Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:41 PM

20,128 posts, read 16,183,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think you should find a good home for this dog who will do what is best for the dog and not give them candy at all, ever.
You don't "slowly" cut it out of his diet, you quit giving it to him completely.

You should seriously think about not being a pet owner.
This, along with a number of other posts on this thread, seems incredibly harsh.

My dog has an incredible sweet tooth. If the kids left their ice cream bowls anywhere near him that big tongue found them. When he was around 18 months old he ripped all the wrapping paper off a 2 pound box of chocolate, that we didn't know we had been given, which was under the Christmas tree and ate every blasted piece. Couldn't get a hold of a vet as it was Christmas. Ruined Christmas because we fretted thinking we were going to lose our beloved pet, he had diarrhea for two days, and was fine by the time we got him to the vet. He ate well over half a bag of of 760 tootsie rolls, paper and all. He had diarrhea about two days, paper and all, and was fine. He stole all the candy from the neighbor child's Halloween bucket, I don't even think he got diarrhea that time. He used to dig through the girls purses looking for candy and gum. I caught him once trying to sneak off with the monster bag of jolly ranchers I had bought for my classroom. Cakes, cookies, pies, and even fruit are not safe around him. I have never given him any kind of people food but still he has that sweet tooth. His absolute favorites are fruit gummies, which the youngest "accidentally" drops one or two of on occasions.

He is a 65 pound pitbull chow mix. He turned 15 last month and the vet says other than his eye sight getting weaker he is in incredible health. His teeth are fine, especially for such an old man. I don't think she needs to find a good home for her dog, he already has one - where he is loved, cared for, and evidently spoiled. There are lots and lots of dogs out there that are in much, much, much greater need of a good home.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:58 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,507,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This, along with a number of other posts on this thread, seems incredibly harsh.

My dog has an incredible sweet tooth. If the kids left their ice cream bowls anywhere near him that big tongue found them. When he was around 18 months old he ripped all the wrapping paper off a 2 pound box of chocolate, that we didn't know we had been given, which was under the Christmas tree and ate every blasted piece. Couldn't get a hold of a vet as it was Christmas. Ruined Christmas because we fretted thinking we were going to lose our beloved pet, he had diarrhea for two days, and was fine by the time we got him to the vet. He ate well over half a bag of of 760 tootsie rolls, paper and all. He had diarrhea about two days, paper and all, and was fine. He stole all the candy from the neighbor child's Halloween bucket, I don't even think he got diarrhea that time. He used to dig through the girls purses looking for candy and gum. I caught him once trying to sneak off with the monster bag of jolly ranchers I had bought for my classroom. Cakes, cookies, pies, and even fruit are not safe around him. I have never given him any kind of people food but still he has that sweet tooth. His absolute favorites are fruit gummies, which the youngest "accidentally" drops one or two of on occasions.

He is a 65 pound pitbull chow mix. He turned 15 last month and the vet says other than his eye sight getting weaker he is in incredible health. His teeth are fine, especially for such an old man. I don't think she needs to find a good home for her dog, he already has one - where he is loved, cared for, and evidently spoiled. There are lots and lots of dogs out there that are in much, much, much greater need of a good home.
Really?

This is just ONE of the many articles online explaining how bad candy is for dogs:

What Will Chocolate & Sugar Do to a Dog? | Dog Care - The Daily Puppy

You don't feed dogs candy!!! It's not meant for their system!

You were just lucky your dog didn't die when it ate chocolate, since that can be poisonous. Dogs can have ice cream. Heck, Sonic serves pup cups for them. You have to KNOW what treats are good for them. My dog just had his first birthday and I had gourmet dog cupcakes delivered to him. That place made sure the ingredients were safe for dogs. People need to do their research what goes into their dog's bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:03 AM

857 posts, read 2,218,506 times
Quote:

Not quite sure what to make of this post. I see you are a Moderator.

You relate stories of how accidents happened and your dog got ate candy.
Yet seem to condone a person who purposely gives their dog candy,when it is known candy is NO GOOD for dogs.

Saying your dog ate candy and is now 15years old to me is like telling the story of how your Grandad smoked 50 cigarettes a day and lived to be a 100.(yet it is a known carcogenic and kills many people every year)

We all who have posted here are trying to let this person know how bad it is for the dog and now you the Moderator defend this person and their errant ways. with no warning to stop the madness

Old 05-21-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Really?

This is just ONE of the many articles online explaining how bad candy is for dogs:

What Will Chocolate & Sugar Do to a Dog? | Dog Care - The Daily Puppy

You don't feed dogs candy!!! It's not meant for their system!

You were just lucky your dog didn't die when it ate chocolate, since that can be poisonous. Dogs can have ice cream. Heck, Sonic serves pup cups for them. You have to KNOW what treats are good for them. My dog just had his first birthday and I had gourmet dog cupcakes delivered to him. That place made sure the ingredients were safe for dogs. People need to do their research what goes into their dog's bodies.
It's not meant for our systems either. I didn't feed the dog the stuff, he got into it. Just like eating diet of sugar or smoking like a stove pipe doesn't impact some humans as much as others, according to vet we took the dog to after the 2 pounds of chocolate, the same is true of dogs. He also went off on some tangent about royalty purposefully ingesting arsenic, which was quite interesting but I won't go into it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Not quite sure what to make of this post. I see you are a Moderator.

You relate stories of how accidents happened and your dog got ate candy.
Yet seem to condone a person who purposely gives their dog candy,when it is known candy is NO GOOD for dogs.

Saying your dog ate candy and is now 15years old to me is like telling the story of how your Grandad smoked 50 cigarettes a day and lived to be a 100.(yet it is a known carcogenic and kills many people every year)

We all who have posted here are trying to let this person know how bad it is for the dog and now you the Moderator defend this person and their errant ways. with no warning to stop the madness
1) I was not posting as a moderator, but as a dog owner. We do not lose our rights to have an opinion or post by becoming a moderator. As my signature block says, posting as a moderator will be in bold red, both posts in this thread are in plain old boring black. My post, written as a dog owner, is no different than the post of any other poster.

2) While the candy isn't good for the dog, it does not rise to the level that justifies saying the owner is committing animal abuse, needs psychiatric help, needs to give away her dog, is killing her dog, or is the second coming of Satan, especially if it is the non-chocolate kind. The OP, apparently realizing it isn't a good idea, wrote asking for advice on how to address the issue. It is not as if she said "Hey, this is an awesome idea!" (Neither did I, by the way). And instead of being helpful, some have decided to step on their "look at how much better I am the you" self-righteous box and unfairly villainize the OP.

3) The OP has received tons of warnings to "stop the madness" already. Throwing mine into the mix would accomplish nothing if those other 25-30 tongue lashing hadn't already done the trick. Honestly, I am just flabbergasted by how outright mean some people have been.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-21-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 12:16 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,015,620 times
What I would do is take the dog to a local rescue/shelter and explain to them that you aren't fit to take care of it, the dog will thank you for it.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
It's not meant for our systems either. I didn't feed the dog the stuff, he got into it. Just like eating diet of sugar or smoking like a stove pipe doesn't impact some humans as much as others, according to vet we took the dog to after the 2 pounds of chocolate, the same is true of dogs. He also went off on some tangent about royalty purposefully ingesting arsenic, which was quite interesting but I won't go into it here.

1) I was not posting as a moderator, but as a dog owner. We do not lose our rights to have an opinion or post by becoming a moderator. As my signature block says, posting as a moderator will be in bold red, both posts in this thread are in plain old boring black. My post, written as a dog owner, is no different than the post of any other poster.

2) While the candy isn't good for the dog, it does not rise to the level that justifies saying the owner is committing animal abuse, needs psychiatric help, needs to give away her dog, is killing her dog, or is the second coming of Satan, especially if it is the non-chocolate kind. The OP, apparently realizing it isn't a good idea, wrote asking for advice on how to address the issue. It is not as if she said "Hey, this is an awesome idea!" (Neither did I, by the way). And instead of being helpful, some have decided to step on their "look at how much better I am the you" self-righteous box and unfairly villainize the OP.

3) The OP has received tons of warnings to "stop the madness" already. Throwing mine into the mix would accomplish nothing if those other 25-30 tongue lashing hadn't already done the trick. Honestly, I am just flabbergasted by how outright mean some people have been.

I was going to ask if you were a Defense Lawyer but decided against it.

After all its all about the Dogs!

Moderator,maybe you should close this out, since advice to this Op is a useless case!

Old 05-21-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
What I would do is take the dog to a local rescue/shelter and explain to them that you aren't fit to take care of it, the dog will thank you for it.
No, the dog won't. The dog will be devastated by it and miss his loving owner.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:56 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,015,620 times
Quote:
LOL, Loving owners don't feed their animals a candy diet

Old 05-21-2014, 03:59 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,046,844 times
Quote:

With all due respect, loving owners take proper care of their dogs...feeding them candy (or ice cream) is not proper care.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Nothing Sweet about this Candyman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs