Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 04:19 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
LOL, Loving owners don't feed their animals a candy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
With all due respect, loving owners take proper care of their dogs...feeding them candy (or ice cream) is not proper care.
Doesn't mean she doesn't love him, just that she is making not such great choices. No dog, unless it is being beaten or starved, is better off in a shelter - including ones fed non-chocolate candy.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:41 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,572 times
Ice cream in moderation is fine or they wouldn't have it on the menu at a national restaurant. And it's in a very small cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 06:17 AM

857 posts, read 2,216,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Ice cream in moderation is fine or they wouldn't have it on the menu at a national restaurant. And it's in a very small cup.
Dogs should not eat Dairy Products it causes diahrrea!

There is such a thing as Dog ice cream but I wouldn't give it to my dogs!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:44 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Dogs should not eat Dairy Products it causes diahrrea!

There is such a thing as Dog ice cream but I wouldn't give it to my dogs!
Um calm down.

I know PLENTY of what I should give my dog. He's a goldendoodle and they are known for having extreme stomach issues. It took me 8 months and thousands of dollars in vet and food expenses to find a brand that worked for his tummy.

Having one of these TINY cups at this chain did nothing to his body. He's only had two in his one year of life. Unlike the OPs dog who get gets candy everyday.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Seriously, everyone laments how many homeless dogs there are, and then tells people to get rid of their dog at the drop of a hat. Wouldn't it be much better to educate people about proper care for their pet? I'm sure the OP loves her dog and vice versa. Hopefully she'll be more conscious of feeding her dog with its health in mind in the future.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This, along with a number of other posts on this thread, seems incredibly harsh.

My dog has an incredible sweet tooth. If the kids left their ice cream bowls anywhere near him that big tongue found them. When he was around 18 months old he ripped all the wrapping paper off a 2 pound box of chocolate, that we didn't know we had been given, which was under the Christmas tree and ate every blasted piece. Couldn't get a hold of a vet as it was Christmas. Ruined Christmas because we fretted thinking we were going to lose our beloved pet, he had diarrhea for two days, and was fine by the time we got him to the vet. He ate well over half a bag of of 760 tootsie rolls, paper and all. He had diarrhea about two days, paper and all, and was fine. He stole all the candy from the neighbor child's Halloween bucket, I don't even think he got diarrhea that time. He used to dig through the girls purses looking for candy and gum. I caught him once trying to sneak off with the monster bag of jolly ranchers I had bought for my classroom. Cakes, cookies, pies, and even fruit are not safe around him. I have never given him any kind of people food but still he has that sweet tooth. His absolute favorites are fruit gummies, which the youngest "accidentally" drops one or two of on occasions.

He is a 65 pound pitbull chow mix. He turned 15 last month and the vet says other than his eye sight getting weaker he is in incredible health. His teeth are fine, especially for such an old man. I don't think she needs to find a good home for her dog, he already has one - where he is loved, cared for, and evidently spoiled. There are lots and lots of dogs out there that are in much, much, much greater need of a good home.

I too have thought some of the posts a little harsh, but I have to admit, some of the other things this OP has posted (throughout CD) have been a little on the "off-beat" side as well.

However, what you describe in your post are accidents or a dog who's a bit of a theif

The OP's situation is different in that this dog isn't stealing candy, the OP is giving it to the dog willingly and (to some extent) in place of regular dog food. There's a huge difference there.

The OP was on a few weeks ago asking if she should even get a dog and the overwhelming opinion was that she was not ready. No one said she had to take the advice given here, but one does tend to either question the choices she is making or wonder if these events are real. Surely it is common sense that one does not feed candy to a dog on purpose.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post

However, what you describe in your post are accidents or a dog who's a bit of a theif
He's a horrible thief! When you are in the room with him he just sits there all docile, looking the picture of the good obedient dog, but set a grocery bag on the ground and go out for more.... You walk in to him trying to stealthily walk up the stairs with a loaf of bread in his mouth. Mind you, he also had the option of nice packages of deli ham or cheese. But nooooo..... the dog is a total carb addict on top of everything else. Peanut butter, especially on a sandwich with jelly, is his greatest weakness. He will slowly scoot his body over to near anyone eating one, looking the other direction while he does it as if that will make us not notice him. From that point on, if you even set the sandwich down and just look away, it is a goner.

Totally love that dog and cried the whole drive home from the last vet visit where they gave the your dog has lived well beyond the normal lifespan for either of his breeds and his size, so while he appears in good health you need to prepare yourself speech. If he ever becomes terminal with some disease I'm going to feed him peanut butter and jelly sandwiches everyday and don't care what anyone has to say about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Surely it is common sense that one does not feed candy to a dog on purpose.
No necessarily, I am constantly amazed by the number of things I thought were just common sense that other people are blissfully unaware of when talking to parents of my students about things like discipline or homework issues. But, yes, she does need to stop it. However, to say the dog is better off in a shelter is just nuts.... and goes against common sense.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-22-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-22-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Seriously, everyone laments how many homeless dogs there are, and then tells people to get rid of their dog at the drop of a hat. Wouldn't it be much better to educate people about proper care for their pet? I'm sure the OP loves her dog and vice versa. Hopefully she'll be more conscious of feeding her dog with its health in mind in the future.
Exactly.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:53 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Dogs should not eat Dairy Products it causes diahrrea!.....
You really shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Most dogs handle processed dairy quite well. They can eat cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, cooked and/or canned milk with no issues. Ice cream is generally a cooked dairy product.

Ice cream should be very limited because of the amount of sugar and fat it contains, not because it contains milk. Also, it contains too many calories. The dog's calories should come from nutritious food and his calorie intake should be limited so that the dog doesn't get fat. Being fat is bad for the dog's health. Milk, unless the dog is allergic to milk, is generally not an issue.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:03 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
This week the dog has had less candy than usual. i am slowly cutting it out of his diet.
I'm going to play and just pretend this thread is serious.

Your dog is a dog. You are putting human emotions on your dog. You don't need to wean your dog off of the candy, you need to stop the candy, right now, all of it, this second, no more from this point on, ever. Point. Blank.

Your dog will eat dog food...not that dog food is a whole lot healthier if you're buying that kibble garbage from the store, but even as bad as it is, it's still better than fricken gummie bears. You are doing your dog a disservice, and you're going to end up spending a lot of money on your dog's dental care, and later on down the road, diseases or illnesses. You may think it's funny now, but it won't be funny later when you get the hefty bill from the vet, and your dog is going to pay the price with his health.

Dogs will not starve themselves. Cats will, but dogs will not. If he goes five days without eating, don't worry about it. He will eat, but he may hold out to see how long you'll hold out. From the sounds of it, your dog will probably win if you don't get serious about this.

Your dog will eat what you put in front of him, eventually. Stop buying candy. Are you a teenager? If you are, knock it off. If you're a grown adult, you might have some other issues that need tending to.

Do not give your dog one more piece of candy. Go to the pet store and find dog treats. They have some that have a little bit of sweetness to them, if you insist on giving your dog something sweet, but treats should be given when EARNED not just because the dog likes them and you think it's hilarious.

Treats should never be used as a supplement for a meal. Treats should never amount to more calories than the dog burns off with his regular meal(s) and the treats. I bet you if you introduced your dog to something like pieces of hot dog for treats, or cheese, or even dehydrated liver bits, your dog would like them, too.

Dogs eat other dogs crap...don't tell me your dog is picky. Baloney. Your dog will eat the right food if you would stop shoving candy down his throat.

I'm pretty confident this is not a real concern, that this is a joke thread, but I've said my peace nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs