Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:23 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,319,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Way to go, Belle!
No "shoulda been" about it--you ARE a detective!

Can't rep you again--system won't let me--but your perseverance is amazing. Now that you have a potential solution, I hope you can get some sleep.
Heh, you can't rep her but I can. I know she's busting it to help these critters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:45 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,411,866 times
OK YALL UPDATE.
After I took pics of their DOD decal and license plate, I started going thru the FT HOOD directory to find the numbers to MPI (Military Police Investigations) or Provost Marshall or whatever i thought would be the best number to try first. As I was fixin' to dial, i heard a girl's/woman's voice, and i heard her say, i think, "they're here" and the lights to the backyard went on.
so THEY ARE HOME.
i am too tired to go over there to find out what happened, or what's the deal, or where the sheetzu is etc....i have to work tomorrow morning. but i know that they have read my two long letters of worry...........with all my contact info....so i am sure when i get home tomorrow evening from work, i will either see them in the front or back yard, or maybe they will have emailed me, or will call me..and i will find out what happened.
i WILL tell all of yall what their "excuse" was. i am not a mean person, so there is no way i will be able to scold them for leaving them home, if they just went on vacation for a few days. i will just tell them how worried i was, and go over everything i did for the dogs, and ask if they want to give me their contact numbers for the future...and of course reiterate what my letters say, that i am always willing to dog sit, no charge.
i am sure they have already seen tons of dog food scattered on the inside fence, bones that i have thrown into the yard, treats, and the big metal trough on the outside of the fence, where the dogs were able to stick their heads out thru the fence that they broke to try to get out of the yard, so they could drink water.
i hope that they dont get mad at me for being a meddling neighbor. i am JUST A DOG LOVER.
i will cry if they are mad and say something ugly to me.
my lease is up here in end of september anyway...i am moving further out into the country to a less expensive house anyway. i am just a renter.
stay tuned tomorrow evening for an update!!!
i am HITTIN THE HAY!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 PM

thank you . i appreciate it. read my update, below your post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Heh, you can't rep her but I can. I know she's busting it to help these critters

Old 08-14-2008, 10:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,535,598 times
Belle, I hope you're seeing some results .

Sadly, these kind of people are everywhere. I have a similar neighbor, and all the talking in the world is not going to make them better dog owners .

We had a similar scenario a few weekends back. I was woken up at 4am to barking, when it didn't stop, I went outside to take a look. I peeked over my fence to find that a tree had fallen on my neighbor's dog !

We could not get anyone to answer the door (all their cars were there), so we did what we could and pulled the tree off the dog (luckily, it pinched her cable lead by did not land on her back....missed her by about 2 feet), fed and watered her. We've had nothing but rain this summer - first time in years - and this little dog has no shelter, this little, 25lb dog is outdoors all the time .

The police came out and took a look, nothing they can do . Unless/until a dog is visibly, obviously being mistreated, the police can't do anything. No shelter from the rain? Not against the law. Don't feed your dog all weekend? Not against the law.

So I learned, at least for my city, the chain of command is:

Humane Society
Animal Control
Police

I hope for the day my neighbors will completely tire of that dog and ask me if I want her, I'd love to take her in, she's a sweetheart .

Belle, I hope there's some action. You have the MP on your side which is a huge boost, good job putting that to use .

Old 08-15-2008, 07:19 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,519,190 times
I know it's early...but I can't help but wonder what's happening to these guys? Any news?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:33 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,614,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
leorah...there is no way....this is the largest military installation in the world. 50,000 soldiers or more. it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. if i had just known his last name, or his unit, i would have been able to..........
knowing his unit, i would have been able to find out who PCS'd here last month from Ft Knox KY and then even though that could be hundreds of soldiers, surely someone in the Provost Marshall's office could match the current address of record with the correct soldier..

oh wait a minute...i got an idea......since we have locked mailboxes (community boxes) i cant get look at his mail to find a last name but I JUST REALIZED I CAN LOOK AT HIS DOD TAG NUMBER ON THE POV (PERSONALLY OWNED VEHICLE IN THE DRIVEWAY)!!!!
I CAN CALL PROVOST MARSHALL TOMORROW MORNING WITH THE DOD TAG NUMBER AND IT WILL DIRECTLY TELL THEM IN THE DATABASE WHO THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I AM GOING TO THE DRIVEWAY RIGHT NOW TO TAKE PIC OF IT AND WRITE THE DOD DECAL NUMBER DOWN!!!
I SHOULDA BEEN A DETECTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
If you dont know their last name go on the property tax site for the address put that in and it will bring up their last name. Then call the Base and ask for the Base locator and you should be able to find out either his work number or his Commanders then speak to him. They will sort it out and should know where he is if he is on leave they will have a contact number for where he is.
Sorry wrote this before I read your last post !!!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 AM

378 posts, read 1,656,655 times
Did you hear anything yet?

Old 08-15-2008, 12:39 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,053,792 times
Belle,
Bless you for coming to the aid of these animals!!!!! You saved their lives!!! I hope they're doing fine now and that the owners learned a big lesson about proper pet care! I get so upset when I see dogs tied to trees and such in our awful Texas summer heat, sigh. You did good, gal!

Tea

Old 08-15-2008, 05:36 PM

hey yall! (and special howdy to my teatime buddy up the road from me in abilene!!)
i just got home from work. i checked my AKO email all day (the email address i gave them in the letter), and no email. no phone calls during the day on my blackberry. no voice mail on home phone, and no response letter on my door. they are all home right now. i am not going to go walk over there and ask. i am going to wait for them to approach me. they cant avoid me-we live right next to each other, so sooner or later they will run into me. maybe they will come over to explain, now that they see my pickup truck in my driveway. i WILL keep yall updated. i promise. oh, and of course, if i see them in the front yard as i walk my dogs this evening, if they dont initiate a conversation and explanation after the howdy exchanges, i will have no option but to ask them what happened AND also where is the sheetzu...i have not gone outside to my backyard to see if sheetzu is rejoined with the other two dogs. i did notice the fence was fixed however in the front yard area where the dogs had been getting out. yall will be the FIRST to know. so stay tuned!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:42 PM

By the way, a story of interest for those of yall who have followed this thread...........
I have had one of my friends keep repeating to me "the good-deed doer and practictioner of random acts of kindness"...that "NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED"...........well i copied and pasted my blog on online journal for yall to read what happened to me in May regarding a stranger's dog:

May 8, 2008 - Thursday

WHY MY LIFE IS TOTAL CHAOS TONITE-I WAS A GOOD SAMARITAN TODAY

Today I had a patient in the Recovery Room, who had emergency surgery. Just another average day. When I finally got her woken up, I asked her who was in the waiting room for her. She said, "NOBODY". I knew she was an Army spouse, so I asked her where her husband was. She told me he was in Iraq. I asked her how she got to the Emergency Room this morning at 5am. (I had her in the afternoon in my care). She said "a cab". I asked her if she had kids or pets. She said she had a dog. I asked her where was her dog. She told me he was at home. I asked her if someone was taking care of him. She said she had no friends and didnt really know her neighbors (she lived off post). I knew she was going to spend the night at the hospital. I told her I would be getting off at 19:00 and I would come to her hospital room and pick up her house keys and get directions and go get her dog and bring it to my house to spend the night with me and my dogs.
I went to her second floor apartment, and found the dog at 745pm caged in a crate. He had been there since 5am. Needless to say, he had to do his business right away outdoors after I got him dressed in his collar and leash. He was also very nervous, excited, and scared. I took this dog (a Jack Russell Terrier), into my pickup truck, and drove through Fort Hood/Killeen area west out into the country where I live, via the highway, with a very hyper Jack Russell jumping into my lap, on my shoulders, trying to crawl under my legs obstructing my ability to use the gas and brake pedals, and he also would jump on the sides of the doors which would cause his paws to hit the buttons that automatically open the windows. It was a very scary horrible drive. I got him to my house, he is still hyper but having fun playing with my dogs. So much for my peaceful nite, but now I can sleep at nite knowing i dont have to worry about the poor dog. I will deliver him to her tomorrow, and even offered to pick her up from the hospital if she wants since I am off tomorrow. I am EXHAUSTED. This was my good deed and I feel good about myself even though I was inconvenienced

ADDENDUM THAT I NEVER ADDED TO ABOVE BLOG. That "one night" dogsitting thing, ended up being a whole weekend-cuz she had complications and had to stay for three nights inpatient at the hospital. It got so bad, that finally on the third day, I was at my wits end. My whole weekend was ruined, I was hostage to my own house having to monitor the crazy dog, and I finally did what I had to do-bring the dog to the kennel of the owner's choice because I was going to have a nervous breakdown. (oh and believe me, i am VERY good at managing dogs-this one was OUT OF CONTROL). I felt bad doing that, but had no other choice for mental healths sake

Last edited by NOTAM; 08-15-2008 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: addendum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs