Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,074,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Some vaccines, including rabies, have been linked to seizures in some dogs. Also, as janecj said, seizures often arise spontaneously and the cause is never completely known. The emergency vet could be right in saying that the seizures are unrelated to the shots, but that is a lot of vaccines in the dog's system all at once. It's usually a good idea to space out the shots every two weeks or so, in order to avoid overloading the dog's system. The Interceptor the vet gave you is a heartworm preventive, and is actually a good choice because other heartworm meds containing ivermectin can actually cause seizures.

Some vets are reluctant to criticize a peer, so the emergency vet may not be completely frank with you about what caused the problem, even if he knows. Ask around for recommendations for a new vet, and make an appointment to talk to him well in advance of the time you may need to take your dog there.
Good luck, John
This is very good advice... I agree wholeheartedly. (except that Interceptor can also cause convulsions - per the manufacturer)

Just keep in mind that if it is the heartworm medicine, it will take time for it to work it's way out of his system. My dog was sick for almost a month when he had that reaction.

I hope your dog is feeling better tonight. I'm so sorry that you're both going through this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:23 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The reason for not taking the dog to the vet every year is I got her from the dog pound and she hated vets for some reason. She fault like crazy going to vet and don't know why. She might have been abused at the dog pound here in Cookeville Tennessee when she was a pup.

John
A friend of mine has a greyhound which is very afraid of the car and the vet's office. She found a mobile vet who comes to her home and it doesn't cost her any more per visit than a regular vet. Maybe that would work for your dog too.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:31 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,320,369 times
John, I have nothing to add...except that I'm terribly sorry you're having to go through this...hug the pup, and I hope things are better tonite as well.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:33 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,748,788 times
Hi, I went to see my dog today she was blinking her eyes and that's all. The vet tonight called me and said she starting to come out of it more and moving her eyes around and looking around the room.

My dogs has a 3/4 acre lot fenced in because I live in the city and have alway been afraid that they could get out and be run over by people speeding. My dogs live with me in my apartment and don't come in much contact with people and very little with other dogs also. I think of world of my dogs.

And I also wish we had mobile vets here but don't.
John

Last edited by JD59; 07-23-2008 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,074,990 times
Oh John. This is awful.

Is she in the hospital at the Emergency Vets?

Did he have anything further to say about what he thinks caused the problem?

Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 AM

I'm afraid that she not getting any better. She just lays there in one spot and doesn't move anything at all. I and the vet has no idea why she is doing this. Wonder if her brain has some much damage it cann't make any of her limbs move. She has been vomiting up green stuff and feces and vet doesn't know why. I have another dog that was raised with her and the dog is having a very hard time with her leaving.

Thanks, John

Last edited by JD59; 07-24-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,320,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I'm afraid that she not get any better. She just lays there in one spot and doesn't move anything at all. I and vet has no idea why she is doing this. Wonder if her brain has some much damage it cann't make any of her limbs move. She has been vomiting up feces and vet doesn't know why.

Vomiting up feces is a sign of an obstruction - has the vet made x-rays??? I guess if she is paralyzed that the bowel contents could back up into the belly if the flap between the belly and bowel isn't working and stopping the backflow. Oh dear...John, I'm sorry...

Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 AM

The vet has taken all x-rays and nothing has showed up. He showed them to me. They think she must have ate a plant of some kind that is poison.

John

Last edited by JD59; 07-24-2008 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 AM

13,942 posts, read 39,467,646 times
When my sheltie Misty blue was 9 she started vomiting feces...Dr checked her for kidney failure.....

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM

Hi, Just a half and hour ago I been to see my dog and she is moving her front legs and eyes moving alittle more to then yesterday. She fought the lab people when they give her a bath. She had two small seizures when I was there with her.

Thanks, John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs