP, too. And sometimes dogs exhibit pain as anxiety. In a dog like her with this trauma they get all mixed in together.

I hope she has a peaceful, speedy recovery.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-14-2013 at 01:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 01:21 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Thanks for the reassurance. I thought maybe it was sort of narcissistic to assume that everyone wants to know about Brandy.
I did ask a friend to capture her latest photo from Facebook and put it on this forum. I don't know how to do that. That should be coming soon.
One way to post pics here is to create a Photobucket album and upload the pic there. (there are several others) THEN when you click on the pic in the "library" it gives you a link to copy and paste here in your post. You don't have to do anything like "make it a link" just paste it.

You'll see choices of links for different reasons:

Email & IM
Direct
HTML
HTML thumb
IMG
IMG thumb

You pick IMG to post a full size photo or IMG thumb to post a thumbnail size that people can click on to view bigger.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:20 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Thank you for the explanation of bacteria. Lori's vet specializes in emaciated animals (usually who have been on the run) and Lori is also a vet tech. She's the one who mentioned to me that Brandy could have gotten bacteria from bad water and so forth. I'll bring it up with her, but I think she's up on the possible problems Brandy might have acquired in the past several weeks. She was well and in Lori's shelter for six months before escaping from my adoption (both in the same day!). Her drooling and shaking has stopped- now if Lori leaves her sight, she simply gives out her trademark yowling howl- a big sound for a petite dog. Thank you for the suggestion.

I don't tend to get too involved in using applications around social media after a hacking event but will consider Photobucket. A friend on the forum said she'd post the photo in a day or so and that's good enough for me, but thank you for the instructions.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Our hunting dog drink any water they find and we have never had a problem.

Still, it is one more thing to watch for.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:14 AM

I think, given her emaciation and the several weeks that she was drinking whatever, it could be an issue. I know my home dogs drank out of puddles, etc., but they weren't on the run and losing weight and all. It's something to consider, that's for sure.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Here's the picture that Bright wanted posted here, of Brandy on her new bed:

Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Here's the picture that Bright wanted posted here, of Brandy on her new bed:
With her pretty collar!

Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 PM

Brandy's many friends got her a new bed and a new collar that fits- although the old one hung on through her whole escape, complete with tags, and might have been the only way to identify her. She looks good for someone who has been through so much! Lori gave her a *very good* bath.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
Brandy, I've got one word for you: STAY!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:21 AM

I know she scared herself almost to death, but somehow think she's been on the run in the past. Just don't know enough about her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs