Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:50 AM

155 posts, read 118,185 times

Advertisements

In the city we used to live in, the terrace (the strip between sidewalk & street) was owned by the city. However we had to care for it. We also had to up keep the sidewalk. Snow removal & paying for new sidewalk. If you didn't hire a contractor on your own, the city would have their contractor do it & charge us.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:55 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIggy View Post
In the city we used to live in, the terrace (the strip between sidewalk & street) was owned by the city. However we had to care for it. We also had to up keep the sidewalk. Snow removal & paying for new sidewalk. If you didn't hire a contractor on your own, the city would have their contractor do it & charge us.
Sidewalks where you live are maintained exactly opposite of where I live. Interesting to note in your locality that the strip of grass and sidewalk are owned by the city, but repaired/maintained by the homeowner.

Good reminder for to everyone to know the laws in their community and make sure they're following them.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:06 AM

155 posts, read 118,185 times
That was back in WI. We are now in AZ.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:13 AM

14 posts, read 10,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
BTW, I like your idea. If he ever time he flips out and starts screaming again, I'll call law enforcement to have a chat with him and have his confusion remedied.
Yep, it solves stupid real fast.

I've had real estate agents scream obscenities at me when I remove their signs from my corner lot yard and tear them up and throw them away. I volunteered to call the police for them myself and have them charged with 2nd degree trespass and littering if they wanted to push the matter. Same with the yard sale signs, the people posting yard sale signs are iconic for NOT gathering up their signs after their yard sale. The problem is the fact that most people are pigs/slobs on property they don't own. They won't clean up after themselves and they have zero respect for other people's property rights. Most dog walkers don't clean up the feces, although they too will scream obscenities at the property owner for objecting to their anti-social behaviors. I've had dog walkers have their dog anywhere from one foot to 6 feet in my yard defecating then walk off after having seen me in the yard watching them. That's some brass cahones and big middle finger to the property owner (me). The people that stop and ask BEFORE they post, I have no problem with and allow them to post with the understanding that they come back and collect their signs.

Beyond all that, I don't care about anyone else's dog. You want it, fine, have fun, but under no circumstance is anyone else obligated to shoulder or even tolerate that burden for the dog owner. I like plants and having "x" quantity of dogs a day urinate on daylillies, Lenten roses, daffodils, dahlias and other things I plant will kill them and I've lost a lot of plants because of that. Squirrels and raccoons don't line up "x" deep and sequentially urinate on the same plant. Only dogs do that and that is expected dog behavior. The owner has 100% of the obligation to control that behavior. That Fido *really, really* has to urinate is not my problem and I don't care, go elsewhere with it.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIggy View Post
The law is not a constant in this matter, it changes by state. Also, if the area has an HOA that HOA may be responsible for streets and sidewalks and their rules/easements may be quite different.

The rule here is don't rely on "everybody knows", "everybody" is a freaking idiot, you cannot trust that guy.

The city I live in has areas of greenway that away from the walking trail abut sidewalks and in those areas they will have garbage cans with dispensers for dog waste with signs identifying the area as a dog defecation/waste relief area. It's amazing too me who many dog owners will walk past those places and take their dog to someone else's yard and have Fido defecate there.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:21 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,720,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
It's not a sense of entitlement, but the fact of what is legal and proper. The law states clearly that the sidewalks and grass strips are public property. If anyone has a sense of entitlement it's the homeowner who believes he should have control over who uses the sidewalk and strip in front of his home despite the fact that they are public property and as such designed for use by the public. Why would a homeowner believe he should control who can walk on the sidewalk? If it needs repair, it's the city and not the homeowner who is responsible. This guy is like the people who have road rage when someone cuts them off in "their" lane. He needs to brush up on where his private ownership ends and where ownership becomes public and accept that anyone (the public) has use of the sidewalk and the planting strip.

I do agree 100% that dog owners should keep their dogs off PRIVATE property and pick up 100% of the time. I do and I wish all dog owners would as well. But, I equally believe that dog owners have as much right to the use of public spaces as the rest of the public. No more, no less.
The city workers where I live absolutely do not maintain those rights-of-way adjoining private property. It is the responsibility (burden) of the adjacent owner to take care of them. That is why people get so angry about dog poop. You can easily poop your dog in the right-of-way along YOUR yard. The fact that you vow to continue doing what makes the guy angry is very revealing.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The city workers where I live absolutely do not maintain those rights-of-way adjoining private property. It is the responsibility (burden) of the adjacent owner to take care of them. That is why people get so angry about dog poop. You can easily poop your dog in the right-of-way along YOUR yard. The fact that you vow to continue doing what makes the guy angry is very revealing.
If the city isn't maintaining it I'd plant privet bushes or such things in that strip and along the side of the sidewalk towards my house....keep them trimmed so as to not overhang the sidewalk and let'em grow thick. Problem solved.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgncng View Post
Yep, it solves stupid real fast.

I've had real estate agents scream obscenities at me when I remove their signs from my corner lot yard and tear them up and throw them away. I volunteered to call the police for them myself and have them charged with 2nd degree trespass and littering if they wanted to push the matter. Same with the yard sale signs, the people posting yard sale signs are iconic for NOT gathering up their signs after their yard sale. The problem is the fact that most people are pigs/slobs on property they don't own. They won't clean up after themselves and they have zero respect for other people's property rights. Most dog walkers don't clean up the feces, although they too will scream obscenities at the property owner for objecting to their anti-social behaviors. I've had dog walkers have their dog anywhere from one foot to 6 feet in my yard defecating then walk off after having seen me in the yard watching them. That's some brass cahones and big middle finger to the property owner (me). The people that stop and ask BEFORE they post, I have no problem with and allow them to post with the understanding that they come back and collect their signs.

Beyond all that, I don't care about anyone else's dog. You want it, fine, have fun, but under no circumstance is anyone else obligated to shoulder or even tolerate that burden for the dog owner. I like plants and having "x" quantity of dogs a day urinate on daylillies, Lenten roses, daffodils, dahlias and other things I plant will kill them and I've lost a lot of plants because of that. Squirrels and raccoons don't line up "x" deep and sequentially urinate on the same plant. Only dogs do that and that is expected dog behavior. The owner has 100% of the obligation to control that behavior. That Fido *really, really* has to urinate is not my problem and I don't care, go elsewhere with it.

Completely agree that NO ONE should be on your private property. No one that you don't invite onto your property should be on it and that includes realtors, dogs and dog owners. That being said, those same entities do have the right to be on public property. If someone is my private property, I have the right to say something to them and ask them to leave. If they're on the sidewalk in front of my home, I don't since that's public property.

IMO, people need to know the laws where they live and follow them for both private and public property.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:34 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,720,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgncng View Post
The law is not a constant in this matter, it changes by state. Also, if the area has an HOA that HOA may be responsible for streets and sidewalks and their rules/easements may be quite different.

The rule here is don't rely on "everybody knows", "everybody" is a freaking idiot, you cannot trust that guy.

The city I live in has areas of greenway that away from the walking trail abut sidewalks and in those areas they will have garbage cans with dispensers for dog waste with signs identifying the area as a dog defecation/waste relief area. It's amazing too me who many dog owners will walk past those places and take their dog to someone else's yard and have Fido defecate there.
Yup, one of the locals here deliberately brings his dog elsewhere to poop, and at least once the dog went on the grass edge right next to a public beach entry point that had a bag dispenser and trash can and he just left the steaming pile right there anyway.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
As long as I'm on a public right of way and I clean up I'm really not worried about the ranting of that guy. If people believe they own the public areas in front of their homes, that's their misunderstanding of the laws of our city.

I walk my dog 3-5 miles a day. Sometimes the poop happens in my yard, sometimes not and sometimes not at all. I'm not targeting the strip in front of his home and I don't think my dog pooped there except that one time. I make sure my dog stays on public property on our walks. That's what is expected by law and what I follow 100% of the time. People who think you can take a dog on a long walk a NEVER have them poop along the way aren't being reasonable or rational. Obviously, poop should always be picked up and carried away for disposal. I also carry a water bottle with me so when he pees (again on public property) if it happens to be on grass or plants I can rinse it away.

The guy who yelled at me is the same one that rang the doorbell of a neighbor while they were having a party and screamed at them because a couple guests parked on the public street in front of his home. He also accosted the meter reader when they were on his property to get the reading and yelled at a couple neighbors chatting on the sidewalk in front of his house to leave "his" property. He threatened them all with a trespassing lawsuit as well. He seems to have boundary issues in general.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 09-07-2016 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs