Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 11:47 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Yup, one of the locals here deliberately brings his dog elsewhere to poop, and at least once the dog went on the grass edge right next to a public beach entry point that had a bag dispenser and trash can and he just left the steaming pile right there anyway.
That's just lazy and nasty. And people wonder why apartment complexes are starting to require a poop sample so offenders can be found and fined.

Pick up the poop. It's not that hard.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:51 PM

14 posts, read 10,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Pick up the poop. It's not that hard.
Apparently it is excruciatingly painful and a horrible imposition on dog owners, most don't want it in their own yards and refuse to clean it up when their dog unloads on government owned real estate and just to hades with the property owner that denies them access to private property for that purpose.

The city I live in went so far as to create a "leash free" doggie park. It was supposed to "pay for itself" with an honor system payment drop box at the gate. It was also supposed to be self-cleaning since they put garbage cans and biodegradable poop bag dispensers at the site.

Guess how that turned out?

Old 09-07-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgncng View Post
Apparently it is excruciatingly painful and a horrible imposition on dog owners, most don't want it in their own yards and refuse to clean it up when their dog unloads on government owned real estate and just to hades with the property owner that denies them access to private property for that purpose.

The city I live in went so far as to create a "leash free" doggie park. It was supposed to "pay for itself" with an honor system payment drop box at the gate. It was also supposed to be self-cleaning since they put garbage cans and biodegradable poop bag dispensers at the site.

Guess how that turned out?

That sounds awful. I guess I'm pretty lucky in that most dog owners around here clean up after their pets and are respectful of private property. Those who don't are in the minority and if I see one I always have an extra bag to offer them. Most have the good sense to just use it instead of making excuses for themselves.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 AM

14 posts, read 10,657 times
Well, whatever the ratio is, 50%/50% 75%/25% it is sufficient that those who don't clean up or trespass with their animal leave a very negative impression. Much like cat owners who open the door and allow their precious kitty to wander the neighborhood. Not sure why that is acceptable since domestic and feral domesticated cats are the single largest killers of birds in the US. The animal owner frequently refuses to believe that their precious pet is capable of doing anything anyone would ever object to and if they do object they're just (insert obscenity here).

I've been amazed by the cat owners that pretend to be oh so worried and frantic when kitty doesn't come home after they have "trained" the animal to disappear for hours on end and return to the front porch when they're ready to come inside. I'm not sure how a cat owner can be surprised when their free range suburban cat disappears. Cats are frequent road kill. Coyotes are becoming increasingly common in suburban and even urban areas and cats are quick and easy protein for them. A likely consequence of having a free range cat is that eventually kitty will be killed by a car or a predator. It may happen on day 1 or it may happen on day 3,650, but it is a statistically reasonable outcome.

I am also a dog owner, but my dogs are either on my property or on a leash and when walked they are not allowed on other people's property. We walk them on trails and areas where there is a municipally owned and designated dog waste relief area and we clean it up.

Pets are a good test for how selfish/self-centered some people actually can be.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Well, whatever the ratio is, 50%/50% 75%/25% it is sufficient that those who don't clean up or trespass with their animal leave a very negative impression. Much like cat owners who open the door and allow their precious kitty to wander the neighborhood. Not sure why that is acceptable since domestic and feral domesticated cats are the single largest killers of birds in the US. The animal owner frequently refuses to believe that their precious pet is capable of doing anything anyone would ever object to and if they do object they're just (insert obscenity here).

I've been amazed by the cat owners that pretend to be oh so worried and frantic when kitty doesn't come home after they have "trained" the animal to disappear for hours on end and return to the front porch when they're ready to come inside. I'm not sure how a cat owner can be surprised when their free range suburban cat disappears. Cats are frequent road kill. Coyotes are becoming increasingly common in suburban and even urban areas and cats are quick and easy protein for them. A likely consequence of having a free range cat is that eventually kitty will be killed by a car or a predator. It may happen on day 1 or it may happen on day 3,650, but it is a statistically reasonable outcome.

I am also a dog owner, but my dogs are either on my property or on a leash and when walked they are not allowed on other people's property. We walk them on trails and areas where there is a municipally owned and designated dog waste relief area and we clean it up.

+1. In a perfect world, all dog owners would clean up 100% of the time and all cats would be kept indoors 100% of the time.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:36 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,948,167 times
My dog poos in his own yard. He also pees there, too. Dogs are pretty predictable and it's fairly simple to guess when they're going to go.

The OP is wrong, assuming his dog was on another person's property. That's the key. If your dog is at a PUBLIC park or whatever and poops, clean it up and be done with it.

However, if it's PRIVATE property, keep your dog off. Very simple.

It's not difficult to figure out if it's private property, fence or no.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:48 PM

5,532 posts, read 7,123,271 times
Nobody should be allowing their dogs to roam on someone's lawn. If they go up on the lawn while you're out walking them, then pull them off.

What is so hard about that?

If you allow them to pee or poo on someone's grass then every other dog is going to mark it too.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:59 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,186,419 times
Quote:

I never thought about it like that before, but I have to agree with you.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:14 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,720,470 times
Oldhag1, you beat me to it. That bolded statement sums it up well.

It's as though the owner uses the pet as a shield, an excuse for their own spoiled-brat behavior while maintaining the smug facade of being a "dog lover" or whatever.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:22 PM

8,700 posts, read 11,096,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
My dog poos in his own yard. He also pees there, too. Dogs are pretty predictable and it's fairly simple to guess when they're going to go.

The OP is wrong, assuming his dog was on another person's property. That's the key. If your dog is at a PUBLIC park or whatever and poops, clean it up and be done with it.

However, if it's PRIVATE property, keep your dog off. Very simple.

It's not difficult to figure out if it's private property, fence or no.

As a fellow dog owner, I agree. How would the OP feel if his property was the whole neighborhood pooping station? I grew up in a heavily traffic corner house in nyc.....there would be tons of remains in the corner of the street....yeah, some people clean it up...but there are always a few bad owners who ruins it for everyone else. Its digusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs