Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,374,798 times

Advertisements

John I dont think its nothing the vet did... Most likely the Fever was caused by the Ear infection. 2nd High Fevers can cause seizures. As for Brain Damage while it happens its very rare.

How is your pup doing today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,918,081 times
Some vaccines, including rabies, have been linked to seizures in some dogs. Also, as janecj said, seizures often arise spontaneously and the cause is never completely known. The emergency vet could be right in saying that the seizures are unrelated to the shots, but that is a lot of vaccines in the dog's system all at once. It's usually a good idea to space out the shots every two weeks or so, in order to avoid overloading the dog's system. The Interceptor the vet gave you is a heartworm preventive, and is actually a good choice because other heartworm meds containing ivermectin can actually cause seizures.

Some vets are reluctant to criticize a peer, so the emergency vet may not be completely frank with you about what caused the problem, even if he knows. Ask around for recommendations for a new vet, and make an appointment to talk to him well in advance of the time you may need to take your dog there.

Good luck, John

Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 PM

960 posts, read 1,691,938 times
Geez, 6 shots for a 7 year old dog. Not a good choice on the part of the vet.

My vet is has been staggering my 9 year olds annuals. Out of the drugs you listed only Prednisone seems to stick out. Otomax is not taken internally and is basically just a topical for ears. My dog has taken Cephalexin antibiotic over the years and has had not problems. As I said, Prednisone (a steriod) is known to have very bad side affects in humans, but usually with long term usage. Why did your vet perscribe Prednisone?
But my guess is that it is a bad reaction to the combination of shots.

As far as temperature, dogs average temp is around 101 degrees. If this helps, an older person very close to me had a fever of 106 degrees with seizures (uncontrollable shaking) and suffered no brain damage.

Good thoughts go out to you and your dog. I wish your dog a very speedy recovery.

Last edited by Carbondated; 07-23-2008 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,649,859 times
IMHO if you don't feel comfortable with your vet, find another! It's just not worth it if you can't trust them. At one point I had gone to 4 different vet offices when we moved and the 4th one I felt confident enough with to keep as our vet.

Good luck

Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,673,383 times
I have found out that my emergency vet is working with the first vet and another on in town to. The emergency vet has told me he's been a vet for 38 years and never seen the shots given to my dog to cause these seizures. I wonder is the first vet visit was way to much for my dog to handle or stress her out. She never had a seizure before taking her to the vet. She had never been to a vet sence 2001 for anything.

Thanks, John

Old 07-23-2008, 01:48 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,374,798 times
What NO yearly visit for DHLPP..& what about Rabies?

Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,500,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
She never had a seizure before taking her to the vet. She had never been to a vet sence 2001 for anything.

Thanks, John
So that's why the vet was trying to "catch up" on all the shots then .

Old 07-23-2008, 05:56 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,673,383 times
The reason for not taking the dog to the vet every year is I got her from the dog pound and she hated vets for some reason. She fault like crazy going to vet and don't know why. She might have been abused at the dog pound here in Cookeville Tennessee when she was a pup.

John

Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,061,045 times
John,

Of the medications that you listed, the one that stood out to me was Interceptor. Did you start him on it? My last dog had a severe reaction to a Heartworm medication. It came on immediately after taking it. (oh yeah, that veterinarian denied that there was any connection, as well...)

Of the listed adverse reactions, convulsions is listed as one by Novartis, the manufacturer.

Adverse Reactions
The following adverse reactions have been reported following the use of INTERCEPTOR: Depression/ lethargy, vomiting, ataxia, anorexia, diarrhea, convulsions, weakness and hypersalivation.

http://www.interceptor.novartis.us/dog/en/label.shtml (broken link)

BTW - You can make your Veterinarian give a certificate for your dog's Rabies Vaccination that makes it good for 2 or 3 years.

Do you know what would happen to your dog if your dog accidentally scratched someone with their teeth (which is considered a bite) and your dog was not current on their rabies vaccination ???

How is your doggie doing?

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-23-2008 at 07:33 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,061,045 times
If a dog bites someone and has not been vaccinated for Rabies,... they may choose to test the dog for rabies. It is not a test that a dog can survive.

Animal Bites, Rabies and Quarantine in Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs