Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 02:50 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,350 times

Advertisements

A lot of genetic problems, such as hips, elbows, eye disorders, and many heart problems don't show up until after a year. If if not fatal, they can be mighty expensive and painful. Personally, I wouldn't put much faith inmod cut brokers, which are just as disreputable as puppy mills.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-05-2013 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: orphaned comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 02:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
My beloved Alfie, a rescue dog I got in Manhattan, died fairly recently. While I have an auxiliary emergency backup dog, I really feel the need to get another White German Shepherd (GSD), for they are the sweetest of Shepherds,
I do feel your loss, really BUT...

Trying to get over the loss of one special dog under the assumption that what they look like is going to matter one wit regarding their personality or the special bond that you had is like a widow whose blond wife recently died going out and only dating blonds under the false impression that her personality was a function of her blondness. Such a search is a fool's errand.

You had a special dog, you need to find a special dog regardless of breed to replace her... strike that, a special dog, like special people can never be replaced... so what you need to be looking for is a large dog breeder, even a shepherd if you like and find THAT dog that you can form a new and DIFFERENT relationship with.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:57 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,778,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
A lot of genetic problems, such as hips, elbows, eye disorders, and many heart problems don't show up until after a year. If if not fatal, they can be mighty expensive and painful. Personally, I wouldn't put much faith in mod cutbrokers, which are just as disreputable as puppy mills.
mod cut

White GSD are genetically inferior. I would stick with the breed standard. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-05-2013 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: orphaned comment

Old 12-04-2013, 04:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
a REPUATABLE breeder has a FULL lifetime genetic warentee...1 year is useless! hips knees and elbows cant even be properly checked until 2 years, and most issues don't start until 2-4 years...50% after the first year is bull and good luck getting them to cover it.
now to break down that website...

orphaned
they are not breeders they are BROKERS, middle men they buy from "breeders" and sell to the public (these are the same types who buy from breeders and sell to pet stores.
NO repuatable breeder will use a middle man...plain and simple, a repuatable breeder wants to speak DIRECTLY to the person screen them, ensure their puppy is going to a wonderful home ect...

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-05-2013 at 09:00 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,764,835 times
What is interesting about the " lifetime" guarantee is that it is about the death of the dog. Many genetic problems are not going to kill the dog.

But do you want to have to have pay thousands for hip surgery for a dog with bad hip dysplasia ? Or live with a dog going blind from hereditary eye disease. Or deal with the various metabolic eating disorders common to some Shepherds or with neurological problems stemming from genetic disorders.

The link below is the Canine Health Information Center. It lists a number of health tests recommended for each breed. Reputable breeders do these tests- the mandatory ones and the optional ones.

Canine Health Information Center: CHIC Information

Get the AKC registered names of the parents of the puppy you are looking at ( leave out any titles, just use the registered name). Then go to the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals website and input those names. Any health tests they have had will show up. Nothing there, very little there- walk away.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Last edited by willow wind; 12-04-2013 at 05:51 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 07:47 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,528 times
You can check hips, elbows etc before a dog is two, X-rays will tell you what you need to know. there is also Pennhip who will give you info on any of these things at very young ages. The OFA will not certify or give a rating until two yrs old.

I have had youngsters checked much younger then two if I feared there was a potential problem.

the one red flag with the group you linked to is is the lack of any mention of any health testing of breeding stock. At the very minimum I would never purchase a German Shepard without multiple generations of dogs free from Hip Dysplasia....this is very important. Would probably want thyroids checked on stud dogs and brood *******, elbows checked as well.

keep looking, you can find better I think.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:26 PM

yes you CAN test prior to 2 yrs howver they are listed as "Pre-Lims" results are not considered even remotely accurate until afte 2 yrs of age (and should still be checked every few years)

Old 12-05-2013, 12:29 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,607 times
I want to thank everyone who has commented and helped guide me. You know, all I want is my baby back, and even God can't arrange that. The reason for wanting a White GSD was to recreate that which cannot be undone.

So I've decided the best way I can honor my wonderful, demised Alfie is to go to a shelter, find a young-to-middle aged dog, and make that dog as happy and trusting as I possibly can.

Again, thank you all for helping me avoid what likely would have been a disaster! I'll post pix when I find my new love.

Best wishes,

Alfieboy

Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Alfieboy, i cannot tell you how much this post makes me incredibly sad and yet incredibly happy!

theres an amazing special dog sitting in a kennel somewhere out there just waiting for you to find him and give him an amazing home, what a wonderful holiday miracle for that special dog!

im SO incredibly sorry for your loss!
please keep us updated, cant wait to see which special baby is blessed to find your home

Old 12-05-2013, 06:21 PM

488 posts, read 799,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I want to thank everyone who has commented and helped guide me. You know, all I want is my baby back, and even God can't arrange that. The reason for wanting a White GSD was to recreate that which cannot be undone.

So I've decided the best way I can honor my wonderful, demised Alfie is to go to a shelter, find a young-to-middle aged dog, and make that dog as happy and trusting as I possibly can.

Again, thank you all for helping me avoid what likely would have been a disaster! I'll post pix when I find my new love.

Best wishes,

Alfieboy
I think that is a LOVELY thing to do in Alfie's name! He was a lucky dog and your new dog will be equally lucky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs