Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,705,269 times

Advertisements

In past years my dog had some very uncomfortable experiences with getting all his shots at once. I quit doing that some years ago. I stagger his shots and he gets Benadryl at the same time. I try to schedule these shots when I can spend some time around the house just to monitor his reaction. Since I have been offsetting his shots I have had no problems with vaccinations.
As to vets, recently I moved to a new area and without knowing which vet to choose I picked one from a recommendation on the net. He seemed knowledgeable and very nice. My dog who is fourteen was lethargic and not eating. He suggested a complete blood work up and I agreed. The results revealed that my dog was in kidney failure. I was glad that this vet suggested the blood test but then did not offer any treatment. He said to put him on a kidney diet and make him comfortable. My dog was growing worse very quickly. I went back to the net and found a vet specializing in senior dogs so I took him there. They kept him for two days and put him on an IV and gave him meds and other treatment. He responded very well. She showed me how to give sub-q fluids and meds and my dog is doing well all things considered. He has good days and bad days and I know what the outcome will be, but in the meantime my dog has a better quality life and is more comfortable. I am not faulting the first vet but I am so grateful I found this wonderful second vet.
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,920,332 times
My vet staggers the shots he gives my cats and dogs. I have to go twice a year, but it makes me feel better that they don't get everything at once. Good luck with your fur-baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs