Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 10:04 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,716,602 times

Advertisements

Now this is a good idea.

Catch A Poo

Old 09-07-2016, 07:11 AM

768 posts, read 861,093 times
Dogs are creatures of habit...very much so. Find a spot in your yard...fence it in if you can or line it with gravel. From the time those dogs are puppies, you take them there and praise them for going. Pick it up and put it in any container or whatever you have. When they are older, my dogs would make a beeline for this area....even in a huge snowstorm and they would go because that is "their toilet". They are always praised for going there, always. No brown spots in my lawn or my neighbors. THEN, we go for a walk which is as much for me as it is for them. I walk with my scooper in my hand so all the world will know "in case" they go, I will pick it up. No guesswork. My neighbors are friendly and if they spot crap in their yards, they know it didn't come from my dogs. Very easy, but takes work in the beginning of getting any dog.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:25 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,817,917 times
I don't ever let my dog go into anyone's yard when walking. And I always pick up any poop.

However, I recently had a nutcase scream at me because my dog pooped in the strip between the sidewalk and the street. He got in my face screaming about my dog pooping on "his" yard. I calmly pointed out that in fact the sidewalk and the strip are public property owned by the city and therefore not his private property at all. That didn't go over big and he continued screaming and threatened to sue me for trespassing. LOL. I told him to feel free to try.

Dog owners should always keep their dogs off private property and pick up, but property owners need to understand where their property rights end and public land begins and realize they have no say over its use by others.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:31 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I don't ever let my dog go into anyone's yard when walking. And I always pick up any poop.

However, I recently had a nutcase scream at me because my dog pooped in the strip between the sidewalk and the street. He got in my face screaming about my dog pooping on "his" yard. I calmly pointed out that in fact the sidewalk and the strip are public property owned by the city and therefore not his private property at all. That didn't go over big and he continued screaming and threatened to sue me for trespassing. LOL. I told him to feel free to try.

Dog owners should always keep their dogs off private property and pick up, but property owners need to understand where their property rights end and public land begins and realize they have no say over its use by others.
You didn't mention that you picked up after your dog. And, while it may technically belong to the city, the guy mows and maintains it. Avoid his yard/berm in the future.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You didn't mention that you picked up after your dog. And, while it may technically belong to the city, the guy mows and maintains it. Avoid his yard/berm in the future.
Did you not see my statement that I ALWAYS pick up? It's right there in my post that you quoted.

I really don't care if he mows and maintains it and based on the condition of the strip I say that with a laugh. He doesn't own that land or the sidewalk. I will continue to walk on "his" sidewalk and if the mood strikes allow my dog to poop on "his" grass strip. Then I'll pick up the poop and go on my way knowing I'm following the law. If he wants to sue me for use of public property, let him try. I'm sure the courts need a laugh now and then.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:49 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times
Quote:
Did you not see my statement that I ALWAYS pick up? It's right there in my post that you quoted.

I really don't care if he mows and maintains it and based on the condition of the strip I say that with a laugh. He doesn't own that land or the sidewalk. I will continue to walk on "his" sidewalk and if the mood strikes allow my dog to poop on "his" grass strip. Then I'll pick up the poop and go on my way knowing I'm following the law. If he wants to sue me for use of public property, let him try. I'm sure the courts need a laugh now and then.
Obviously your entitlement and attitude is less than endearing. A rational person would avoid this man. Good luck
Hope you aren't dealing with a guy like this http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/M...310822351.html

Last edited by JanND; 09-07-2016 at 08:05 AM..

Old 09-07-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Obviously your entitlement and attitude is less than endearing. You don't own it either. Good luck
It's not a sense of entitlement, but the fact of what is legal and proper. The law states clearly that the sidewalks and grass strips are public property. If anyone has a sense of entitlement it's the homeowner who believes he should have control over who uses the sidewalk and strip in front of his home despite the fact that they are public property and as such designed for use by the public. Why would a homeowner believe he should control who can walk on the sidewalk? If it needs repair, it's the city and not the homeowner who is responsible. This guy is like the people who have road rage when someone cuts them off in "their" lane. He needs to brush up on where his private ownership ends and where ownership becomes public and accept that anyone (the public) has use of the sidewalk and the planting strip.

I do agree 100% that dog owners should keep their dogs off PRIVATE property and pick up 100% of the time. I do and I wish all dog owners would as well. But, I equally believe that dog owners have as much right to the use of public spaces as the rest of the public. No more, no less.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:56 AM

14 posts, read 10,645 times
Quote:
That's may not true at all. The city can have an easement, that does NOT mean the city owns the land. The land is still owned by the homeowner, the city merely has the easement for utilities and a sidewalk.

If the homeowner is telling you it is his land he has probably seen his property deed, I would assume you have not seen his property deed.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:00 AM

14 posts, read 10,645 times
Quote:
If anyone has a sense of entitlement it's the homeowner who believes he should have control over who uses the sidewalk and strip in front of his home despite the fact that they are public property and as such designed for use by the public.
What law is that? Have you seen the property deed for his property? How do you know that that strip of land is government owned? You are making a lot of assumptions. Dog walkers rationalize a lot of nasty behaviors by assumptions such as this. There is no sidewalk in front of my home, just an easement for the city to run underground utilities. The city does not own the land, it is private property. The city easement does not transfer to private citizens such that they can walk their dog on it much less allow the animal to void it's bladder or defecate there.

Several dog walkers near me have had to have a chat with a law enforcement officer to have their confusion remedied.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgncng View Post
What law is that? Have you seen the property deed for his property? How do you know that that strip of land is government owned? You are making a lot of assumptions. Dog walkers rationalize a lot of nasty behaviors by assumptions such as this. There is no sidewalk in front of my home, just an easement for the city to run underground utilities. The city does not own the land, it is private property. The city easement does not transfer to private citizens such that they can walk their dog on it much less allow the animal to void it's bladder or defecate there.

Several dog walkers near me have had to have a chat with a law enforcement officer to have their confusion remedied.
It's the law in the city where I live (and yes I have read it) that private property ends at the edge of the public sidewalk that abuts it. That's so owners who have sidewalks in front of their property are not financially liable for the repair and maintenance of said sidewalk. In addition, the planting strip that may be present between the sidewalk and the public street is also owned by the city. There are additional easements in private yards as you describe for access to water/sewer lines and utilities. They are on property owned by the homeowner, but the city retains access. No one, human or dog, should be on that easement without permission since it's private property owned by the homeowner.

In the case of your lawn where no sidewalk is present, I'd assume your private property runs up to the edge of the street and I would never allow my dog on it for any reason. If he had to poop in front of your home, it'd be happening in the public street and not on your grass. In the case I described earlier, my dog pooped in the public strip of grass between the public sidewalk and the public street and not on the private lawn of the homeowner. BTW, I like your idea. If he ever flips out and starts screaming again, I'll call law enforcement to have a chat with him and have his confusion about private vs. public property remedied.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 09-07-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs