Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 06:18 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,483,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes, as the one person said, dog owners don't get to decide for their neighbors how much nonsense they're supposed to be OK with tolerating on their OWN property.

And people putting their pets on the same plane of significance as children, that's a special kind of disgusting I can barely fathom even existing. I think about as much of that nonsense as I do a certain German who came to power in the 1930s.

Like most things, it happens slowly with barely a notice from us until it's too late. We have kid-free hotels, restaurants and theaters (certain hours) where children and babies are not allowed. No outcry.

Try restricting service animals and watch explosive results. We'll see the lawsuits flying all over the place -- businesses getting sued and shut down for discriminating.

Dare to express your opinion to the holder of a "service animal" that has no visible identification. You'll be berated and verbally abused, not only by the dog owner, but by everyone within earshot.

Who can enjoy a fine restaurant anymore without some psycho and his comforting "service dog" sitting beside us, shedding and drooling all over the table and floor? Grocery and department stores, same thing. Never do we see proper identification on these privileged animals.

First (and continually) it was our yards and lawns. Now it's stores and restaurants.... and in places where human children and babies are banned.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:03 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,215,398 times
My dog goes wherever he wants. I pick up what I can.

Life is too short to get offended over every little thing.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,718,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
My dog goes wherever he wants. I pick up what I can.

Life is too short to get offended over every little thing.
Yet another example of My Dog's Privileges Override Property Owner's Legal Rights.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:19 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,215,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Yet another example of My Dog's Privileges Override Property Owner's Legal Rights.
Yep!

Old 07-07-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Yep!
If your dog doesn't get poisoned or shot. It happens. No, I've never done either of those. But I sympathize with those who have, because they can't shoot an owner like you instead.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
I don't understand how it's rude when I have no control over my dog's bodily functions, ..........
If your dog is on a leash, as he should be, you can most certainly control where your dog is walking, so do not allow him to wander around on lawns that are not your own. That will solve the issue very neatly.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If your dog is on a leash, as he should be, you can most certainly control where your dog is walking, so do not allow him to wander around on lawns that are not your own. That will solve the issue very neatly.
Thank you!

Old 07-08-2017, 12:50 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,609,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
If your dog doesn't get poisoned or shot. It happens. No, I've never done either of those. But I sympathize with those who have, because they can't shoot an owner like you instead.
I mistakenly pushed the Reputation link for this appalling post. I can't believe you sympathize with people who would kill dogs because of their owners' allowing them to relieve themselves on neighbors' yards (or the owners).

Old 07-08-2017, 01:04 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,609,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Like most things, it happens slowly with barely a notice from us until it's too late. We have kid-free hotels, restaurants and theaters (certain hours) where children and babies are not allowed. No outcry.

Try restricting service animals and watch explosive results. We'll see the lawsuits flying all over the place -- businesses getting sued and shut down for discriminating.

Dare to express your opinion to the holder of a "service animal" that has no visible identification. You'll be berated and verbally abused, not only by the dog owner, but by everyone within earshot.

Who can enjoy a fine restaurant anymore without some psycho and his comforting "service dog" sitting beside us, shedding and drooling all over the table and floor? Grocery and department stores, same thing. Never do we see proper identification on these privileged animals.

First (and continually) it was our yards and lawns. Now it's stores and restaurants.... and in places where human children and babies are banned.
Many people who have service dogs are not psychos. I think that the Service Dog designation has been abused and counterfeited, but that doesn't mean there aren't thousands of people whose lives have been drastically improved by Service Dogs; or who couldn't walk or otherwise do normal things without the help of true Service Dogs. I strongly disapprove of dogs or any animal being given fake 'Service Dogs' or Emotional Support Dogs credentials just so their owners can take them on a plane; it's not the dogs' fault, but it makes the lives of actual Service Dog owners, whose dogs have been specially trained to help their people, more difficult.

I went to the movies a few weeks ago with some friends. One of them had a tiny Service Dog; a ten-pound dog. The little dog apparently alerts the owner to some problem (I did not ask what; but some dogs do alert the owner to low blood sugar or impending seizures, which certainly would help the person). The dog had a jacket and some kind of credential; since it wasn't my business, I didn't ask about it. She said the dog was trained. The dog was quiet and well-behaved; you wouldn't have known she was there, for over two hours in a loud movie, she just lay still on her owner's lap. I've also heard of Great Danes who are specifically trained to help people with mobility problems (due to their size and gentle natures) and provided, when their training is complete, free of charge to people who need them (and can properly care for the dogs). They are quiet and obedient in public.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:44 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,483,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Many people who have service dogs are not psychos. I think that the Service Dog designation has been abused and counterfeited, but that doesn't mean there aren't thousands of people whose lives have been drastically improved by Service Dogs; or who couldn't walk or otherwise do normal things without the help of true Service Dogs. I strongly disapprove of dogs or any animal being given fake 'Service Dogs' or Emotional Support Dogs credentials just so their owners can take them on a plane; it's not the dogs' fault, but it makes the lives of actual Service Dog owners, whose dogs have been specially trained to help their people, more difficult.

I went to the movies a few weeks ago with some friends. One of them had a tiny Service Dog; a ten-pound dog. The little dog apparently alerts the owner to some problem (I did not ask what; but some dogs do alert the owner to low blood sugar or impending seizures, which certainly would help the person). The dog had a jacket and some kind of credential; since it wasn't my business, I didn't ask about it. She said the dog was trained. The dog was quiet and well-behaved; you wouldn't have known she was there, for over two hours in a loud movie, she just lay still on her owner's lap. I've also heard of Great Danes who are specifically trained to help people with mobility problems (due to their size and gentle natures) and provided, when their training is complete, free of charge to people who need them (and can properly care for the dogs). They are quiet and obedient in public.
Nowhere in my post did I insult real service dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs