Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:07 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

Hi, My Cocker Spaniel mixed was taken to the vet today and given losts of different shots and treatment for her ears and wanting to know about the big round bump on here underside of her stomach which I found out from the vet that it was a fat bump and not a cancer problem. When I got her home and she was home for about 3 hours she started have a Seizure and one was right after another and I had take her to another different emergency vet and they have got her back to almost normal. Her body temperture was 107 degrees and now the vet has said she might have brain damage because of the high temperture. He will not know till tomorrow morning. This dog has never had seizures in the past and is only seven years old.

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 10:34 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,890 times
Oh, that's so horrible! I'm so glad the emergency vet got her mostly stabilized. I really, really hope she doesn't have brain damage. How traumatic and infuriating. I once took my husband into the emergency room the day after having taken him to the doctor. The first doctor, it turns out, was a total idiot and the emergency room doctor was on the ball. I'm not religious, but I'll be sending you and your dog all the happy, positive thoughts I can.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:57 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,809 times
Sorry to hear that. It's so disturbing to know you can't do anything for them. Sometimes dogs just start having siezures. Mine did after about 5 years. She gets them occasionally and I still don't have any clue on what causes them. The one thing I did do was I started to make her own dog food. I don't have anything to support my views, but I feel it has something to do with her diet. This site might be informative to you.. hopefully it will just be an occasional occurance. I feel for you.
Canine epilepsy and diseases that cause seizures in dogs

Old 07-23-2008, 07:08 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
John,

I do understand how you feel but you are going to have to find another vet - one who you trust. They are a necessary evil... unfortunately.

Over the past 30 years or so I've had all kinds of bad veterinarian experiences. I've left more than once feeling like you do...

When I was 18, I worked in an office with 2 veterinarians. The two were as different as night and day. As an animal lover, I would never have left that field had my experience been different. One veterinarian was nothing but a dirty old man... that's all I have to say about him except that it was his practice. The other veterinarian was wonderful. He honestly cared about dogs (and animals) - not just about money. He refused to dock tails or crop ears... he thought it was cruel. When he left to start his own practice, I also left.

Since then, I've had a terrible experience where a vet perscribed medications that caused problems (heartworm meds) and then tried to blame it on a sudden onset food allergy and charged me another couple of hundred to fix it....

Some of them you can literally see dollar signs in their eyes. They'll do unneccessary surgerys and other things to dogs - just because they can.

I brought one of my birds to a veterinarian who was supposedly an avian veterinarian many years ago because another bird had bitten him on the wing and I couldn't get it to stop bleeding. They would not let me come back with them (that should have been my first clue)....

When they brought my sweet little cockatiel back to me they'd traumatized her more.Apparently they couldn't even trim beaks! They'd trimmed my gentle, sweet little birds beak back so far that it was also bleeding badly. It was cut WAY too far back... not just a little. I had not asked them to trim the birds beak - apparently they chose to trim it because they got bitten. Then, they tried to tell me that my bird may be sick and might not make it.... for some other reason that I can't remember. My bird was perfectly healthy except for the wing bite that I brought her in for. The only reason my bird would have died would be because of loss of more blood.... because of what they'd done to her. A bird can go into shock from blood loss pretty quickly. (That was about 5 years ago. She's still kicking.)

Unfortunately, these are only a FEW of my many bad veterinarian experiences - over my lifetime. There have been many, many more.

Please look around for another veterinarian. There's a thread on here about questions you should ask when looking for a veterinarian. I'll wager that you'll know what kind of person you're working with as soon as you start asking questions... many of them don't like it if you ask questions.

I hope your doggie is feeling better!

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-23-2008 at 08:29 AM..

Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 AM

Hi, I wondering if my dog's body temperture at 107 would cause brain damage? How would you know if the dogs brain is damaged? Also what made me mad at the first vet his emergency phone number didn't work at all. I called and there was no answer not even a answering machine.

Thanks, John

Last edited by JD59; 07-23-2008 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,257 times
I had a springer spaniel years ago that suddenly began having seizures when he was about a year old. I learned that spaniels are somewhat prone to seizures and Regis (my spaniel) spent the rest of his life on meds for that. Not sure it had anything to do with the vet he had seen a couple of days before...possibly the trauma of the vet's office triggered something that would have occurred anyway. Hard to say...but having a good vet is vital for any pet owner.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:14 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
John,

You have the right to be upset... IMHO.

But, that is a question for a veterinarian. I do think that a high temperature could cause the seizures. It could have been a reaction to a drug - you said he gave several shots. I don't know what was going on already with your dog's ears....

I recently was trying to find a veterinarian that has an emergency number in my new location. None here are open on Saturday. Only one even had a recorded message for emergencies. Even he persuaded me to wait until Monday (it was Saturday)... my dog was really sick.

What did the Emergency Vet say caused your problem? Have you spoken to the original veterinarian about what happened? What did they say?

I would certainly want to get their feedback on this problem!

BTW - Were any of the shots given DHLP vaccination? Many dogs have a serious reaction to the Leptospirosis vaccine - which can include high fever. Some dogs have even died from it. For this reason, some veterinarians give DHPP instead of DHLP vaccines.

You can Google "DHLP vaccination reaction" and you'll get a lot more information.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-23-2008 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-23-2008, 12:13 PM

Hi, Thank you all for the medical information.

John

Old 07-23-2008, 12:18 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,435 times
Which shots did your dog have ???

Old 07-23-2008, 12:49 PM

My emergency vet said all shots given to my dog by the first vet wasn't the problem but something else. The dog had about 6 shots all together at once. Some of the shots are Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, and Parvovirus, Rabies and another one. I gave the list of shots to the emergency vet and I don't have them. I will get the list back from him to be able to tell you what kind of shots. First vet game me some oral drugs to give her and here is what they are, Otomax 15 mg bottle, prednisone 20 mg, cephalexn 500 mgs capsules, interceptor 50-100 lbs dogs.

Thanks, John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs