Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:49 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,388,380 times

Advertisements

pmg i sure hope that sheetzu aint in the house having to potty indoors...........omg now i am worried about him too
i think i will call the pd now
edited to say i just called pd. they referred me to animal control., but they close at 5pm tomorrow and i wont get out of work till 6pm, so should i let them take the dogs and just tell them that if the owners dont come home, i will take the dogs and find them a home-just dont euthanize them? i mean, if i dont, and the owners dont show back up soon, the dogs could be in relentless heat for god knows how long.
by the way, the neighbors BOUGHT the house-its a huge two story fancy McMansion. their other car is in the driveway, so it's not like they just took off forever. if they are alive somewhere, they are coming back, but when!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
The police can check Inside the house for the other dog & look for contact numbers. & find out who their CO is...I would go that route & tell the police you are willing to care for the dogs. The police can cut the lock off...

Last edited by NOTAM; 08-14-2008 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times
If the police don't respond in a manner to your satisfaction, then you must call Animal Control, kill shelter or not those three dogs do not deserve to die due to heat stroke, even being euthanised is a better option!

Before anyone gets their dander up, remember I've spent many years in rescue with a no-kill agency and still say being put down humanely is a much better option than heatstroke.

If you speak with AC and the owners can't be located under their time conditions, see about working with them for breed specific rescues; Labs, Bassets and Shih Tzus all have breed specific rescue organizations all across this country.

Good Luck!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:58 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
pmg i sure hope that sheetzu aint in the house having to potty indoors...........omg now i am worried about him too
i think i will call the pd now
Oh God, Belle, what an awful situation. It's wonderful of you to step in and do what you can. I do have to disagree with you on one thing: There is absolutely NO excuse outside of death to leave dogs in that situation. None. At all.

Those poor dogs. You must be absolutely frazzled. I know I'd be out of my mind.

Keep us posted please.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 PM

thanks.well i just updated my post above yours, and PD wont get involved, so i will just call animal control at 9am tomorrow from work, when they open. i will also call my other neighbor who is always home, to be there to meet animal control when they get there so i have firsthand account of what interventions were made

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If the police don't respond in a manner to your satisfaction, then you must call Animal Control, kill shelter or not those three dogs do not deserve to die due to heat stroke, even being euthanised is a better option!

Before anyone gets their dander up, remember I've spent many years in rescue with a no-kill agency and still say being put down humanely is a much better option than heatstroke.

If you speak with AC and the owners can't be located under their time conditions, see about working with them for breed specific rescues; Labs, Bassets and Shih Tzus all have breed specific rescue organizations all across this country.

Good Luck!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Good idea to call animal control. Is there any way you can ask around on base and see if you can find the guy's CO? You could politely express your concern about seeing the dogs loose and being unable to contact the family. The CO won't have to tell you anything, but at least someone who's in contact with the guy will know he's an idiot.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:07 PM

leorah, first of all, thanks for the rep comment
and i DO agree with you that there is NO excuse outside of death to leave the dogs in that situation. i think i just worded it wrong.
if they are critically injured, surely the ED/ICU has contacted NOK (next of kin), and i know the soldier's dad lives in Wichita Falls (i met him), and i KNOW that his mom and dad would have driven down here to secure the dogs and house etc........after they got to the hospital to see them....or would have dispatched PD to my house to send the message and ask if i could take care of the dogs, or his dad would have notified his unit/squadron/battalion/section whatever, and make any necessary arrangements.

but aside from death and critical injury, i cant imagine leaving them to fend for themselves. EVEN if there is a self-watering system that i cannot visualize from my backyard, i am sure that water is evaporating like crazy-heck my pool needs to be filled CONSTANTLY due to the heat. and then there is the no shade thing.........
and then, there is the AWOL sheetzu...nowhere to be seen............
shesh i am going to lose sleep over this and i have to be at work in 8 hours..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Oh God, Belle, what an awful situation. It's wonderful of you to step in and do what you can. I do have to disagree with you on one thing: There is absolutely NO excuse outside of death to leave dogs in that situation. None. At all.

Those poor dogs. You must be absolutely frazzled. I know I'd be out of my mind.

Keep us posted please.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 PM

leorah...there is no way....this is the largest military installation in the world. 50,000 soldiers or more. it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. if i had just known his last name, or his unit, i would have been able to..........
knowing his unit, i would have been able to find out who PCS'd here last month from Ft Knox KY and then even though that could be hundreds of soldiers, surely someone in the Provost Marshall's office could match the current address of record with the correct soldier..

oh wait a minute...i got an idea......since we have locked mailboxes (community boxes) i cant get look at his mail to find a last name but I JUST REALIZED I CAN LOOK AT HIS DOD TAG NUMBER ON THE POV (PERSONALLY OWNED VEHICLE IN THE DRIVEWAY)!!!!
I CAN CALL PROVOST MARSHALL TOMORROW MORNING WITH THE DOD TAG NUMBER AND IT WILL DIRECTLY TELL THEM IN THE DATABASE WHO THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I AM GOING TO THE DRIVEWAY RIGHT NOW TO TAKE PIC OF IT AND WRITE THE DOD DECAL NUMBER DOWN!!!
I SHOULDA BEEN A DETECTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Good idea to call animal control. Is there any way you can ask around on base and see if you can find the guy's CO? You could politely express your concern about seeing the dogs loose and being unable to contact the family. The CO won't have to tell you anything, but at least someone who's in contact with the guy will know he's an idiot.

Last edited by NOTAM; 08-14-2008 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: add

4,334 posts, read 13,668,516 times
If that was me I would have found a way to get in that yard...a ladder and then up and over, get the dogs and put them in my basement if I had one. You gotta get them outta there. Those people should not have any animals period! If they do come back you will have to watch this everyday...UGH! Animal abuse! I could not! I hope that little ****su is not locked in a room in the home....call the police. Tell them you want to take control of the pets. If animal control comes you will lose control. What a touch situation. I bet they went on vaca and could give two sheets about those poor dogs! I see so many foreclosures here in Florida in poor areas and have seen dogs chained in sun to doghouses, laying on hot sand in sun,,,when people pack up and leave I always wonder what happened to the poor doggie...did they take it or lock it inside the home? Good for you, you are an animal lover and want to help!

681 posts, read 2,361,332 times
What a terrible situation they've put you in!

If I were in your shoes, I'd have ripped out a few more of those fence boards and let the dogs into my yard. Have a kiddie pool set up for them to splash in and have access to food. Not sure if your yard has shade tho, but even then a custom shade can be made with an old blanket and stakes.

And I'd be doing exactly what you've been doing as far as trying to contact the family.

I wish you the best of luck!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
oh wait a minute...i got an idea......since we have locked mailboxes (community boxes) i cant get look at his mail to find a last name but I JUST REALIZED I CAN LOOK AT HIS DOD TAG NUMBER ON THE POV (PERSONALLY OWNED VEHICLE IN THE DRIVEWAY)!!!!
I CAN CALL PROVOST MARSHALL TOMORROW MORNING WITH THE DOD TAG NUMBER AND IT WILL DIRECTLY TELL THEM IN THE DATABASE WHO THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I AM GOING TO THE DRIVEWAY RIGHT NOW TO TAKE PIC OF IT AND WRITE THE DOD DECAL NUMBER DOWN!!!
I SHOULDA BEEN A DETECTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Way to go, Belle!
No "shoulda been" about it--you ARE a detective!

Can't rep you again--system won't let me--but your perseverance is amazing. Now that you have a potential solution, I hope you can get some sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs