Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 12:49 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
........... Maybe we were just lucky, but she came equipped with all the best qualities of the GSD and the Lab: .......
Yes, a lot of luck to it. When breeds are crossed, you might get the best of both breeds. But you might get the worst of both breeds combined. Usually, it is a little of both. So, you got the pup with the best qualities, someone else got the pup with the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 02:16 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,499,452 times
I would say a 10-year old small dog would be a good fit. Would have to be in the house though. Maybe a little terrier or something like that.

We had a Scottie/Cairn mix. Lived until 16 with no health problems. What a one-man dog! Tolerated the rest of us but he adored my husband, was at his feet 24/7. Small dog but didn't act like it. Tough as nails that little fella

Old 07-01-2018, 02:50 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I would say a 10-year old small dog would be a good fit. Would have to be in the house though. Maybe a little terrier or something like that.

We had a Scottie/Cairn mix. Lived until 16 with no health problems. What a one-man dog! Tolerated the rest of us but he adored my husband, was at his feet 24/7. Small dog but didn't act like it. Tough as nails that little fella
One caveat to a small dog....they can be underfoot, harder to spot, and a trip/fall hazard. A dear friend of my dad's chose a small poodle mix for her "senior" dog, didn't see it, tripped and fell, broke that ubiquitous hip, all the bad stuff. Sure, you can trip over a large dog too, but a little more likely you know where the dog is at a given moment.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:01 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,407,676 times
From my own experience with elkhounds and shepherds, also consider Norwegian Elkhounds or elkhound mixes. There is a Norwegian Elkhound rescue group with dogs who need homes (not sure how active it is at the moment). The Elkhound temperament seems like it might work very well for the man.

Adopting a rescue is a win-win for both human and dog.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:13 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
One caveat to a small dog....they can be underfoot, harder to spot, and a trip/fall hazard. A dear friend of my dad's chose a small poodle mix for her "senior" dog, didn't see it, tripped and fell, broke that ubiquitous hip, all the bad stuff. Sure, you can trip over a large dog too, but a little more likely you know where the dog is at a given moment.

And if you fall on a large dog it may cushion your fall somewhat.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
And if you fall on a large dog it may cushion your fall somewhat.
Actually, a disabled friend has a service dog who mainly is just there to help her get up if she falls. She is only occasionally at risk of falling and lives in an apartment where a walker can be unwieldy. The dog can come when called and help her up.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:03 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
I would stay away from a Malinois. I also would avoid a husky or husky mix. They need a lot of exercise and are fairly independent so not usually (individual dogs may vary of course) trainable.

I think an older GSD is the best choice PROVIDED the gentleman has a plan in place for the dogs care if something were to happen to him and he could no longer care for the dog. I think any reputable rescue would insist on this before they adopted the dog out.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:00 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,499,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Depends on the breed. Some of the toy breeds are kind of dumb and stand in dumb places and aren't very quick on their feet You would never trip on our terrier though, that little guy was athletic and sharp as they came. He was also black so not easy to miss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs