Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:49 PM

4,267 posts, read 11,454,403 times

Advertisements

bellestatoftexas - please keep us updated. You are a good soul! Thank goodness for kind people such as yourself. You have a heart as big as Texas!! Thank you!
Lisa - another animal lover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,622,449 times
I have to ask do any of you dog lovers have a card in your wallet that says you have pets at home and have a contact number for someone willing to look after your pets should you be in an accident and unableto talk? It is something to think about .

I too work in a hospital and we got a woman from a bad accident when I met her she had just arrived in the ICU intubated with very bad injuries later that night we did get her extubated and I had on my scrub top with dogs so she figured I liked dogs and told me she was very worried as her cattle dog was in the truck with her and she did not know what had happened to him. I promised to find out and called the CHP who were not much help so the next morning I contacted animal control in the city were the accident happened and they said they would get back to me. Turns out the news was not good the dog had been killed but at least animal control said they would hold its body for her to decided what she wanted to do with it and at least she knew what had happened. As she and I both agreed it was worse not knowing then knowing the truth that he had died.

Accidents happen and non of us are immune to them and that is something to think about, You may just be running out to get Milk and not return because of an accident so make sure your pets are covered.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:41 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,407,688 times
bless you for following up on her dog.

i am glad you brought up ICE (in case of emergency)contact info.

yes, having been an ER nurse for years, i am definitely very in touch with my mortality, and have seen a million times how anything can happen anytime anywhere.. so i have almost all bases covered, especially since i have very little family and none anywhere within a thousand miles of me. i am alone here with my dogs. this is what i do:

1) i have ICE numbers (several, with alternates) on my blackberry phone, with notes stating relationship e.g. sister, friend, coworker etc. i will definitely work on a card in my wallet regarding my furbabies. thanks.

2) i have my FIVE WISHES (a sort of advanced directive) filled out, which is a nice document (google it-you can order them, i think free), that really gets into the very specifics of what your wishes are. i have my furbabies godparents listed there, with specific instructions that if anything were to happen to me, my dogs are to be given to them. i do need to copy the document and send one to some family members too.

3) i have a self-waterer in the kitchen that i keep FULL all the time...just because i am going to walmart for a quick trip, does not guarantee i will be back-i could hit a deer and roll over in my truck and end up in the ER. i also keep a metal trough that connects to my backyard water faucet, that keeps water level full at all times by a "floating" device inside it. i also keep dry dog food filled to the top in a bowl in the kitchen.

4) i keep an extra house key in a hiding place outside of my house. the neighbors know where it is, in case of an emergency and they need to access my house.

5) i also try to make sure anywhere i live, my neighbors have my contact info-mobile/home/work numbers, email address, and my emergency family contact numbers. i also try to make sure someone in my family has names and contact info of my neighbor(s) and friends/coworkers...in case my family didnt hear from me and started getting worried

i welcome any other ideas, things to do for planning ahead. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I have to ask do any of you dog lovers have a card in your wallet that says you have pets at home and have a contact number for someone willing to look after your pets should you be in an accident and unableto talk? It is something to think about .

I too work in a hospital and we got a woman from a bad accident when I met her she had just arrived in the ICU intubated with very bad injuries later that night we did get her extubated and I had on my scrub top with dogs so she figured I liked dogs and told me she was very worried as her cattle dog was in the truck with her and she did not know what had happened to him. I promised to find out and called the CHP who were not much help so the next morning I contacted animal control in the city were the accident happened and they said they would get back to me. Turns out the news was not good the dog had been killed but at least animal control said they would hold its body for her to decided what she wanted to do with it and at least she knew what had happened. As she and I both agreed it was worse not knowing then knowing the truth that he had died.

Accidents happen and non of us are immune to them and that is something to think about, You may just be running out to get Milk and not return because of an accident so make sure your pets are covered.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:43 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,429,880 times
I use to carry pic with all the dogs information in my dash...just in case of accident. Also were several friends & vet numbers. As a breeder with lots of dogs & I kept a sheet of paper list of which dogs were with me that day. I did the same thing when I took my horses anywhere. And I never ever left home without telling at least 1 friend...just in case. Yes drove my friends crazy but at least if something would have happened I knew the animals were cared for.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:49 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,689,329 times
Good advice about pet info. I always hate traveling far for fear something will happen and I will not get home to my doggies. Even traveling close something could hapen too. I will make a little folder and keep it in my pocketbook with all dogs pics and a key outside the house. Yikes, right now I am stuck with an alcy, if anything happened to me my dogs would not survive without me. Something to think about and plan for! Whenever I leave the house I leave the inside door open and they all lay on the rug by the glass storm door watching me. They stay there until Mommy comes back home.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 PM

Actually I know this works...When I broke my arm & ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks Several friends took over the care of my animals. None knew each other before! But they all went to check on my kids [yes dogs] & they figured out days & times among them selves to come feed & water. EVEN the dog warden was in on it!!
BTW Not 1 person came to visit me!!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:18 PM

wow thats great. if something similiar happens to me, sure i would like visitors, but my dogs are more important than myself, so if they are taken care of, that's all that matters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Actually I know this works...When I broke my arm & ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks Several friends took over the care of my animals. None knew each other before! But they all went to check on my kids [yes dogs] & they figured out days & times among them selves to come feed & water. EVEN the dog warden was in on it!!
BTW Not 1 person came to visit me!!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 PM

good i am glad that you are going to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Good advice about pet info. I always hate traveling far for fear something will happen and I will not get home to my doggies. Even traveling close something could hapen too. I will make a little folder and keep it in my pocketbook with all dogs pics and a key outside the house. Yikes, right now I am stuck with an alcy, if anything happened to me my dogs would not survive without me. Something to think about and plan for! Whenever I leave the house I leave the inside door open and they all lay on the rug by the glass storm door watching me. They stay there until Mommy comes back home.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 PM

I was ok with not having visitors...ALL worked full time jobs had hubby & wives & kids & creatures of their own. But they all called & kept me updated! I even had a friend taking care of my Boss... She was handicap & need household help & a driver. My vet had his hands in it too He delivered 3 litters of pups!! Well needless to say they were all happy when I got home!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:33 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,703,939 times
I just read this entire thread and I'm so glad you were there for those dogs. I really don't know what these people were thinking when they did this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs