Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
mod cut

White GSD are genetically inferior. I would stick with the breed standard. Just my 2 cents.
I was rather astounded to read on this thread about the old stereotypes about the "inferior" White Shepherds. We have one, and before we adopted her we had a WSD mix, and we read up on everything we could get our hands on about origin, genetic problems, predispositions, and so forth.
For one thing, the White Shepherd is generally no longer referred to as a White GSD, but as a WSD, White Shepherd Dog.
For another, even though the AKC does (still) not recognize it,
Quote:
In 1999, a group of AWSA members organized and established the United White Shepherd Club (UWSC) as a United Kennel Club affiliated parent club. They immediately petitioned for a new White Shepherd breed classification within UKC. The United Kennel Club accepted the UWSC's petition and created a new and separate White Shepherd breed conformation standard and registry. The White Shepherd breed was officially recognized by UKC on April 14, 1999. Today, United Kennel Club recognizes both the White Shepherd breed standard as well as the original German Shepherd Dog breed conformation standard where white and colored dogs continue to be considered together as one breed.
White Shepherd - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thirdly, the notion of inferiority was launched/supported by Hitler, who thought they were albinos, and did his best to exterminate all the White Shepherds, a subgroup of GSDs, and as old as the brown ones--even possibly older:
Quote:
In German Shepherd Dogs the recessive gene for white coat hair was cast in the breed gene pool by the late 19th and early 20th century breeding program that developed and expanded the German Shepherd Dog breed in Germany. A white herding dog named Greif was the grandfather of Horand von Grafrath, the dog acknowledged as the foundation of all contemporary German Shepherd Dog bloodlines.
And lastly, we were told by every vet we've talked with that the WSD usually has fewer health problems than the current American inbred GSD lines, although they also have a tendency toward hip dysplasia. And in particular, which seems to be the most widespread health problem, they tend to get demodex mange (ours did), and that is one way you can tell if your WSD has been bred from "non-reputable" breeders: females who develop demodex are supposed to be spayed, even if they belong to breeding lines, because it is genetically transferred to their puppies. Our Sweetie, a purebred WSD, is a rescue and is probably the result of some backyard breeder operation in SoCal. But she's quick, smart, friendly, loyal, and very protective--all the usual GSD characteristics.
So it's certainly possible that some WSD lines have certain health problems, but it is absolutely not the case that they are an inferior breed. That's an old superstition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I do feel your loss, really BUT...

Trying to get over the loss of one special dog under the assumption that what they look like is going to matter one wit regarding their personality or the special bond that you had is like a widow whose blond wife recently died going out and only dating blonds under the false impression that her personality was a function of her blondness. Such a search is a fool's errand.

You had a special dog, you need to find a special dog regardless of breed to replace her... strike that, a special dog, like special people can never be replaced... so what you need to be looking for is a large dog breeder, even a shepherd if you like and find THAT dog that you can form a new and DIFFERENT relationship with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I want to thank everyone who has commented and helped guide me. You know, all I want is my baby back, and even God can't arrange that. The reason for wanting a White GSD was to recreate that which cannot be undone.

So I've decided the best way I can honor my wonderful, demised Alfie is to go to a shelter, find a young-to-middle aged dog, and make that dog as happy and trusting as I possibly can.

Again, thank you all for helping me avoid what likely would have been a disaster! I'll post pix when I find my new love.

Best wishes,

Alfieboy
Alfieboy, so glad you've change the direction of your search, and I'll tell you why. Of course you want your baby back. But if you get another WSD it will only be a superficial resemblance. Ovcatto is right, the best tribute to your Alfie is to allow your affection for dogs to flourish by finding another dog, not a replacement dog. But psychologically there is an additional element: You have such wonderful memories of Alfie, but if you get another WSD (see my post about the recent name change! ), you will (1) have unfair and unrealistic expectations of the new dog somehow growing into Alfie, which he/she is not going to do, and (2) you will, subconsciously, be having trouble keeping the memories of the two dogs apart if they look identical, and it will make you feel guilty! I know, from past experience. So it will be much better if you look for a dog who "speaks to you," but doesn't look much like Alfie. You will get to love him or her for his or her own sake, and not for the resemblance. Another Shepherd, a brown one, might be just right for you because you already know how Shepherds think!

But years and years from now, down the line, if you should feel like getting an additional dog, and the grief over Alfie has been transformed into sweet memories, I don't see anything wrong with getting another White Shepherd.

About wanting one's furbaby back: When we lost our beloved First Dog, I spent nights going through Petfinder and other websites just looking for her sweet face...for another dog who looked like her. I missed her so much. If I had found a dog with her features, I don't think I could have resisted the temptation to adopt, but it wouldn't have been right...

Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Am I the only person feeling sorry for the auxiliary emergency backup dog?

Old 12-06-2013, 12:25 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
Hopes, everyone deals with greif differently, the op has never once made it seem like this is some spur of the moment get over it toss it away once i feel better issue...

for some people, ME included, the loss of a dog leaves a gaping hole that is best filled by the comfort of a new furry companion.
i do not expect the new puppy to BE the old dog, nor is it some kind of REPLACMENT...
but just liek some people turn to their family or frineds or therapist, some people prefer the therapy of having a new warm nose that needs you just as much as you need them.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:11 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm pretty sure that "reputable" and White German Shepherd breeder" are contradiction in terms.

It's not a recognized color. Reputable German Shepherd breeders do not breed non-recognized colors.

I suggest that you consider a nice German Shepherd of a standard color, or perhaps go to a Canadian breeder. Unless the standards have changed in Canada, white is a color that is allowed there. Although, you will still have a problem finding a reputable breeder who breeds for white.
Is that rather like breeding the "Albino" Doberman, who is not supposed to be bred and is full of flaws? I would say that any "reputable" breeder does NOT advertise on the Internet. To get a good purebred dog, you have to work your way into reputable dog clubs. It might take a while.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:57 AM

488 posts, read 799,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Am I the only person feeling sorry for the auxiliary emergency backup dog?
I breed Australian Shepherds okay a better description is I sometimes RARELY breed Australian Shepherds but I advertise a lot to keep the local Aussie puppy mill looking for owners. I educate people and refer them to good breeders or an Aussie rescue.

About half of the time the person has recently lost their dog and the hole is just too great. About half back out and decide they need to wait. The other half go forward and adopt.

I had one couple come to me and meet my dogs whose dog was dying. They were FABULOUS people and she knew that when the dog passed (many illness/issues) that she would want another very quickly so she did her homework ahead of time. I ended up helping her to a friend who had puppies at the right time and they did great.

Everyone reacts differently to losing a pet.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:09 AM

488 posts, read 799,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Is that rather like breeding the "Albino" Doberman, who is not supposed to be bred and is full of flaws? I would say that any "reputable" breeder does NOT advertise on the Internet. To get a good purebred dog, you have to work your way into reputable dog clubs. It might take a while.

A good dog breeder follows the Parent Club Code of Ethics. All of their dogs have their eyes cleared annually (ask to SEE the paperwork) and do health and genetic screening per guidelines Canine Health Information Center: CHIC Information

Also ask what the like and don't like about the sire and dam, what were they trying to accomplish in mating the two - THIS will give you the best answer. A good breeder will jabber on until your eyes glaze over on the minutia. A BYB will mumble something stupid.

The reason for pet over population is the public perception IT IS JUST A DOG. People who have a pretty dog and want a litter or two, people stupid who don't want to spay or neuter. People who dont want to pay the costs associated for a well bred healthy dog. All of these conditions are the reasons for over population.

If people only bought from a good breeder as described above OR a rescue (shelter, all breed, breed specialty) there would be no over population. When people call me about puppies I realize they spend more time picking out a toaster then a canine companion.

"I want a blue merle female with blue eyes" irritates me to no end. It would be like blindly buying a car on a used car lot saying "I want a red car with black leather seats" so you get a corvette to drive 100 miles round trip when you should have wanted a Prius.

People get so stuck on the outside looks and think all dogs are created equal. A person who wants an Australian Shepherd needs to understand a LOT of work goes in to these dogs. They need an active family who wants to have a dog with them 24 x7 (you will never go to the bathroom alone again).

Don't get a Border Collie if you are a single person working 60 hours a week in a tiny apartment - well do it but hope you don't want your security deposit back!

A lot of reputable breeders ARE on the internet simply really to try and get people to find THEM versus the mills. It is easy to see a good breeder - they have the sire and dam on pages with other dogs. They are active in their parent club and any regional sport club or local kennel club. JUST A DOG breeders are mill BYB and morons...stay away!

Old 12-07-2013, 05:29 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Alfieboy.....first my condolences on the loss of your beloved friend. Next, I am so glad that you decided to open your heart and home to a rescue dog that needs a home rather than trying to replace Alfie with another WSD.

My partner is from Manhatan, and had 4 west highland terriers (not at the same time); after our beloved Cricket passed away in his arms......we discussed getting a new dog.....especially when we saw how much our other rescue girl was missing her dominant companion. Since he had only owned Westies....I suggested that we look for a reputable breeder and get another. He said he didn't want to do that....he wanted to find a dog that needed us and our capacity to love (Cricket had been very ill with Addisons disease and it was our constant vigilance and care that kept her alive).

One day he saw a little tri-pod beagle pup, on Pet Search in Tennessee, looking for a Special Care home. She had been hit by a car while on the road...and the medically untreated wound ended up necessitating amputation when she was finally coaxed out of hiding in the woods. Her soulful eyes (in the picture) and the description of her circumstance and disposition by her foster mom.....led us to adopt and have her transported to us (in Maine at that time). She has been an absolute joy.....a perfect addition to our family. In fact our lives and the life of her big sister pretty much revolve around this blessed little imp.

I tell that story by way of saying....its all about the love....not about a specific breed.

Congratulations on your decision. Good Luck.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
Everyone reacts differently to losing a pet.
I'm well aware. It doesn't change my feeling sorry for the emergency auxiliary dog whose unimportance is so obvious.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:04 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm well aware. It doesn't change my feeling sorry for the emergency auxiliary dog whose unimportance is so obvious.
The emergency auxiliary backup dog isn't the topic of the thread. The topic of the thread was breeders of White GSDs and the wisdom of adopting a White. The emergency auxiliary backup dog is a very sociable, dog-loving pet who adored having a companion dog; I expect she'll be as happy as I will be when I adopt another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs